The Academics Thread

Pariah

2 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

I am so glad I don't do this anymore. Every time I miss teaching, you guys remind me why I left.

Yeah but now the kids are gonna be that much stupider.

The pandemic really messed up a lot of kids academically, including mine.  Youngest boy spent much of his freshman year of high school relearning how to care about deadlines.  He's gotten better, but his GPA took impairing damage.

19 hours ago, Cancer said:

Dealing with similar stuff on a collegiate level.  The pandemic seems to have spawned an attitude that rules and policies are write-only memory, irrelevant, or applicable only to, well, who knows.  Last labs were this week, etc, and last classes are Monday June 5.

The pandemic screwed up education in a lot of ways. When it hit in March 2020, we went fully online and the big emphasis was just to make sure the kids could finish out the academic year. Our district and state relaxed academic standards a lot. We were specifically directed not to issue failing grades, but to give anyone who was close to passing the benefit of the doubt and anyone else an Incomplete. Seniors were basically graduated if they made any kind of reasonable effort, irrespective of the actual results. It was a mess.

When we came back the next fall, it was with social distance protocols (as if that can really be a thing in a public high school where the average class size is 35) and ongoing testing. A certain number of positive results would result in an immediate shift to distance learning for two weeks. We invoked distance learning three times just in the first semester, as I recall. At that point, I pretty much just designed my classes to be distance learning and counted any day I actually had kids in the classroom as a bonus. Not the ideal way to run high school science classes.

Then our state legislature stepped in and saved education (to hear them tell it) by passing a law that district and local government leaders could not initiate distance learning; only a board appointed by the state legislature could do that. You can undoubtedly guess how that has gone.

But during this entire time, the idea of academic rigor seems to have gone the way of the dodo. Attempts to reinstate academic expectations to pre-pandemic levels has been met with proportional pushback from the students—and especially from their parents. Teachers have to tread very lightly to avoid being accused of being too demanding of the fragile students whose parents pay their salaries.

To complicate things further, our district has spent the last five or six years implementing a proficiency/mastery-based grading system (sometimes also called standards-based grading). Under the system, attendance and behavior cannot be used in any way to determine a student's grades, it's (nominally) based only on academic performance. If a student never comes to class, is a complete PITA while they're there, and/or does no assignments other than the tests, that's okay. They can still earn an A if they do well on those tests. There are PBIS and other programs to try to emphasize responsible social and academic behavior, but there are no meaningful consequences for students if they don't. So they don't.

I have a collection of Murphy's Law books, and there are a couple of statements from them (I forget the attribution at the moment) that read something like this:

1. Things will get worse before they get better.

2. Who said things will get better?

So it's been rough the last few years, and with teaching a completely new subject next year, it's not going to get any easier, at least for me. But I'm 14 years in at this point. What am I going to do, quit and go dig ditches?

-

Edited by Pariah

23 minutes ago, Pariah said:

What am I going to do, quit and go dig ditches?

Probably pays better.

The flip side is that recent events have been extremely difficult for teachers too.  Many good ones have quit and I don't blame them.  But the students feel that in the classroom when the schools get stuck with a few teachers that aren't good.  I've already told you guys about my kid's RWNJ AP US history teacher who taught alternate history, or my other kid's math teacher who grades nothing until after the end of the quarter.  These people would not be teaching in an environment that didn't drive better teachers out of the field.  Society will be feeling the effects of the last three years for a really long time.

• 2 weeks later...

In preparation for the middle school science content knowledge high stakes standardized test I'm taking a week from Saturday, I took a practice test on the Praxis website today. I scored 116 out of 125. I'm pretty pleased. My lowest content area score, not surprisingly, was in life science, where I scored 32 out of 38. I was a perfect 32 for 32 in Earth and space science.

Drop-dead final deadline was 11:59 last night (my time).  I logged out of email about 3:15 PM, stayed that way until about ten minutes ago.  Accumulated overnight email count: 31.  Count arriving between 11:05 and 11:59 PM: 6, one of which had three different assignments attached.  Count arriving after 11:59 PM: 2, the last at 2:28 AM.

Still trying to decide whether I should read them.

Grading final exams.

I swear that my daughter's excessively large collection of house plants might do better than some of these kids.

EDIT: "Hey, kid, you seem to know less about this stuff than the begonia that wasn't even in the room all quarter."

Edited by Cancer

Hm, let's make it an ice hockey reference.  The guy who gets checked into the boards within seconds of coming onto the ice, and when trying to stand up again slices his femoral artery with one of his skates and is carried off immediately for medical attention.  Still not an apt comparison, since the hockey loser gets credited for 1 minute on the ice, which is more than this student has been credited for.

The Eight Days of Suffering and Gibbitude have begun in earnest.

Yesterday was the high-stakes Earth & Space Systems test. If the preliminary score I got back is anything like the actual score, then I passed it. It was a lot more specific on certain things than I'd anticipated: mineral characteristics, geologic epochs, properties of atmospheric sublayers, etc. We'll see how it goes. Or went, as the case may be. Official results should be available in about a month.

Today is a day of rest. Tomorrow I begin a 3D Science Methods course that runs 8:00 to 4:00 Monday through Friday. I'm going to be using public transportation to get there and back, because driving in that part of the world is obnoxious during business hours. But it will require me to wake up at the same time that I did during the school year, which is not my favorite way to spend a week of my summer "break".

And then next Saturday is the other high-stakes test, covering Junior High School science. This one I'm less worried about semicolon I do need to brush up a bit on cell biology.

Wish me luck ... or at least some semblance of sanity.

Edited by Pariah
Stupid ytpos