World Creation Superdraft 2: July 2018

3 minutes ago, Cancer said:

...and many tales tell of heroes and armies being overwhelmed by clouds of Sansez Kthp so numerous that the Sun was Suns were blotted from sight...

Fixed that for ya. :D

(You get a pass on this one for not actually living in a binary system....)

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Fixed that for ya. :D

(You get a pass on this one for not actually living in a binary system....)

:think:  If it was a triple system, with component C being a remote red dwarf (e.g., the alpha Centauri system, assuming proxima really is a remote 3rd component of a triple star system) ... is the 3rd component also a Sun?

Hm.  I should work out the apparent magnitude of proxima as seen from alpha Cen Bb.

EDIT: OK, the apparent magnitude of proxima as seen from the alpha Cen barycenter is about +3.7.  That uses the absolute visual magnitude of +15.60, assumes a distance of 8700 AU.  Naked-eye brightness, but not a bright object at all.  If it has the half-million year orbital period around the AB pair, then ... well, now I would need to make assumptions about the orbit, but probably the inhabitants of a planet orbiting the AB pair would not notice proxima's motion around them until well after they invented telescopes, though once they have photography it's duck soup.

It is I, Arepo, who am there at the last breath of the dying.

It is I, Arepo, who am there at the first breath of the reborn.

And it is I, Arepo, who live and move in the world's breath, which is the wind.

Secondary domain: The Element of Air.

Lucius Alexander

I'll probably get around to palindromedaries

Ah, the needs of secrets.

A secret murder needs soaps and bleach and acids to remove evidence.

A secret tryst needs perfume to mark the message.

A secret plot needs poison to complete the job

A secret surprise needs fireworks to really impress anyone.

But secrets call for secrets. I give these to you, dwellers in the infinite world, but keep them wisely. Keep them by Guildcraft and Trade Secret. Yes, Secret.

Secondary Domain: Chemistry

The Gods and Goddesses grant success to whom they will. To whom will Yshic grant success?

To those who persist. To those who carry on despite overwhelming odds. To those who never give up.

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." These are the favored of Yshic. Her light is given to those who endure.

Secondary domain: Persistence

As the Gods and Goddesses send forth intelligent creatures upon the newly formed world, Yshic considered what manner of beings she would create....

being-of-light.jpg?w=726

Sentient beings: Seraphim

These are not 'Angels' in the traditional sense--winged humanoids who serve as messengers of the Gods. Rather, they are beings of pure energy (who can appear in humanoid form, or any other form, if they so choose) with lives and agendas of their own. Insubstantial, translucent, and effectively Immortal, they dedicate their near-infinite lives to ideals, studies, and pursuits of their own choosing. They may spend hundreds or thousands of years investigating mysteries, or watching cities and civilizations rise and fall. They interact with other beings, but their numbers are few, and most mortals will go their entire lives without meeting one of the Seraphim.

Some of them have devoted themselves to Yshik's service in gratitude, and some have even chosen to serve other Gods, but most follow the calling of their own spirits, whatever they may be. 

Beware of Hubris for the Gods will punish those guilty of it.

Take heed and listen to my tale ! In ages past there was a warrior who learned of the lessons of Red Andror who defied all the gods and Mandrok who tried to persuade all the races that there was only one god. This warrior learned the ways of the gods to protect himself from their wrath or so he thought.

Because he fought he felt that Aerobell could not harm him;

Because he was not on the seas what need of he for Roy ?;

Because he battled indiscriminately Brother Chaos was appeased;

Because he laid waste to settlements the land was returned to Ut-Mark;

Because he brought Light into Darkness and Darkness into light Anuanu and Yschic had no cause for dissatisfaction;

Because his army was organised what could Gravitus do ?;

Because he left no witnesses some of his deeds were secret and thus was Dee-Eli appeased;

Because he he delivered many to death Arepo was served;

And he had the Freedom to do what he wanted so Vyago could do nothing'

With all this what use is any protection against the Goddess of Love, I mean what could she do ?

