College Football 2019-20

Pariah

48-14 final. Jalen Hurts is a bad man. Defense continues to improve, still have not faced an elite offense though. At game 3, 25% through the regular season, OU is a legit contender for the conference champ. Maybe the playoffs. 

It reminds me of what is best in life...1557023635_giphy(51).gif.754564524172aab6fc8fba720ba6da8c.gif

Adding the highlight link. In reflecting on it that was definitely Jalen Hurts most complete performance this season. And the Defensive performance while not ideal demonstrates massive improvement over last year. I'll take it. 

I'm genuinely uncertain what to think of the BYU-Washington game. It seems like just the kind of game where BYU could be out of it by halftime, like they were last year. On the other hand, I didn't see them hanging with USC the way they did.

...and BYU crashes back to Earth against a very talented Washington team.

So the Cougars make it 2-2 in their 4-game opening sequence against 3 teams from the PAC and 1 from the SEC. They could easily be 0-4. So 2-2 is not a bad outcome.

Of their remaining games, the ones that look the most challenging are Boise State (Oct. 21st in Provo) and Utah State (November 2nd in Logan). San Diego State is never a gimme, especially in San Diego, and although USF looks to be down this year, BYU has never won a game in the state of Florida. 

Toledo, Liberty, UMass, and Idaho State should all be manageable games, though. BYU has a good shot at improving on their 7-win season from last year.

Baby steps.

Yes, there is no 'd' in 'Pullman'.  Nor any special teams; I thought I saw two punts muffed deep in their own territory, including the one that became the losing score.

The Huskies ... I dunno.  Whenever I peeked on the Washington-BYU game Saturday, it seemed that BYU made a big play, but when I ducked out and checked later it seemed they didn't score.  They're a better-than-average team, but as a more dedicated fan than I said yesterday, while they probably belong in the top 25, but near the bottom of that top 25.  Could be that Cal wins the Pac-12 North this year.

EDIT: Biased but informed comments re: Pac-12

It actually surprised me that Oregon beat Stanford. The Cardinal have usually been their Kryptonite because they play hard-nosed, smash-mouth football that tends to grind down the flashy but less physical Ducks. well, this time Oregon did punch them in the mouth, and kept on punching them in the mouth again and again until they crumbled.

Next is a bye weekend, followed by what looks like a very big game against Cal.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:29 AM, Starlord said:

Ok, Clemson should've lost to a NC team that lost last week to App St at home.  They'd BETTER drop far out of that #1 ranking spot.

Not that far. the AP top five, in order, is Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, and LSU. Three of the five are in the SEC, and there are two more SEC teams (Auburn and Florida) in the top ten.

The highest-ranked PAC-12 team is Oregon at #13.

a one-loss Notre Dame team is ranked #9, one ahead of a Florida team with five (!) wins.

And Chip Kelly's UCLA team falls to 1-5 after losing to Oregon State. Nobody loses to Oregon State at the conference level. It's practically a fundamental law of the universe.

Plus they had to give away hundreds if not thousands of tickets, and the stands were still empty. It was the single most humiliating event of the college season so far.

Oklahoma beat texas today 34-27. Defense is massively improved, last year this game got Mike Stoops fired. This year's performance is going to get Alex Grinch a raise. 9 sacks. Lord. 

OU offense was mediocre for a half, then stepped up. CeeDee Lamb is legit, he'll be playing on sundays. 10 receptions, 171 yards, and 3TDs in the RRS is historic. Despite his earlier comments that "he'd be fine" because he had played in Auburn-Bama/Iron Bowl,  Jalen looked rattled. Fumble. INT. Poor first half, but he pulled it together and by the end of the second half he was a world beater again. It's an intense rivalry. 

And the horns down made a significant appearance as soon as they blew the final whistle. Thank God. Such a stupid rule pushed for by charmin-soft texas.

Boomer Sooner. I shall now consume the charred carcass of the enemy's mascot. As it should be. EGs_OlGX0AYdz5a.thumb.jpg.1a6bdbd4e14aaa867559bd36c2dc0744.jpg5d8fc142ee61a.image.jpg.30e289628d30e14a6efe1cf78d015f28.jpg

...and BYU is now 0-8 all time in the state of Florida, after a come-from-ahead loss in the second half. Once again, BYU's sieve of a run defense cost them the game. If I'm any coach with a game remaining against the Cougars, I'm going to run the ball until they stop me. 

The season is halfway over, and the Cougars have yet to win a game in regulation.

I wonder who BYU's next head coach is going to be....