New Champions GM here, looking for advice :3

Jaanjiro

Here's something else to avoid:

Making the PCs at a lower power level than the conventional NPC. I have been in several campaigns where my PC party worked hard to gather a lot of XP (possibly getting to a highly respected position) only to have some new comer with no XP be able to handle things that are beyond what you can perform at this time, even with all your XP. Even worse, that new comer is the equivalent of the village idiot and not from anyplace that would be considered respected. This has happened to me on more than one occasion.

That seems to be a terrible thing to do to players, that's for sure. I only make NPC more powerful than PCs when they are ment to be, like a warrior king that gives PCs their quests because he is too busy conquering his enemies' lands. Or something along those lines :P

I had one player give me free hand on a drawback (before complications :) ) I chose a Hunted, but instead of a normal hunted it was that his character got roasted in a newspaper every week (I would prepare a sheet of headlines, he would get blamed for EVERYTHING wrong in the world, if he saved the earth it was part of a dastardly plot to put people at ease, etc...) Other than a reporter getting in his face every once in a while never really came up "In play" but the laughs at what the paper had to say was WELL WORTH the 10 points he got for it...

It sounds like a lot of fun! And reminds me of J. Jonah Jameson and his fixation with Spider-Man.

Some tips:

1) If you aren't sure on a rule, wing it and look it up later, you're probably right or very close

2) try to get every player a chance to do what they enjoy best in gaming -- find out what it is and play up to that

3) end every session with at least one goal of the players met, so they feel a sense of accomplishment

4) your job is to have fun and entertain, not win.

5) if the dice say something that will hurt the flow of the game or ruin fun, ignore them.

6) Try to have at least one character's complication show up every session, especially if it can be funny

7) Get all your ducks in a row before running: all the character sheets, info in your head, combat sheet/combat program set up

I have tried to adhere to those tips in my GM career, specially points 2 and 4.

I have met and played with GMs who disregard them, it doesn't end well :/

Get Aaron Allston's Strike Force. The man was a genius at game mastering and it has decades of tips and information. There really is no better gaming book that has ever been written.

Thanks! I will check it out :3

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started my heroes off as Competent Normals, scientists all.  And we ran thru for about a year with them as the normals.  The player base had 3 experienced Hero Games players (although we hadn't run Champions in about 8 or more years), 4 who had played other RPG's (mostly DnD) and one who had never played an RPG at all.

The first year was a refresher for all of us on how the system ran, learning the basics, and moving forward.  I ran a couple Adventurer's Club scenarios (broken down so they wouldn't die) to familiarize them with combat, skill rolls, and some combat maneuvers.  Now they have powers and are learning the higher end of combat with damage etc.

It has been a lengthy process, and our games are quite Role Play interactive, but everyone seems to be enjoying the time!  Now they are figuring out their powers and how they will interact with the rest of the world... (duh, duh, duh)!!

May I suggest low powered game? And have basic archetypes? Just to get the feel for the basics of the game. Basics include building characters, running characters, getting a feel for commonly used rules.

Thank you for the suggestion! I really appreciate it :3

But if I'm honest with you, I don't think I will follow it. I get the point, but one of the main reasons for changing systems is that I'm pretty tired of archetypes and predefined character traits and concepts :P

I just love that my players' first characters are kinda unusual.

Also, in terms of gaming, I strongly believe in learning by screwing up :D

I started my heroes off as Competent Normals, scientists all. And we ran thru for about a year with them as the normals. The player base had 3 experienced Hero Games players (although we hadn't run Champions in about 8 or more years), 4 who had played other RPG's (mostly DnD) and one who had never played an RPG at all.

The first year was a refresher for all of us on how the system ran, learning the basics, and moving forward. I ran a couple Adventurer's Club scenarios (broken down so they wouldn't die) to familiarize them with combat, skill rolls, and some combat maneuvers. Now they have powers and are learning the higher end of combat with damage etc.

It has been a lengthy process, and our games are quite Role Play interactive, but everyone seems to be enjoying the time! Now they are figuring out their powers and how they will interact with the rest of the world... (duh, duh, duh)!!

Thanks for the input!

I will take things slowly so my players and I will he able to familiarize with the game, but as I stated above, I believe in learning by screwing up, so full power is the path I want.

Besides, it's been ages since I'm craving for a supers campaign :P

If my players are having problems with their characters, I will let them modify their build or make a new one, helping the best I can (and asking you guys for help when having troubles :D )

And I'm glad your group is enjoying the process :)

I didn't plan for it to take this long, we started with 3 regular players, and the group grew... then we had to go back to the beginning and explain things again, and again, and again...