Said warrior also sought out protections to stop the gods from taking action against him. He made great and terrible oaths and performed sacrifices to enchant himself so that no god or goddess could or would take action against him. With these protections around him he felt he was invulnerable and with each victory he felt invincible.

But the gods were not impressed and were angered by his presumptions. However he had rendered himself immune to their power with one exception.

Finally this warrior made a bold plan to destroy all the cities on Gelmir and gathered together an army to do his bidding.

A favourite of Aerobell set out to oppose him and delayed his army's advance. This was successful until the pair engaged in a duel. It was epic lasting many days and nights but finally the warrior was triumphant and laid low the favourite of Aerobell. He boasted that their body would be dismembered and that all they loved would be brought to ruin.

'No' came the reply and Amora the Goddess of Love stood before them. Her beauty dazzled the army and none could approach her. They felt an abiding love for her and her presence was pleasure beyond understanding.

'Because Aerobell so loved you and because you did her such service I shall place you in the sky' and so saying she took the fallen hero and made the first constellation called the Fallen Warrior.

'Is that all ? All that you can do ? All that a god is ?' sneered the victor for he alone was not affected by Amora.

Then she turned and smiled at him and the army was sore afraid for the smile she had was not one of love or beauty but was cold.

'Hear my curse, warrior. The gods favour those that do us service and punish those who offend us. You protected yourself against all the gods except me for what could the goddess of love do to you ? Yet you defied us all and all will be avenged upon you. You do not love me so shall none love you nor shall you ever love again. You find nothing beautiful so you shall find no beauty and others will find no beauty in you, your words or your deeds. You take pleasure in the suffering of others so from this moment on you will find nothing pleasurable nor will anyone find pleasure in your company'

Thus fell Amora's curse and so it was that the warrior's army fell apart for none could abide his company. The gods banded together and split the army apart vowing that never again would any mortal be allowed to gather power and protection against them. As to his protections and his name ? Dee-Eli hid his name and removed it from all stories, songs and memory. In the darkness, in the oceans and in the wild the protections may be found but there is no way to find them unless Vyago says otherwise.

(I will leave it to the views of everyone else whether this should be a specific choice such as retribution)

It is mainly scene setting pointing out you cannot underestimate any of the gods.

However it did occur to me that a curse, or Amora's actions, might constitute something under the choices. So i'm asking the opinion of the others involved and mayhaps any interested viewers.

Astrology for making the constellation ?

Or a domain of retribution ?

Or an interference which nullifies all protections ?

You tell me.

We don't seem to have anyone taking Heavens or Sky as a domain, so that's possible but missing the point, I think.

Retribution maybe ...

Seems most like a nice piece of accompanying legend rather than an actual pick, really.

I can see some dangerous things in the offing, with creatures like Tiamat running around, Gravitius needs to take careful measures.

Mythic Guardian: The Colossus

A mighty giant of living granite, born of the very rock in the Valley of Justice. He can cross the rivers of the valley in a single stride. He wanders the valley, a solemn protector. There are stories of other colossi throughout the world. Whether they are related is impossible to know.

tumblr_nd06yirVqp1qfrov6o1_500.jpg

3 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

I can see some dangerous things in the offing, with creatures like Tiamat running around, Gravitius needs to take careful measures.

Mythic Guardian: The Colossus

A mighty giant of living granite, born of the very rock in the Valley of Justice. He can cross the rivers of the valley in a single stride. He wanders the valley, a solemn protector. There are stories of other colossi throughout the world. Whether they are related is impossible to know.

tumblr_nd06yirVqp1qfrov6o1_500.jpg

One little invasion threat... and folks get all paranoid

;)

There are many kinds of light. Among them is the light inside the sentient mind. The illumination that guides the decisions of thinking peoples, whatever their form. The ability to know and understand beyond the bounds of logic and reason. This light is a gift from Yshic.

Gift to Civilization: Intuition and Inspiration