The Academics Thread

Pariah

I think I used stat mech more than anything else out of my thermo classes, but that's a result of me doing astrophysics.  Boltzmann and Saha equations are used just about everywhere, unless the matter is degenerate.

By contrast, the heat engine stuff was pretty much just as top-to-bottom worthless for me as just about anything in the chemistry curriculum, because the number of heat engines in astrophysics is about the same as the number of test tubes, reaction vessels, and any other piece of terrestrial equipment where volume is a usable/useful quantity.  Frankly, the only time I used that stuff was when I had to teach it to people who may have thought that what happened in bottles was relevant.  Even then, I annoyed everyone in those classes by having them derive versions of the gas laws, etc., using particle density rather than volume.

Edited by Cancer

• 2 weeks later...

I got the results back on those two standardized tests I had to take last month. I passed both of them comfortably. I just have a couple of assignments to wrap up from my methods course, and then I can apply for the additional endorsements I will need for the next school year.

Anyone who says that teachers are "so lucky to get three months off every year" can bite me.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Don't you also get two weeks off around Christmas?  ;)

For teachers, that's a little like the morning dose of coffee (or equivalent):

Civilian: "You just have to have coffee? Like, would you die without it?"

Teacher: "No ... but you might."

"I've had people ask me, outside of education, 'Hey Liz, what's that like teaching high school English?' I'm like, 'Have you ever planned a book club for 150 people and you're the only one who wants to read?'"

Facebook meme: "Is there a science camp for adults? Like I just want to help someone dig up dinosaurs or count mushrooms or weigh turtles for like a week."

Response: "I think that's called grad school."

Response to response: "The pay is the same."