A suggestion to add another player I said - you do the prelim stuff to get them up to speed.  They decided not to invite them... And a group of 8 is too big for the most part...

I didn't plan for it to take this long, we started with 3 regular players, and the group grew... then we had to go back to the beginning and explain things again, and again, and again...

A suggestion to add another player I said - you do the prelim stuff to get them up to speed. They decided not to invite them... And a group of 8 is too big for the most part...

That's a lot of players :o

I only have 3 regulars, and at most there are 5 players.

The last time I was in an 8 player group was in a WoD campaign, the GM decided to split the group; vampires and changellings played one day; wereeolves and mages in another day. Worked quite well.

I'm still open for advice and suggestions on running a Supers campaign :D

We should have the first session next weekend.

Thanks in advance!

There is always the classic bankrobbery. You could change it up though by having the bank hold a mcguffin-perhaps plans to a secret serum or device. The villain group could be VIPER. With them don't worry if it is an "official" write up. VIPER is very malleable. If need be just use skilled agents with some Hi-tech gear in back of CC. Also VIPER hires any villain. P.s. if you like a hero and want them as a villain-no problem just rename and maybe different look. Same thing for Heroes, find a villain and swap change complications as needed.

There is always the classic bankrobbery. You could change it up though by having the bank hold a mcguffin-perhaps plans to a secret serum or device. The villain group could be VIPER. With them don't worry if it is an "official" write up. VIPER is very malleable. If need be just use skilled agents with some Hi-tech gear in back of CC. Also VIPER hires any villain. P.s. if you like a hero and want them as a villain-no problem just rename and maybe different look. Same thing for Heroes, find a villain and swap change complications as needed.

I thought about using ARGENT, as one of the PC is kind of a cyborg.

And I like the idea of a bankrobbery scenario :3 a real classic indeed. Thanks!

We will playing with 6th edition.

As for the books, so far I have Champions Complete, Champions Powers, Champions Universe and Champions 6ed.

What can I say, I really liked the setting xD and powers have proven to be useful for ideas for newbies like us :3

Planning on getting Martial Arts next, is it worth it?

Any must have? Besides Strike Force recommended above :P

I don't have 6th martial arts but i do own ninja hero 4th (original) Ultimate Martial Artist 4th, NH 5th, UMA 5th, Watchers of the Dragon. So I would guess-yes.

Btw I still scenerio ideas from hero and villain backgrounds all the time.

Argent should work fine. Do you have stats? If not, my VIPER advice will work too.

I don't have 6th martial arts but i do own ninja hero 4th (original) Ultimate Martial Artist 4th, NH 5th, UMA 5th, Watchers of the Dragon. So I would guess-yes.

Btw I still scenerio ideas from hero and villain backgrounds all the time.

Argent should work fine. Do you have stats? If not, my VIPER advice will work too.

I believe I saw stats for Argent related things somewhere, if not I think I can put something together.

Or use Viper, yeah :P

I like the name list and formula ideas, I will mix them for the overarching story.

Missing scientists for the detective to investigate, and formula stealing to involve the cyborg :3

Or something like that.

Well, the detective would be working for the police if it was a robbery or a case of missing person, the cyborg would be interested of Argent movements, and the third PC is the rebelious daughter of a crime family that rejects that legacy, I can link her from there.

I believe I saw stats for Argent related things somewhere, if not I think I can put something together.

Or use Viper, yeah

5th Edition Champions Universe, p.140 recommends using the standard VIPER agent as a template for ARGENT, then provides some sample equipment in the sidebars on p. 140-141.

I always tried to make my Organizations more unique.

VIPER use Energy Weapons and Supertechnology Vehicles.

ARGENT uses Emerging Advanced Technology like Munitions for Small Arms and Man Portable Artillary.

Leaving rival Organizations to purchase or copy their designs.

Heck it is even fun to use Retrotechnology Weapons creatively. Evil Organizations uses Nazi Super Science Weapons.

DEMON Agents are even more likely to use Magical Weapons that appear mundane, but are not what they seem.

The most important thing for a book or Organizations are the unique theme and feel of their Agents.

ARGENT is a master of teleportation technology. Also tech involving sending attacks to another dimension (at least partially). And there MO is to provide support to other criminals and organizations. There goles are science without limits and profit without limits. They are less likely to rob banks than to provide the weapons to rob banks. Another thing is that they are more likely to send out goons to do industrial and corporate espionage.

One of there rivals is Duchess Industries, which is secretly controlled by VIPER, one of there customers (hush...it's a secret). DI has there own security forces and also engages in Industrial and corporate espionage themselves.