Teleport Enemy Weapons To Disarm

g3taso

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played many moons ago in 4th edition and earlier, dropped out over Fusion and 5th Edition, came back with Champions Complete.  Been playing catch-up ever since.

I now have PDF's of 6E1&2, and am currently running a game again (Yay).  I sometimes revert to old 4th rules, which generally isn't a problem but can occasionally be one.

Thanks for all the comments and clarifications from all of you! 

You and Christopher obliquely raise the same point. I can use Disarm/Grab, but my objection to just using them is they don't have the right "feel". I'm not trying to Hulk Hogan "rip it out of their mitts", when they are very likely stronger than me. Barring attacking a wizard or Professor X, most opponents can beat STR 14.

On the other hand, using a Disarm/Grab using something other than STR would seem to be perfectly workable. Is there a modifier that lets an opposed STR grab/disarm for taking a weapon be based on opposed DEX rather that STR?  I'd be interested in the Palindromedary and friends could help with a HD-style output for that. (I'm away from home).

Given that Disarm and Grab Weapon are standard maneuvers, what exactly is it you want to do, that you can't do with those maneuvers?

Speedsters use teleport for all kinds of non-teleporting maneuvers.  It represents someone moving so fast that no one can react or oppose with strength.  I don't know if that's what he has in mind here but the concept is perfectly valid.  I have a spell in my Fantasy Codex that allows a mage to teleport items out of someone's hand, for example.

Given that Disarm and Grab Weapon are standard maneuvers, what exactly is it you want to do, that you can't do with those maneuvers?

Okay, so I bolded the part that answers my question.

You and Christopher obliquely raise the same point. I can use Disarm/Grab, but my objection to just using them is they don't have the right "feel". I'm not trying to Hulk Hogan "rip it out of their mitts", when they are very likely stronger than me. Barring attacking a wizard or Professor X, most opponents can beat STR 14.

On the other hand, using a Disarm/Grab using something other than STR would seem to be perfectly workable. Is there a modifier that lets an opposed STR grab/disarm for taking a weapon be based on opposed DEX rather that STR?  I'd be interested in the Palindromedary and friends could help with a HD-style output for that. (I'm away from home).

Some Options:

Buying Martial Maneuvers that add to STR for a specialized purpose.

Buying STR outright that is Limited to a given purpose.

Buying Sleight of Hand up to insane levels and invoke the Extraordinary Feat rule that lets you do the "impossible" with a Skill with a penalty of -10.

Buying Change Environment with a penalty to the DEX roll and the consequence of failing the roll is losing a held item.

There are probably better ideas I'm just not thinking of right now.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks that Change Environment might be the best option.

Change Environment 4" radius, -4 to DEX Roll Or Lose Held Item                or something like that?

Not necessarily with a Radius. It can target an individual. But yes, like that.

Lucius Alexander

-2 to DEX Roll or Fall off Palindromedary

If someone wanted to disintegrate/vaporize an enemy weapon would it be done the same way? Or Transform? 

Couple ways to do it.  Transform "weapon to dust" would do it.  So would just a killing attack that only affects foci.  Or you could use a body Drain (inanimate objects never recover their Body and are destroyed when they are reduced below 1).  There are some other options.

Limited Power Solid Non-Living Items Only

This is a limitaiton?  Hmm.  It seems more like a way of getting round teleporting the whole thing, character and all.  Certainly not a -1, possibly even costs you, if it was allowed at all.  For some it is the equivalent of teleporting their powers away.

Anyway: if a focus is accessible then you can take it away in combat.  Effectively, all you want to do is add 'ranged' to a maneouvre.  There may well be rules for that somewhere, but, if not, it does not sound like an expensive thing to do.  No, you can not stick that in a multipower.

If you want to take away an inaccessible focus in combat, what you are looking for is 'dispel'.

Of course the real problem here is that 'focus' is a legacy limitation and shout be re-written.  It is difficult to overstate how much I fail to appreciate the combination of advantage (here, borrow my healing rod, it is accessible) and limitaiton (hey, you borrowed my healing rod without permission!).  Seriously, not difficult to sort out.

Of course if you want to take something away from someone and use it against them, that is a whole other thing.  See above for the discussion (albeit mainly in hint form) about the problems with the focus 'limtiaiton'.  Basically, a universal accessible focus CAN be taken away and used against you.  Boo-yah!

The problem here is that the rules are not logical, and, arguably, that is fine.  Just because it makes sense that, if you can teleport stuff, you can teleport bits of stuff does not mean that is how the rules are written.  Otherwise I'd just teleport everone's head over here and leave the rest of them over there.

There could e a way around the teleport possibility  problem but then we tend toward genre specificity.  In a generic system we need to cater for many genres.  Never forget that Hero is a set of rules: do not try to apply logic to that: if in doubt, follow the rule.  If that makes no sense from the point of view of the power you are building, you are doing it wrong.

So, you can probably, with the right modifiers, teleport a gun out of someone's hand, but you can not teleport a set of armour off someone you are fighting, unless it has been built in a really weird way.

You also can not teleport an I-beam inside someone, no matter how you built the teleport power.  You CAN if you built it as a killing attack.

CF: Miracleman and the Warpsmiths.