The stench of death.

Trencher

I was wondering how you would build the effect of smelling terrible smell from dead bodies or from zombies?

Anyone who have opned a refigiator that have been without power for a couple of days know how such stench can drain you of energy and breath but let me tell you its nothing compared to the real deal. 

Once when I was on a school trip in Denmark we came across a dead pig out in the countryside. It was like being hit in the face by a giant fist! Normal function was not possible. 

So how to do this in realistic rules?

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

Ten seconds on google suggests it's a reference to a Japanese cartoon about a bunch of zombie pop-stars. 

The name of the group is a zombie pun.

One: it is a sound of a sneeze.

Two: It combines the japanies word for "Aroma" and "Decay".

Three: Have a cookie Gnome Body.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:09 PM, Trencher said:

I was wondering how you would build the effect of smelling terrible smell from dead bodies or from zombies?

Anyone who have opned a refigiator that have been without power for a couple of days know how such stench can drain you of energy and breath but let me tell you its nothing compared to the real deal. 

Once when I was on a school trip in Denmark we came across a dead pig out in the countryside. It was like being hit in the face by a giant fist! Normal function was not possible. 

So how to do this in realistic rules?

Well, I have always wondered:  How can a zombie sneak up on someone?

I never "ruled" it all out, but I did something similar in one of my recent campaigns. 

Players had to go into the sewers (which would be disgusting normally) but these ones also had a lot of dead and rotting animals in them. I had them make a EGO check at -2 and if they succeeded then no issues, but if they failed they received a  -1 penalty to all rolls/checks/OCV & DCV for every point they missed their CON roll by. This lasted for a set time, then slowly reduced as they we forced to get used to the smell. 

It was more for effect and atmosphere, as by the time they reached the big bad at the end, enough time had passed that even the character the rolled the worst had still recovered to normal. Still it made things interesting for some of the earlier encounters and surprisingly enough the Players seemed to be okay with it, as it made it a bit more interesting/fun/challenging then the usual dungeon crawls of Fantasy games.  

After they got out of the sewers I also made them all make CON checks to see if they got ill or any infections from the time spent down there. It was normal CON check, but -1 for every 3 Points of BODY damage the Character had received in the sewers (unless that damage was magically healed already). That was something the Players didn't so much like, even though only one of them got sick and it didn't take long for them to get cured. 

• 3 weeks later...