Champions Now Information

On 2/9/2019 at 7:37 PM, Andrew_A said:

Outside of the art, I'm one of the few people who liked Fuzion. I never got to play Champions: New Millenium, but I really liked creating characters in that system. It just felt clean and streamlined in a way that HERO 3-5 never did.

C:TNM remains the only version of Champions I actually played more than one session of.

• 5 weeks later...

The latest Champions Now update on Kickstarter states that the first draft still needs to be reviewed and surveyed by backers before publication, with the tagline, "It shouldn't be much longer now." Given the projected completion date was June 2019, it's safe to say that the fans who supported the Kickstarter effort have been extremely patient.

It's curious that there hasn't been much promotion by Hero Games beyond the initial announcement and follow-on justification of the project when there was some fan pushback. One cannot help but start to believe the criticism that Champions Now is an exercise in self-indulgence by an external game designer that the fans paid for via Kickstarter. 😒

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 6:35 PM, Duke Bushido said:

I've still got crossed fingers that there will be some way to buy them; I found out about the thing way too late to actually back it.

It will almost certainly be available in the Hero Games store...whenever it happens to arrive. 

On 9/8/2019 at 2:37 PM, fdw3773 said:

It's curious that there hasn't been much promotion by Hero Games beyond the initial announcement and follow-on justification of the project when there was some fan pushback. One cannot help but start to believe the criticism that Champions Now is an exercise in self-indulgence by an external game designer that the fans paid for via Kickstarter. 😒

I'm not quite cynical enough to have begun to believe that just yet. I may be wrong, but I'm willing to see what the finished product looks like before making any such critiques. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, assault said:

The questionnaires for where physical copies are to be sent have already been sent out, so you are probably a bit late for the kickstarter...

You should be able to get a copy through the Hero Games store once it is released.

You never know. :)  I've gotten in late on kickstarters before. :)

I got an update e-mail today. The artist they commissioned for the book has had some health issues, so the artwork has been delayed. They are anticipating all artwork to be submitted by October 15th, after which the book will go to final editing and layout. The PDF version should be completed shortly thereafter, with physical copies to follow. 

The only firm date they gave was the aforementioned October 15th, but it gives me hope that I could be holding the finished product by Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 6:27 AM, Pariah said:

I got an update e-mail today. The artist they commissioned for the book has had some health issues, so the artwork has been delayed. They are anticipating all artwork to be submitted by October 15th, after which the book will go to final editing and layout. The PDF version should be completed shortly thereafter, with physical copies to follow. 

The only firm date they gave was the aforementioned October 15th, but it gives me hope that I could be holding the finished product by Christmas.

Did you take a look at the downloads of the text and the artwork? It looks pretty cool, and I’m getting a little bit excited about it! Reserved, but excited. I liked talking to Ron almost two years ago when this project just started, and am wishing the best for its success. It looks like it’s already driving new content for HERO Games and the new Hall of Champions, which is excellent news!

1 hour ago, Brian Stanfield said:

Did you take a look at the downloads of the text and the artwork? It looks pretty cool, and I’m getting a little bit excited about it! Reserved, but excited. I liked talking to Ron almost two years ago when this project just started, and am wishing the best for its success. It looks like it’s already driving new content for HERO Games and the new Hall of Champions, which is excellent news!

45 minutes ago, GM Joe said:

I'm about 50 pages in, and I like what I've read so far!

I haven't seen either of these things. Where are you two looking?

It looks pretty good. (But I get a playtest credit, so I'm biased.)

If I was going to be a jerk, I'd describe it as a set of designer's notes with a game attached to it, due to the proportion of text to rules

It probably needs some summary sheets. And an index, but the latter is dependent on the page numbers in the final draft.

Aside from cover to cover reading, I'm currently messing about with situations (complications/disadvantages), trying to simulate characters that are basically human and relatively sane. It seems to work.

Thanks, folks. I took a look at the rough draft. Looks pretty good. I'm not thrilled about how so many things are dependent on BODY (and that you can't change those things independently), but that's not a deal-breaker for me.

It looks like the character creation process will be comparatively quick and easy, maybe even easier than 3rd Edition. That's nice.

It'll be interesting to see the final product on paper. PDFs are not my preferred medium for reading.

21 minutes ago, Pariah said:

It looks like the character creation process will be comparatively quick and easy, maybe even easier than 3rd Edition. That's nice.

Yes. That's a definite plus.

For me, Situations are the hardest part. They don't take long if you have a clear idea of the character - but that's a big if.

I'm working on a bit of a library of situation sets that I can plug into characters. It's cheating, but the speed gain is worth it, and the results can be modified.

Basically, I'm looking at characters in the source material, and seeing what they would have.

I haven't written it up yet, so I can't share it.

The tricky part is integrating it with the three corners approach. The latter is very different to how I have built characters in the past.

I don't see the three corners approach being an essential part of character design, personally. Yes, I know that's what the author wants us all to do. It's not a bad way to approach character design, honestly. But it's not what I have traditionally done, and I don't see it as a hard-and-fast part of the character design process for this version any more than it could have been for any of the previous ones. If it's convenient, I'll do it. That's pretty much the approach have taken through four different editions now.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Well which thread were you _supposed_ to delete?!  :shock:

Not the thread.  My post was in the wrong thread.  I keep up on Champs Now, but I don't usually comment here.  But I'm on my phone right now and my mobile forum skills basically suck.  Every once in a while you can see the moons orbit dip.......

8 minutes ago, Spence said:

Not the thread.  My post was in the wrong thread.  I keep up on Champs Now, but I don't usually comment here.  But I'm on my phone right now and my mobile forum skills basically suck.  Every once in a while you can see the moons orbit dip.......

Nah; it's all good.  I've been there myself.  I was just kidding about your lack of punctuation (which, on a touchscreen, is nuisance enough on it's own)