A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Went for an epic level dump, you know the kind that is so full of digested food particles that it is a light beige as opposed to a darker more blood rich turd?

Anyway, it took 20 minutes to get everything out and I mean everything, I think I'm missing a lung.

Urgh, I feel like McCoy after a hard night with Mr right.

I have come to the conclusion I need less stress in my life.

I've also come to the conclusion that's unlikely to happen as long as other people exist, mainly because so many of them seem to be be self-centered jackasses.

I've reached a third conclusion which is "It's a good thing I don't seem to have it in me to become an axe-wielding maniac, suicide sniper, or maker and user of home-built explosives."

I hate having to register train people who are more competent than me. While it's nice to get away from the computer for about 2 hours, the feeling stupid part could be skipped entirely.

Basically, the guy's a freelance writer (published) who needed a day job, probably at least 10 years older than me, funnier, and about a foot and a half taller.

Yeesh.

A woman who dresses as Ronald McDonald and takes pictures.

A person who has amassed an enormous COBRA army of action figures.

Another who has an awe inspiring video game collection, and what appears to be a couch modeled after a Nintendo.

Two thoughts:

1) The boards are a great place to learn about other's hobbies.

2) My hobbies are dull.

Guest Skaramine

TOKYO (AP) - A small walking man-shaped robot for home security and entertainment is going on sale in Japan for 588,000 yen ($5,450).

The 15-inch tall, 5.5 pound robot called nuvo from ZMP Inc. also comes in a fancier $8,200 version with the same functions and a design inspired by lacquer-ware painted on its body.

The robot can walk, get up and respond to voice commands such as "turn right." It links to mobile phones so that people can check on images of their homes taken on a digital camera inside the robot's head. It can be controlled by a remote and is programmed to do a dance. It also makes musical sounds.

The creators are billing the machine as an eye-pleasing addition to fashionable homes, the collaboration of a designer and a choreographer as well as a computer chip maker.

Tokyo-based ZMP is planning to sell 2,300 robots, and shipments are set for late April. Orders are being taken through the Internet and robots will also be sold at a Tokyo shop. The robots are being sold only in Japan, the company said.

Japan leads the world in robotics, and Japanese companies, including automakers Honda Motor Co. (HMC) and Toyota Motor Corp., have produced experimental human-shaped robots. Sony Corp. (SNE) has sold the Aibo dog-shaped entertainment robots, but ZMP says it's the first to mass-produce humanoids for the home. ---

JAPAN_ROBOT.sff_TOK116_20050412053113.jpg

Three 39 centimeter (15 inch) tall, 2.5 kilogram (5.5 pound) robots called nuvo from ZMP Inc. dance together during a demonstration in Tokyo Tuesday, April 12, 2005. The small walking man-shaped robot for home security and entertainment is going on sale in Japan for 588,000 yen (US$5,450; euro 4,200). The robot can walk, get up after it falls and respond to voice commands, such as "get up" or "turn right." It links to mobile phones so that people can check on images of their homes taken on a digital camera inside the robot's head. (AP Photo/Itsuo Inouye)

Now that is phat!

I'm (still) out of ice cream, I don't wanna go to work tomorrow, I'm getting way too fond of a woman not my girlfriend (not that I'll do anything about it), I'm anxious about performing a eulogy/memorial service on Sunday, and I'm really, really broke.

In that order.

I mean, seriously, the world would be so much easier to handle with ice cream at hand.

I'm 38, with a small group of 17-18 year-olds that seem to look up to me as a combination of older brother and father-figure. I guess that's because I'm twice their age and a "responsible" adult, yet I can still treat them like equals, play the card and RPG games they like, and generally be at ease with them. In any case, it seems to be a "winning" combo.

The problem is that when two of them who are long-time boyfriend/girlfriend begin to have troubles...well, I have told all of them in the past (and meant it) that I'm available any time of day or night if they need to talk. Tonight was one of those nights. It was the guy of the relationship that gave me the call, and it took almost zero prompting to get him to come over for face-to-face. I don't know if my advice or insights will help, but I at least ended up managing to take his mind off his troubles for a couple of hours when the conversation turned to non-relationship things.

I like all these teenagers a lot, I know how these things tear them up inside (having "been there" myself) and I know that even if they won't say so, they don't believe me when I tell them they will survive it and they will come out of the other side eventually.

The real kicker is seeing the rocks ahead and having that helpless feeling that nothing I can say or do will keep them from hitting the rocks...

:(

Someone brought me an apple today.

While I appreciate the sentiment, I don't eat food if I don't know where it came from. Kind of a personal rule.

I hope someone tells me who brought it. It looks good.

It's just odd to return to one's office and find an apple on one's desk.

Was re-reading "Cold Streets" by P.N. Elrod, and got to wondering where in the world the phrase "buckwheats" comes from (I gather it is a very unpleasant thing, and the phrase has apparently been around far longer than "Things to Do In Denver When You're Dead")...

Also got to see a funny-as-hell online skit called "The Internet Help Desk"... just about died laughing because it is SO spot-on.

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

Guest Skaramine

Picked up Pitch Black the Director's Cut and Chronicles of Riddick Director's cut for $20 in one pack.

And Blackhawk Down Platinum pack with Team Saber.

And the old 1949 Batman and Robin serial.

Okay, it's not quality...

but it's fun!

Guest Skaramine

Kim Du Toit calls April 15th "Buy a Gun" day. But he qualified that even an Airsoft gun counts.

Time for me to pick up a new one.

But, a Clear Taurus PT92? or an orange-tip Beretta 92?

Or go get that gas-powered Beretta Elite?