College Football 2018-19

Pariah

Yeah, the players' difficulties in transference is another added bonus for my feelings (though I think it is supposed to be slightly easier for those undergoing a regime change, but I don't know all the transfer rules, nor do I really care to delve too deep into it)

Edit: though it does seem easier (and more common) for transfers to occur than 30 years ago. As it seemed to almost never happen back then, and if so, sitting out a year was a guarantee (unless the previous college they attended euthanized their program in that sport, if I remember)

There is a loophole in the NCAA rules which permits players who have already earned their degrees to transfer to another school without penalty to pursue higher degrees. It's a widely abused provision among players who think they're pro material, who often drop out of their graduate programs once their eligibility runs out. (Some do stick it out, of course, especially those players who are marginal pro prospects at best.)

6 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

There is a loophole in the NCAA rules which permits players who have already earned their degrees to transfer to another school without penalty to pursue higher degrees. It's a widely abused provision among players who think they're pro material, who often drop out of their graduate programs once their eligibility runs out. (Some do stick it out, of course, especially those players who are marginal pro prospects at best.)

Sure, but how is that different from the kids who drop out from their undergrad programs after 2 or 3 years, to go pro? 

That situation requires you remain at the school where you signed your letter, for 4 or 5 years before you can switch, and also requires that you actually have eligibility remaining.  It's almost non-existent in football;  it's relatively common in basketball.  (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/prevalence-graduate-transfer-division-i)  BUT...here's the kicker, IMO.  Men's basketball has the one-and-done rule, so there's always going to be significant churn from that aspect.  The NBA also has the fewest openings and *by far* the smallest turnover.  The draft itself only has 2 rounds in it.  That's to give everyone else, whose chances are *very* slim, a chance to make it onto any team, via D League and Summer League ball.  The draft itself is *heavily* weighted to the 1-and-done talents.

So I'm not sure there's as big a problem as it might seem...other than the system may have a self-perpetuating aspect in mens' basketball, because the playing time goes to the 1-and-dones and the grad transfers, which means there's more perceived need to invoke the grad transfer rule by the kids who aren't getting any time.  

NCAA should put dent in college football superpowers by reducing scholarship limits

The recommendations: Cut scholarships from 85 to 70, with no more than 20 signings in any one year. Convert five of the fifteen lost scholarships into coaching scholarships, and distribute the other ten to other sports.

I don't think this is anything that anyone other than the author has been thinking or talking about, but it's an interesting idea.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

NCAA should put dent in college football superpowers by reducing scholarship limits

The recommendations: Cut scholarships from 85 to 70, with no more than 20 signings in any one year. Convert five of the fifteen lost scholarships into coaching scholarships, and distribute the other ten to other sports.

I don't think this is anything that anyone other than the author has been thinking or talking about, but it's an interesting idea.

To start with, I seriously doubt it would make that much difference.  The top programs will still be drawing from the top 1/10th of a percent of recruits.  Next, it wouldn't surprise me if this caused more underclass churn...players leaving after 2 or 3 years.  Probably 3.  More transfers.  Basically...I don't think this is a well-thought-out proposal.  And last...Bama's dominance is gonna likely end fairly soon.  It's highly unlikely they'll stay on top once Saban leaves, and every top coach that hangs on, eventually loses that touch.  

And it has zero chance of getting through.  Optimistically.

Starlord:  I saw that last night and gagged too.  My Buckeye Loathe will continue indefinitely.

BYU avoided a second consecutive losing season by dominating Western Michigan 49-18 in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. Stat of the night: BYU finished the game without an incomplete pass. Freshman Zach Wilson finished the night 18/18 for 317 yards. Senior Tanner Mangum, who's from Idaho, threw and completed one pass for 41 yards in his final game for the Cougars. BYU was down 10-7 at halftime but scored touchdowns on all six of their possessions in the second half.

Sadly, I got to see not one second of the game due to holiday-related activities. :(

On 12/21/2018 at 6:25 AM, Pariah said:

I think that's extremely unlikely due to the Golden Rule.

"He who has the gold, makes the rules"

Damn Army. I retract my earlier implied criticism and scorn following the near loss of my Sooners in overtime.

You scary. 11-2, best season in school history. Absolutely rolled your bowl opponent (and Navy - but that's only really important to Army). Most disciplined, ball controlling, triple option running team I've seen in years.

Respect.

15 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

Damn Army. I retract my earlier implied criticism and scorn following the near loss of my Sooners in overtime.

You scary. 11-2, best season in school history. Absolutely rolled your bowl opponent (and Navy - but that's only really important to Army). Most disciplined, ball controlling, triple option running team I've seen in years.

Respect.

Air Force, maybe 10 years ago, when they had some really good teams.  They've got some physical restrictions that *don't* necessarily apply to Army or Navy, cuz their cadets have to fit into flight suits and they don't make those for 6'7" and 320.  Haven't seen enough of Army to say which one was better;  just offering them up as another strong ball-control team.  IIRC Navy also had a good ground game, but in their good years, I think they were a bit more balanced.  Perhaps not;  it's not like the academies get on TV a lot and I don't go out of my way to follow them.

And yes, there is a theme there.

14 hours ago, Pariah said:

70-14?!

Mother of Hades. 

Only fools bet early bowl games or read anything into their outcomes.  You *never* know in advance what teams are gonna play, and what teams checked out for Christmas break ahead of time.  

I also do believe in a steamroll effect...once things go south, they keep going south...and going, and going, and going.  Just happens way too often.  And when a team's closing out a season and there's no reason to play any more?  Chances increase considerably.  I only caught a couple highlights from this one, but I gotta think that was another big factor.

No one's prepared to stop the run.  Air Force used this to their advantage as well.  Heck, even the Ravens are doing it in the pros to a degree.  It's a copycat sport, and Passing Is In.  So DBs are smaller, there's more DBs than linebackers, defenses play back a step...the focus is on stopping 3+ receivers.  No team can switch on a dime to do something completely different.

6 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I was curious enough to timeshift the Army game. Theoretically, a team that runs 95% of the time can be defended by crowding the box and taking away the seams in the defense. That didn't happen. Army could run the ball at will and get results. I haven't seen anything like it in years.

The triple option is a bit more complicated than your average run-heavy offense.  to be fair.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

No one's prepared to stop the run.  Air Force used this to their advantage as well.  Heck, even the Ravens are doing it in the pros to a degree.  It's a copycat sport, and Passing Is In.  So DBs are smaller, there's more DBs than linebackers, defenses play back a step...the focus is on stopping 3+ receivers.  No team can switch on a dime to do something completely different.

Arent the Steelers playing on safety as a de facto LB in a lot of formations?

So now we know without any possible doubt that bowl games are meaningless.

10 minutes into the First Responders Bowl, there was a lightning strike within 8 miles.  That's an auto trigger for a 30 minute delay;  no problems there per se.  I tend to think it's overkill, but that's a separate issue..  That was about noon my time.  Kept up.  At around 1:20 or so my time...SBNation says "the teams and bowl reps just decided not to play."

Bleah.  

Seems fair to say that the teams were likely never all that interested, if they gave up that easily...unless of course the storms were forecast to continue for another 2 hours.  Don't know.  Not saying I'd agree, but that would be kinda understandable....BUT it still undercuts any possible meaning for playing the stupid game at all.