Doctor Solar: Man of the Atom

John Desmarais

Obviously a 400 point character would be a 400 point character, not a Dr Manhattan analogue.

He'd be a flying fire/energy blaster guy, maybe with extra strength, definitely with a slot or two of non-blast-y powers multipowered with his blasts. Probably enhanced senses and life support. Science-y skills.

Probably can't afford to be truly brick tough, but tough-ish.

Strangely enough, I don't have one sitting on my hard drive.

You might be able to find a similar character write-up somewhere, but it might be just as easy to do your own rather than convert. A back of the envelope build wouldn't take more than ten minutes. Of course you'll have to co-write the background with the player, to make sure that the character sheet and fluff text match. Obviously the basic background would be cut, paste and file off the serial numbers from the original character.

He's kind of like Dr. Manhattan from the Watchmen.  I can't think of a way to get him in on a 400 point starting budget and once you go higher I wouldn't know where to stop.  I could easily see him costing 1000+ points.

I'm not too concerned with total cost. When dealing characters adapted from other sources much of the high total cost is a matter of how the writer perceives power scales in the source setting (the old "how strong is Superman?" question). Any relatively well thought write up would give me a place to start or things to steal and scale to my game.

P.s.

Answer to Superman question: Either at least as strong as the strongest hero or regular villain in you campaign, or at your campaign max is you have one.

Obviously a 400 point character would be a 400 point character, not a Dr Manhattan analogue.

He'd be a flying fire/energy blaster guy, maybe with extra strength, definitely with a slot or two of non-blast-y powers multipowered with his blasts. Probably enhanced senses and life support. Science-y skills.

Probably can't afford to be truly brick tough, but tough-ish.

Strangely enough, I don't have one sitting on my hard drive.

You might be able to find a similar character write-up somewhere, but it might be just as easy to do your own rather than convert. A back of the envelope build wouldn't take more than ten minutes. Of course you'll have to co-write the background with the player, to make sure that the character sheet and fluff text match. Obviously the basic background would be cut, paste and file off the serial numbers from the original character.

I went ahead and started a write up based on the character description on comicvine.com. It's looking a lot like what you've described above.

He's kind of like Dr. Manhattan from the Watchmen.  I can't think of a way to get him in on a 400 point starting budget and once you go higher I wouldn't know where to stop.  I could easily see him costing 1000+ points.

You know, the guy you want for a write up like this is Hyper-Man. He's awesome at shoe-horning the depth and sense and flavor of any character of any power level into a quite moderate number of points. If Hyper-Man can't do it, no one.. Oh. Uh. That's you.

Heh.

Um, to quote Tyrion Lannister, perhaps you could try to want something different?

He's a flying teleporter with desolid, an RKA, and clairsentience who can boost his powers with radiation.

His life support and resistant defenses are average.

He has susceptibility to his goggles being removed, and vulnerability to drains. Oh, and he has the side effect: causes cancer after brief exposure.

I don't really see the fuss, as this isn't a terribly hard build to achieve with balance and have points left over for Science: Nuclear Physics, his only apparent skill other than perhaps Power skill and CSLs.

The problem will be when you try to integrate Dr. Leading Cause of Cancer with a team, or any of his opponents realize shooting his goggles and running away will be more fun than a barrel of monkeys with lightning flying out of their butts.

He's a flying teleporter with desolid, an RKA, and clairsentience who can boost his powers with radiation.

He has susceptibility to his goggles being removed, and vulnerability to drains. Oh, and he has the side effect: causes cancer after brief exposure.

I don't really see the fuss, as this isn't a terribly hard build to achieve with balance and have points left over for Science: Nuclear Physics, his only apparent skill other than perhaps Power skill and CSLs.

The problem will be when you try to integrate Dr. Leading Cause of Cancer with a team, or any of his opponents realize shooting his goggles and running away will be more fun than a barrel of monkeys with lightning flying out of their butts.

I may drop the "walking cancer source" aspect.

Clairsentience?  I'm not arguing this, just not sure I've ever seen it - but I've also not read a lot of Doctor Solar comics.  What's the concept behind it for him?

The problem is Dr. Solar (early version) and Solar, Man of the Atom(later version) are very different characters.

The early version is what one can reasonably make. He 'd be slightly better than the version of Firestorm used in The Flash. Just add some senses and power stunts and a moderate amount of STR. Flavor with his side effects and you're golden.

Solar, Man of the Atom would be more a combination of New 52 Captain Atom and Firestorm. Powerful Brick, Master of Quantum, Subatomic and Atomic energies and Reality Warper. Detachment from humanity is an ongoing issue but as overpowered as Silver Age Superman.

Dr. Solar, the original, had two aspects of clairsentience: 

1. Sonic retrocognition: by selectively amplifying the fading reverberations of sounds in the molecules of a location, Dr. Solar could eavesdrop on what had been said there in the past.

2. Split existence: while leading a life (in isolation except for a few minutes of heavily shielded contact) on Earth, Dr. Solar had a second version of himself in mental contact with the first, wandering the Universe and exploring its wonders in the form of pure energy.

He appeared uninterested in using the split existence to spy on local events, given the form was even more lethal than the solid one.

Dr. Solar, the original, had two aspects of clairsentience: 

1. Sonic retrocognition: by selectively amplifying the fading reverberations of sounds in the molecules of a location, Dr. Solar could eavesdrop on what had been said there in the past.

2. Split existence: while leading a life (in isolation except for a few minutes of heavily shielded contact) on Earth, Dr. Solar had a second version of himself in mental contact with the first, wandering the Universe and exploring its wonders in the form of pure energy.

He appeared uninterested in using the split existence to spy on local events, given the form was even more lethal than the solid one.

Funky.

The problem is Dr. Solar (early version) and Solar, Man of the Atom(later version) are very different characters.

The early version is what one can reasonably make. He 'd be slightly better than the version of Firestorm used in The Flash. Just add some senses and power stunts and a moderate amount of STR. Flavor with his side effects and you're golden.

Solar, Man of the Atom would be more a combination of New 52 Captain Atom and Firestorm. Powerful Brick, Master of Quantum, Subatomic and Atomic energies and Reality Warper. Detachment from humanity is an ongoing issue but as overpowered as Silver Age Superman.

I think I'm heading for something in-between. Mostly the earlier version with some select bits from the later one(s).

Professor Plague, at least, has villainous potential.  The name sounds like a threat with which to be reckoned, a carrier of disease and infirmity.

Doctor Dysentery--not so much.  Weaponized diarrhea is even less fun than weaponized flatulence, no matter how thoroughly you are into gross-out humor.