2 heads

GCMorris

Imagine for a moment that you are not designing a character and just list what the benefits and drawbacks are.  Forget about character points and just make the list.

Once you have have the list you can produce the character. 

1. Does the second head think independently of the first?  Do they argue?

2. Do the different heads take action independently?  If the heads are called A and B, can A do mental attack while B is using the rest of the body normally?

3. If this character were attacked by a mental blast or some other mental power how would it be addressed?  Would both heads be attacked by the one attack?  Would only one head be attacked?  

4. How does having two heads affect the game?

Once you try to answer these questions the rest becomes much easier.  

The Hero system is really flexible but to take advantage of unusual character concepts you have to put some work into it...

Powers appropriate to someone with an extra head.

Mental Defenses.

Various mental powers.

Increased Arc Of Perception (240-degree Perception with Sight Denver Group)

Life Support: Needs No Sleep (one head sleeps while the other is awake).

4th and 5th being my editions, I sort of have to chime in, and on that, I have to agree that if they are separate personalities and the like, and especially if they have their own abilities and powers, then that's the Duplication with appropriate limitations that Lucius and the palindromedary point out. If they can both use the body independently, but are restricted to the same power set and such, then that starts becoming just Extra Limbs, and that then becomes the special effect for some things like Enhanced Senses, extra Speed (each head orchestrating their own sets of attacks), and so forth. Then we can get down to the point where it's just an odd, natural thing of the species (like D&D Ents), and then it's just 5pts. for the Extra Limb, and maybe the justification for some Disadvantages.

How many of us would allow a character to execute a Grab using his mouth? Would we allow a Strike when the character's arms and legs are pinned, and he is immobilized to the point he could not use his head to strike, but because he has a second head, that head is free enough to Strike? I suspect not.

In fact, being able to effectively Grab with your mouth might be a reason to buy Extra Limbs. I've used it for characters like the Beast, whose feet are usable as hands, or Stretching characters who can wrap their neck or torso around a target to Grab, without actually having more than the traditional two arms and two legs. The question is "what can this character do above and beyond what one without extra limbs can do?"

How many of us would allow a character to execute a Grab using his mouth? Would we allow a Strike when the character's arms and legs are pinned, and he is immobilized to the point he could not use his head to strike, but because he has a second head, that head is free enough to Strike? I suspect not.

In fact, being able to effectively Grab with your mouth might be a reason to buy Extra Limbs. I've used it for characters like the Beast, whose feet are usable as hands, or Stretching characters who can wrap their neck or torso around a target to Grab, without actually having more than the traditional two arms and two legs. The question is "what can this character do above and beyond what one without extra limbs can do?"

Hugh I disagree with your first paragraph minorly and I ageee with your second paragraph. It is this, I would allow a grab with mouth or strike with head depending on special effects of head/entangle however it would not be as effective as if I bought extra limbs to cover it. It is just about anything else in Hero, you can try anything but if you want to be effective at it you pay the points for it.

I think the most significant point is what the player wants the character to be able to do with those two heads. "Grab between two heads"? Why not "Grab between my chin and chest"? But if he has two heads on lengthy or extendable necks, sure. If he has two heads sitting side by side on a torso? I don't see the classic Ettin "grabbing with two heads". He does have many of the abilities noted above, though - he can see in an increased arc of perception, is never asleep because the heads take turns sleeping, etc. None of those abilities require Extra Limbs, nor will having "Extra Limbs - Another Head" provide any of those abilities.

First, define what you want the character to be capable of in prose, not in game mechanics. Then select the mechanics. Just dumping "extra limbs" is no better than dumping "Distinctive Features - Two Heads" or "draw a second head on the character sheet picture".

So, GCMorris, what aspect of having two heads are you finding challenging to build in 4e?

I think it is more of a "this game don't tell me what I can do with a second head, and I am not that imaginative enough to pick all the powers to simulate a second head" problem. It happens a lot to newcomers who never played in a toolkit or universal point build game before.

I'm not sure why you would leap to the conclusion that a poster asking a 4e question, having 259 posts in his history, is a newcomer. He's only been a member on site since June/16, but 4e was long gone by then!

I'd rather let him tell me where he's encountering a challenge than guess.

I think it is more of a "this game don't tell me what I can do with a second head, and I am not that imaginative enough to pick all the powers to simulate a second head" problem. It happens a lot to newcomers who never played in a toolkit or universal point build game before.

I'm guilty of this! Hopefuly I'm fetting better at this!

A typical "how to do something" post.

First five pages: the various ways something can be done in the Hero System.

The next 40 pages: arguments about which of the ways are correct.

The last five pages: realizing that the discustion has gotten out of hand. Perhaps some topic drift. The OP thanked everyone about 20 pages past and made a decision, but we totally forgotten about him while making an argument.

The last five pages: realizing that the discustion has gotten out of hand. Perhaps some topic drift. The OP thanked everyone about 20 pages past and made a decision, but we totally forgotten about him while making an argument.

You post that like its a bad thing! : )

(bolding added)

Perhaps?!  Perhaps?!  You're lucky if you don't get topic drift in the first five pages.

(He says on Page 2, causing topic drift)