College Football 2018-19

Pariah

13 hours ago, Grailknight said:

Bowl games are one of the few forms of compensation that the players get.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/12/14/18136097/bowl-game-gifts-2018

Game participants, and often bowl VIPs, are given an order form and allowed to select a gift, or gifts, up to a value that is predetermined by each bowl, not to exceed the NCAA limit.

The NCAA allows each bowl to award up to $550 worth of gifts to 125 participants per school. Schools can, and usually do, buy additional packages that they can distribute to participants beyond that 125 limit. In addition, participants can receive awards worth up to $400 from the school and up to $400 from the conference for postseason play, covering both conference title games and any bowl game.

But woe betide any player who <gasp> tries to SELL any of it while still in school.  Just ask Terrell Pryor.

So sometimes it's good.  IIRC, the Belk Bowl just gives a big gift cert to their department store.  This at least lets the guys pick whatever they want/can really actually use.  That's probably ok, but most memorabilia?  It's meaningful to a lot of the players, but for many.....I commend to your attention, Bruce Springsteen's Glory Days.

The coaches do love the practice time, but they'd keep light practices going all year if they could.  And given that, after the game, there's gonna be 3 months off before even spring drills, how much do those extra practices really help?  College coaches (in most sports) are often control freaks who have darn near absolute power within the NCAA limits, so of course they love the practices.

ARGH.

Sick and tired of apologist commentators WRT targeting.

Levy and Griese, on the LSU/UCF game.  LSU DB just got tossed for targeting and they go "gosh it's so hard to avoid the targeting!"

The receiver had been held up by one DB;  it was a second DB coming in with, it looks like, his eyes down...but definitely at full speed to plow THROUGH the receiver.  THAT is what leads to the targeting.  It's the brainless approach to the hit that means you can never adjust.  So to me it's coaches who teach mindless aggression and players who can't think.

BTW, looks like LSU has a bigger grudge, against UCF for their pretension.  LSU is manhandling them.  Stupidly (2 ejections so far) but that's an LSU trademark too.  

43 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

But woe betide any player who <gasp> tries to SELL any of it while still in school.  Just ask Terrell Pryor.

So sometimes it's good.  IIRC, the Belk Bowl just gives a big gift cert to their department store.  This at least lets the guys pick whatever they want/can really actually use.  That's probably ok, but most memorabilia?  It's meaningful to a lot of the players, but for many.....I commend to your attention, Bruce Springsteen's Glory Days.

The coaches do love the practice time, but they'd keep light practices going all year if they could.  And given that, after the game, there's gonna be 3 months off before even spring drills, how much do those extra practices really help?  College coaches (in most sports) are often control freaks who have darn near absolute power within the NCAA limits, so of course they love the practices.

Coaches would practice 12 hours a day every day if they could

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Coaches would practice 12 hours a day every day if they could

Which makes the "Student" part of "student=athlete" difficult to manage during the season. How do they even find time for classes between intensive practices, off=-time conditioning, and the travel involved in going to distant places to play road games? I hope there is a period where those athletes who really care about their studies and earn their degrees rapidly can intensely pursue the student part while letting football take a back seat until spring and summer practices?

Hey, did anyone tell Washington they had a game today?

Also, and I know Iuz will disagree vehemently, but I hope Texas absolutely rolls Georgia tonight so we can dispense with all their "We should've been in the playoffs instead of Notre Dame" nonsense. You now what, Georgia? You haven't earned the Alabama Exemption. You want to play for the National Championship? Win your conference, bro.

And yes, I'm fully aware that Notre Dame didn't win a conference. They're in Independent, and they went undefeated. You can't do more than that.

Huskies got the memo late, it seems.  

ND got in because they'd whine interminably if they weren't let in.  They think they're owed playoff spots by virtue of being Notre Dame.  Sorry, you can't STILL trade on Knute Rockne.  

And did ya see the quick shot pregame of what Beevo thought of UGA?  UGA quite smartly jumped outta the way!

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Hey, did anyone tell Washington they had a game today?

Also, and I know Iuz will disagree vehemently, but I hope Texas absolutely rolls Georgia tonight so we can dispense with all their "We should've been in the playoffs instead of Notre Dame" nonsense. You now what, Georgia? You haven't earned the Alabama Exemption. You want to play for the National Championship? Win your conference, bro.

And yes, I'm fully aware that Notre Dame didn't win a conference. They're in Independent, and they went undefeated. You can't do more than that.

I agree with the sentiment. But I can't ever pull for Texas.

giphy(15).gif.657c21ff17517c52da713572c32cd823.gif

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Huskies got the memo late, it seems.  

ND got in because they'd whine interminably if they weren't let in.  They think they're owed playoff spots by virtue of being Notre Dame.  Sorry, you can't STILL trade on Knute Rockne.  

And did ya see the quick shot pregame of what Beevo thought of UGA?  UGA quite smartly jumped outta the way!

Alabama and Notre Dame get exceptions if they are close.

In before "disinterested" excuses.

Always hate to see the horns win anything, now the Internet will teem with their raucous mating cries of "we are back" and "Wait until next year".

That said, the Sugar Bowl was a fun game to watch. And the fan chants at the end, while classless, were both inevitable and hilarious.

I mean, it's not as good as beating Alabama in the Sugar Bowl, but that's a quality win.

So "good job" and "bless your hearts".

(That's about as good as they'd ever be likely to get from me)

Initially when they added Penn State, it was name recognition some, but also "Big 11" sounds terrible. :)  Then with Nebraska..."Big 12" was taken.  And the last round, well hell, everyone's totally used to the name being bogus.  At this point with a Big 10 Network...yeah, the name's a brand so they're not changing it.

Missouri in the SEC is nothing compared to Colorado in the Pac-12, IMO.  About even with Maryland in the Big 10.

At least they neighbor the coastal states.

Plus it actually kept the natural groupings together.  NorCal, SoCal are actually a bus trip.  Eugene and Corvallis are only 50 miles apart...and that may take less time than going between USC and UCLA.  OK, Seattle to Pullman is another flight;  it's almost 300 miles.  Arizona and Arizona State are Tucson and Phoenix.  90 easy miles.  Even if your first game of the pair (and in basketball, they almost always schedule by pairs)...fly into Phoenix, drive down to Tucson is still an easy trip.  Phoenix is a significant hub airport, and it's better located.

The 2-game road trip to Logan and Boulder...ugh.  Don't think any big planes go into Boulder, so you fly into DIA.  It's 45 miles.  It's probably gotten better than when I went back and forth;  they put E-470 in.  That's a tollway, but heck, who cares?  Tolls for a couple buses is pocket change after flying everyone. :)  Logan...I'd think you fly through SLC?  But it looks like a significant drive up to Logan from there.  Makes for long days when you have to add that leg in.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Well, I was against the idea of letting the Arizona schools into the Pac-8, for all that's worth.

I'm still calling it the Pac-10.  I got used to that at some point, and I am sticking with it.  (and since the Big 10, didn't change, I don't care)

Note: Ok, actually half the time I just call it the Pac.  But, I'm not adding anything over 10 at this point on principle.

2nd Note: My dad referred to the "Oakland Raiders", the entire time they were in LA, so it must be hereditary.