College Football 2018-19

Pariah

I graduated from Washington in 1978, right before the first games of the Arizona schools as Pac-10 members.  At the time, AZ State football was coached by known abusive flaming a-hole Frank Kush.  His team was welcomed into the conference with a 41-7 defeat by the Huskies, which pleased a bunch of folks.

Yeah, I've heard of Frank Kush's antics.  If I remember the COlts were desperate enough to pick him up (and if I remember they then made the ill-fated Art Schlichter draft pick)

Edit: Oh and I forgot, legend has it, that Elway's decision to not play for them, may or may not have had playing for Kush factored in.

This off season is starting out very nicely. Bringing in Grinch as the new DC, which is my favorite of the available options. Very solid hire, took WSU from the #100 defense to #34 while he was there, and has been doing a good job up at Ohio State. Kish ("the Kish of death") who has overseen our abominable linebacker play, just retired.

So good. I can't wait for college football to start up again.

Oh well, at least there's the NFL.

Eh, I thought this was thoroughly depressing...i started the game with 1 juggernaut program head-and-shoulders above the rest, tonight confirmed that there 2.  Laurence and Ross are true freshmen with at least 2 more years and no quality in the ACC.  This is the championship game for another few years, as it has been for the last few years.

Great.  ?

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

In light of last night's result, it may be time to reevaluate Notre Dame's loss last week. It's possible the Irish don't suck as much as we all thought. Maybe Clemson's just that good.

No, they still suck.  

I agree there's little chance we won't see Clemson in the playoffs;  everyone else in the ACC is fine, I think, chasing for the #2 spot.  And Clemson's solidly getting top 3 recruiting classes.  Dabo's not even 50, so he's probably not running out of steam any time soon.  Bama has to face an SEC schedule so it's not quite a lock they'll make the playoffs, but by and large...it's pretty darn likely there's only 2 open spots.

So the final polls have come out, and of course Clemson is number one in both. I was interested in how many G5 teams made the final polls. There were five of them. Central Florida, of course. And three teams from the Mountain West: Boise State, Fresno State, and...Utah State? Yeah, Utah State. Weird. But maybe even weirder: Army.

Army has been the other two Service Academies' whipping boy for the last...oh, I don't know, three decades or so. Now they have the Commander in Chief's for the third consecutive year and finish the season ranked in the top 25.

The wheel turns.

9 minutes ago, Pariah said:

So the final polls have come out, and of course Clemson is number one in both. I was interested in how many G5 teams made the final polls. There were five of them. Central Florida, of course. And three teams from the Mountain West: Boise State, Fresno State, and...Utah State? Yeah, Utah State. Weird. But maybe even weirder: Army.

Army has been the other two Service Academies' whipping boy for the last...oh, I don't know, three decades or so. Now they have the Commander in Chief's for the third consecutive year and finish the season ranked in the top 25.

The wheel turns.

Amry has found something modern defenses are not built to stop and carried it into respectability. How long this will last remains to be seen.

Well, the service academies have had some kind of wishbone/flexbone/triple option type offense for the last 20-25 years.  I think the big issue for them is can they get enough of a talent level to actually want to come there.  ANd the last quarter century generally suggest: only periodically.  

Well now, this I did not know.  The story's a year old but I daresay it'll be new for most of us:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2017/11/08/army-air-force-navy-all-now-outsourcing-athletics/820130001/

Doesn't address the point that they're not recruiting for sports talent, so there'll be much more variability as noted, but you can go a long way with very good athletes who are dedicated and disciplined.  It does mean that good coaches may well stay longer, if they like the environment, because yeah, ok, they'll make more elsewhere, but seven figures is seven figures.  No recruiting hassles.  FAR fewer discipline hassles.  Gotta figure the pressure is much lower.  The military commitments add some complications, but overall...I would expect the academies to be great HC jobs.