World Creation Superdraft 2: July 2018

For my own clarification.

Lucius,

The Life and Death post does that have a domain or other choice in it or is it just setting the scene ?

The Mysteries of Priestcraft is the gift to civilization so that is not an issue. But with the other one I want to make sure I am not missing anything.

Amora is love and love is Amora.

The Goddess looked upon the world and wondered, who could give love and who could receive love ? For what is life without love or without beauty or without pleasure ?

And Amora so loved her fellow gods and goddesses that she knew that they needed someone who could love them.

She also knew that they would need to drive them to explore as was the way of Vyago;

to fight as was the way of Aerobell;

to keep secrets as was the way of Dee-Eli;

to die and be reborn which was the way of Arepo;

to live together in Order as was the way of Gravitus;

to bring something out of nothing which was the way of Brother Chaos;

to live in the Wild and on the Seas as was the way of Ut-Mark and of Roy;

and to live in Darkness as was the way of Anuanu;

So Amora created a being who would adapt to all environments and would serve all the Gods and that being was called Human. And they would go forth with Love and create more of themselves as Love was pleasure.

56 minutes ago, death tribble said:

I don't read it as eradicating a whole species.

I wasn't clear enough: it is possible to read it as extermination, and that was my initial reading.  Repeated readings gave me doubts.  Hence, a request for clarification, since there isn't a simple declaration of what's going on.

Anuanu declares Its initial Secondary Domain: the unborn.

This is intended to include the pre-emergent young of most animal species, whether born independent and alive from the parent's body, or hatched from eggs which incubate outside the body for some time.  Any sort of corporeal life which has a dormant, sequestered, protected developmental phase before it emerges as an independent entity, falls in this Domain between its conception and its birth, hatching, or emergence.

While Eternals are technically unborn (gods, angels, devils, demons, etc.) in that they existed before the world was created and will exist after it is no more, those are not within this Domain.  Similarly, things which are not alive yet come into animated being are excluded, for example, zombies, ghosts, and other things which are generally called undead.

Every creature strives for safety for its progeny, and the fragile beginnings of life are those stages where the triumph of Death looms most potently.  What mother does not pray urgently for the safe and healthy delivery of her new children?  While hunters are capable of continuing the hunt through all manner of impediments and obstacles, it remains a truth that one cannot kill what one cannot find, and until the development of intelligence and the conscious construction of fortifications, it is in Darkness that the young of all creatures are most safe until their forming is complete enough for their emergence into the world.  During those stages of development prior to independent volition and action, be that time short or long, the protection of such new life is under the Hand of Darkness; and it is in this that Anuanu manifests in Its most revered Aspect: the Protector of the Helpless.

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

Lucius, just for clarification: did you eradicate the whole species except for the priest (in which case that's an Interference), or leave some to carry on (in which case you used them as a trampoline to declare a Domain)?  There isn't a simple declarative statement of what that post was doing.

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

I don't read it as eradicating a whole species.

To be clear: Not only was I not intending to depict an extinction event, I don't quite see how it could be read that way. I described a confrontation between the Living and the Dead, but the Dead, while frightening, were not attacking or harming, let alone slaying, the Living.

While we're clarifying things, I would have thought eradicating a protected species (something especially created by one of Us) would go beyond interference. We can't actually do something like that, can we?

2 hours ago, Sociotard said:

Yeah, I just read it as a normal cycle of death. 

It's about the first mortals coming to terms with their own mortality.

2 hours ago, death tribble said:

For my own clarification.

Lucius,

The Life and Death post does that have a domain or other choice in it or is it just setting the scene ?

The Mysteries of Priestcraft is the gift to civilization so that is not an issue. But with the other one I want to make sure I am not missing anything.

The first myth is just a creation story: it is the claiming of the First Domain, Death and Rebirth (which I had already claimed, just is just the fiction for it.) It's not claiming any further picks.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

I wasn't clear enough: it is possible to read it as extermination, and that was my initial reading.  Repeated readings gave me doubts.  Hence, a request for clarification, since there isn't a simple declaration of what's going on.

I regret the confusion. I did not anticipate it.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary concedes that it may have looked like a zombie apocolypse but was meant as a zombie genesis.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Anuanu declares Its initial Secondary Domain: the unborn.

I'm reserving judgement on this unless someone can provide an instance where this has been used.

It is potentially crossing the boundaries with two of the others. It is an inspired choice but there are problems.

OK.  I'll do some digging around; I was reasonably certain there was precedent for it in RL mythology, but I am not immediately successful in finding it.    Since we are on hiatus over the coming weekend (and I have more than one secondary domain left) it is not an urgent ruling.

It's a little odd since I am including eggs in there; real human mythology didn't worry about that so much...

EDIT:

Looks like the Romans had a squad of goddesses in this bailiwick; see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_birth_and_childhood_deities

In the "Conception and pregnancy" heading in that link, Fluonia, Alemona, Vitumnus seem in particular relevance here; there may be overlap also with a few listed under "Birthing"

53 minutes ago, death tribble said:

I'm reserving judgement on this unless someone can provide an instance where this has been used.

It is potentially crossing the boundaries with two of the others. It is an inspired choice but there are problems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-existence

Mormons say that everybody was created first as a spirit, long before Adam was made. Islam says all the spirits were made at the same time as Adam.

