She's one Scary Lady

BlueCloud2k2

Just needed to put down some thoughts for a potential villainess. I use 5e though I'm not afraid to use elements of 6e (AVAD for example)

Possible Names: Fearmonger, Phobia, Blasphemy

30 I know your fears: Telepathy 6d6, 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Only to discern fears and phobias (-1/2)

60 Wide-Spread Terror: Suppress INT, EGO, PRE, and Mental Defense 4d6; Reduced Endurance Cost (Half END, +1/4), AVAD (Mental Defense +0), Power and Effects are Invisible to Mental Sense Group (+1), AoE (6" Radius; +1), Megascale (1" = 1km; +1/4); (90 Active Points); No Range (-1/2); (60 real cost); 4 END

90 Fear Mongering Multipower 90-pt reserve
12v Fear Projection Mental Illusions 12d6; 6 END
45v Fearful Images Images to Sight Group, Sound Group, Smell and Touch Groups, -3 to PER Rolls; 16" Radius (+1); (68 Active Points); Only to create images that inspire Fear (-1/2); (Real Cost 45)

12v Inspire True Fear Drain PRE 6d6; AVAD (Mental Defense +0); (60 Active Points); 6 END

6v Fear Me! +45 PRE (45 Active Points); Offensive Use Only (-1/2)

5f Fear Conjuring Summon 4x 100pt creatures; Slavishly Loyal (+1) (60 Active Points); Increased END Cost (x2 END; -1/2) plus: Expanded Class (Any Type of Being) (30 Active Points); Can only summon that which would invoke fear (-1/2), Increased END Cost (x2 END; -1/2); (Real Cost 55)

Another slot for her MP:

15v Your fear will kill you RKA 2d6; AVAD (Mental Defense +1/2), Does Body (+1); (75 Active Points); 7 END

I'm still trying to decide power origin.

Magical is too obvious. Maybe alien tech - Hzeel possibly. Maybe a Hzeel Neural Interface.

Mutant is doable, but again seems to obvious.

Possible Complications:

Psych: Psychopathically Fearless (Common, Total)

Psych: Casual Killer (Common, Moderate)

In the past I've toyed with designing the D&D Phantasmal Killer spell as Mental Illusions, No Conscious Control (Greatest fear; -1), Mandatory Effect (EGO +30; -3/4). The power only works if they achieve the level needed for a Major Change that causes BODY and STUN. The target is attacked by an illusion of their greatest fear that can actually cause lethal damage.

Curious about the concept here. What is the source of her powers?

Is she a mentalist who specializes in Fear?

Because, in my opinion, these don't all fit in a single source/origin concept. Summon animals and light illusions seem to have no common element with the rest of them (i.e. why would a mentalist who specializes in projecting fear be able to summon animals).

On the other hand, if it's Magic-based, then there's nothing wrong with her deciding to mix and match spells to suit her own idea of a villain concept.

If you're scared of spiders she can summon spiders. Or she can create illusions of spiders. It's all based on creating things/illusions that frighten the target. She can also discover the targets greatest fears and even induce a nameless, even primordial panic.

It seems a pretty tight concept to me.

If you're scared of spiders she can summon spiders. Or she can create illusions of spiders. It's all based on creating things/illusions that frighten the target. She can also discover the targets greatest fears and even induce a nameless, even primordial panic.

It seems a pretty tight concept to me.

I get the mechanic, but what does summoning animals have to do with projecting illusions? It seems like the powers were assembled from a book  :winkgrin: , rather than from an origin of a character.

Obvious closely-related powers

I know your fears: Telepathy (Mental reading)
Wide-Spread Terror: Suppress (Mental Broadcast)
Fear Projection : Mental Illusions (Mental Broadcast)
Inspire True Fear : Drain PRE (Mental Attack)
Fear Me! : PRE (Mental Attack)

Unrelated:
Fearful Images : Images (Projection of real, physical light images)

Unrelated:
Fear Conjuring : Summon (Control and transport of specific animals)

So, she has three unrelated powers

Again, if the source of her powers were magical, and she could choose which powers she wanted (because she liked the way the concept came together), it makes sense, but I don't see how a adeptness at mental powers could project light images.

It's just my opinion - I'm big on plausible power sources.

Again, if the source of her powers were magical, and she could choose which powers she wanted (because she liked the way the concept came together), it makes sense, but I don't see how a adeptness at mental powers could project light images.

I would define her powers as mentalism/dimensional.  She is psychically attuned to a non-Euclidean dream dimension, from which she is able to draw energy and beings that take the form of the fears she gets from other people.  (See: Ghostbusters' Zuul, Clive Barker's Imajica, HP Lovecraft's Dreamlands.)  Of course it's only a matter of time before she gets noticed by sanity-shattering extradimensional bad guys who use her as a conduit to enter our plane.

I get the mechanic, but what does summoning animals have to do with projecting illusions? It seems like the powers were assembled from a book  :winkgrin: , rather than from an origin of a character.

Obvious closely-related powers

I know your fears: Telepathy (Mental reading)
Wide-Spread Terror: Suppress (Mental Broadcast)
Fear Projection : Mental Illusions (Mental Broadcast)
Inspire True Fear : Drain PRE (Mental Attack)
Fear Me! : PRE (Mental Attack)

Unrelated:
Fearful Images : Images (Projection of real, physical light images)

Unrelated:
Fear Conjuring : Summon (Control and transport of specific animals)

So, she has three unrelated powers

It's just my opinion - I'm big on plausible power sources.

Maybe she's attuned some a Fear" Dimension and can pull the energy/matter from it to form cohesive images. or the Summon Creatures and Images are extremely powerful mental constructs, so powerful they're effectively real or they're manifestations of her unconscious psychokinetic powers. She could be a reality manipulator but I guess that's "magic" with a different tag line.

Other potential slots:

Amplify Fear: A Mental Transformation that either takes a minor fear and turns it into a actual Phobia (Disadvantage) or increases one  of the character's current fears, such as taking a minor phobia and making it crippling. The Disadvantages can be fear based but more than simple phobias like "Fear a loved one will be hurt" or "fear of failure" for more creative use. Mind Control might be better for a shorter term effect.

Crippled by Fear: Entangle vs Ego, Based on ECV. The target is overcome a fear so intense they can't do anything at all.

Trapped in a nightmare: add Blocks Sight, Hearing, Touch, Time Sense and Smell/Taste. The target it essentially locked into into a horrible dream and cut off from the real world.

Mental Block: She can make a particular memory irrationally frightening and painful to bear, essentially forming a mental block. The target knows there's something, some information or memory but it too terrified by it to recover it so has  effectively forgotten int or will no act on or reveal it.

Another reference character would be Pitch, aka The Boogeyman, from Rise of the Guardians: (scroll down to powers and abilities)

"Dreamsand" again amounts to magic, more or less, but it would unify the listed powers under a single special effect of "directing magic stuff".

Rise of the Guardians was a surprisingly good film--basically a superhero movie with Santa Claus.

Basically the Summoning bit is using whatever her power source is to warp reality, creating a manifestation of the fear.

Not so much that she is summoning the creature as creating it out of the fabric of reality. I'm thinking it should have an increased endurance cost to reflect that it is in fact an act of creation.