The Academics Thread

Pariah

30 minutes ago, Cancer said:

There is altogether too much synergy in grading these exams while FailFactory is on TV at the same time.

I'm curious as to the difficulty of the exam.  Is it, like, "Spell 'Betelgeuse'", or is it like "Write down a novel solution for the Riemann Hypothesis"?

Edited by Old Man

Essay answers (no number crunching).  Eight questions, each of which are "do part A or part B".  Example:

4.  This question concerns the objects orbiting the Jovian planets. Answer EITHER part (a) or part (b), not both.

4.a What is the Roche limit? How is it applicable to stuff orbiting the Jovian planets?

4.b The moons of the outer planets are small bodies, most of them smaller than those terrestrial planets that we observe to be geologically dead. Yet, many of them show features on their surfaces suggestive of recent internal activity, and a few have been caught “in the act” with active volcanism. How is this possible?

All these were discussed in class and are in the textbook.

EDIT: with two papers still outstanding, the correlation coefficient between midterm and final exam scores is +0.72.

Edited by Cancer

At this point: 160 possible.  High 141.  Median 45.  Low 5.

Note also that two questions were promised to them, i.e., they had part B of each of two different questions.

6.B.  Describe the physical mechanisms of how the “greenhouse effect” works, as we have discussed it working in the atmospheres of the terrestrial planets.

2.B.  What is the Fermi Paradox? Explain both the paradox itself, and how it is relevant for the search for life elsewhere in the Galaxy. You do not need to present a resolution to the paradox

That latter I might maliciously call the Kristopher Memorial Question, since he seemed to be fixated on a score of about 1 on it.

3 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

I was jokingly going to suggest "Solve the Fermi Paradox" for a question. 😁

The inverse square law and the expansion of space itself.

Or maybe that's a different paradox....

Well, I introduce them to the Fermi Paradox, for which we do not now know the the resolution.  But then I give them (as an example that is resolved) Olber's Paradox as a different astronomical paradox, where in the middle half of the 20th Century, we finally figured out that literally every assumption going into the paradox was incorrect.