I'm not sure how this plays with "Death and Rebirth". The rebirth is Key.  If life is a line (pre life, life, afterlife) then separate Death and Prelife deities would be fine. If life is a cycle . . . less so. I mean, I had a pick to establish an afterlife system, and I dropped it because it makes less sense with rebirth. (unless it is a cycle with an "off ramp", like by understanding of how Buddhism works) (in which case, I suppose it could be a cycle with an "on ramp") 

3 hours ago, Lucius said:

While we're clarifying things, I would have thought eradicating a protected species (something especially created by one of Us) would go beyond interference. We can't actually do something like that, can we?

Well, I wouldn't do it without private consultation with the creator, but I would not rule it out absolutely.  Having two gods conspire at the dawn of time for one to create a race, and then have the other destroy it all completely except for one select individual ... might make the start of an interesting epic, might it not?  

"How far have we marched this week? My feet are tired."

"Oh stop belly aching, Gelmir is a large continent and we're not crossing but a fraction of it." A chuckle from the older warrior to lessen his reproof, "The Bloodbelly plains, the Skull mountains, the knucklebone hills....  all sprawled out. Now some call those areas by other names, but those were the first names given them. You know why?"

"No, but I have the feeling you're going to tell me whether I care or not."

"I can kick your young ass or talk, which will it be?"

"Talking's good." 

"See, you're gaining wisdom in the eyes of the goddess already" A deep breath, "That's because it was all once a living being. The Giant Gelmir....the god crusher"

"Wait, the very land we're on was a GIANT... like, the seven great cities are like warts on its back side GIANT?"

"So the faithful believe, and who are we to say it nay? There are tales that there were more gods than we currently have, or at least demi-gods. Who knows?into this world came Gelmir, and he killed them, devoured some if you can believe it. This was in the earliest days, the before time, and while the other gods were powerful, they weren't exactly warriors. They turned to Aerobell the Overwhelming, and pleaded with her to take on Gelmir for she was the only one who could face him directly. Now, talk to their priests and such, and you'll probably find comments about how they helped make it possible for her," The old man snorted, "But I think each is tempted to overstate their part in it. This much IS known, Aerobell took up a sword she had forged herself using the steel of martyrs, heated it in the rage of the righteous fury, and then quenched it in a river made of the tears of orphans. And that sword has many names, but among them is Gelmir's Bane! For thirteen years they fought, it is said, and in the end, she cut him down, and he plunged into the sea, and our goddesses blood, the blood of the victor, flowed a top his corpse, mingling with the blood of the defeated god crusher. And from there burst a green and great land that was one his body. It was rich in resources this corpse turned great realm, and seven great city states formed, and often war to this day. There is something in the very soil here that screams of ambition and conquest alike. Whether it is all our goddess' will or the remnant of the spirit of Gelmir, or, as I suspect just the nature of darklings and catkissed, humans and Rootdwellers.. every species that can war eventually feels the beat of war for their own reasons. She's not called the inevitable because she's infrequent."

"So, where on the giant were are we?..anatomy wise?" He looked about.

"You know, some say Gelmir had more than two testicles before she severed them... who knows where they rolled? We could be..." 

"Thank you, that's enough religion for tonight" 

And the old warrior priest laughed

Geography Pick: The Continent of Gelmir, with sweeping plains, great mountain ranges, and more... Seven Great City States adorn it. Which governments, races etc rule each city state is somewhat open at this point

Bich-Dong-pagoda-in-Trang-An-complex.jpg

"Master," I asked, continuing to badger Vyago with questions, "I see the truth of your words, that the journey encompasses all things.  Yet what still escapes me is..."

"You wish to know the purpose of the journey," he said.

"Yes," I answered, somewhat embarrassed by the apparent predictability of my question.

"The journey needs no purpose, for it is a purpose unto itself," he explained.  "We travel, for we cannot do otherwise.  Still, the journey bestows a gift upon us all."

"What is that?" I asked, eagerly.

"What comes of changing perspective," he answered, and said no more.  An age passed beneath our feet before I came to understand his meaning.

Secondary Realm of Influence: Discovery 

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

There really aren't enough geographical draft picks in this draft to really flesh out the terrain.  Most of these worlds will remain Terra Incognito.

Well, I've done my part, Mr. Walky Walky...

"You're welcoooome...." -Maui 

;)

In the beginning, there was Darkness.

In Darkness, the Gods and Mortals set out to shape and explore the new world. Much was created, and much was learned. Order and Chaos, Love and War, Seas and Earth and Fire. But all in all, the Darkness remained.

Until the coming of Yshic, Mistress of Light. For light and Darkness are friends, companions, and rivals, each imcomplete without the other.

00806d71cb48604e0aae62861c7076c9--woman-

Primary domain: Light

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

And it came to pass the Yshic, Mistress of Light, bestowed her power upon the newly-made world by providing a center, a source of light and heat and warmth.  Two of them, actually.

aderoid.jpg

Secondary Realm of Influence: The Suns

Hm.  Separated by 4 or 5 diameters.  Likely to be a nice RS CVn system.  Lots of ultraviolet, episodically.