The Academics Thread

Pariah

Eight questions, each worth 20 points.  Essay format.  There are no calculations to be performed, though some spatial reasoning is needed for at least one of them. 

Two questions quoted below.

What is “escape velocity”? What does this quantity have to do with objects that fall from space onto the Earth and other planets in the Solar System? Which of the great conservation laws is used to give us this concept?

What is the Doppler Effect, and what does it allow us to measure about astronomical objects?

Best five are summed to give your exam score.

Mean score: 43.

41 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Eight questions, each worth 20 points.  Essay format.  There are no calculations to be performed, though some spatial reasoning is needed for at least one of them. 

Two questions quoted below.

What is “escape velocity”? What does this quantity have to do with objects that fall from space onto the Earth and other planets in the Solar System? Which of the great conservation laws is used to give us this concept?

First of all this is three questions, not two, so that's totally unfair and you should learn to count.  Professors are so mean.

41 minutes ago, Cancer said:

What is the Doppler Effect, and what does it allow us to measure about astronomical objects?

This is the effect that makes something more Dopple than it was before, allowing us to measure whether it is worth posting about on social media.

Patron: I’d like to borrow a book.

Librarian: Okay. Do you already have a membership?

Patron: I don’t think so. How much does it cost?

Librarian: We’re a public library so virtually everything can be checked out at no cost.  Getting a library card is simply a matter of providing us with your basic information. You can do it online or fill out a paper form today. Is there something in which you are particularly interested.

Patron: No, just a book.

Librarian: (Explains the layout of the stacks and how to search for specific books or subject matter.)

Patron: (Staring intently for a full 5 seconds.) You mean I must pick it myself? I thought that was your job.

3 hours ago, Bazza said:

Librarian: We’re a public library so virtually everything can be checked out at no cost.  Getting a library card is simply a matter of providing us with your basic information. You can do it online or fill out a paper form today. Is there something in which you are particularly interested.

Librarian: (Explains the layout of the stacks and how to search for specific books or subject matter.)

Patron: (Staring intently for a full 5 seconds.) You mean I must pick it myself? I thought that was your job.

I'm freaking out trying to think what book I would pick for this guy. 

Write an essay about arglebargle.  Include citations.  Minimum 40 words.  Writing "Arglebargle" 40 times is optimal.  You are allowed to use "arglebargle" as any element of speech you want (noun, verb, adjective, etc.).  You may ignore Rule 34.

From a teacher page on the Book of Face:

"I used to be a preschool teacher. The first weeks of school I would go home with body ache. Everything hurt, especially my head, my shoulders, my knees, and my toes."

On 5/8/2023 at 4:57 PM, Bazza said:

library014.jpg