College Football 2019-20

Pariah

12 hours ago, Pariah said:

Is it bad that I'm already looking forward to an Ole Miss-Washington State bowl game? Because with those two coaches on the sidelines, it would have the potential to be incredibly entertaining.

They should play that bowl game at the same time the two schools' basketball teams play a game, and the bet will be which sport reaches the higher aggregate score.

Both alternate uniforms in today's Army-Navy game look fantastic. Army's olive green and white color scheme is unique. There's really no other team in the country that could wear that. As for Navy, I think they should ditch their current uniforms and wear what they're wearing today all the time. It has a fantastic old school look.

The Big Sky Conference has sent two teams to the FCS Final Four. Montana State advances to the semifinals for the first time since 1984, the last time they won a national championship. They get defending champion North Dakota State for their trouble. Weber State got revenge on Montana for a loss in the regular season and advances to the semifinals for the first time in school history. They will now face James Madison, the only team not named North Dakota State to win an FCS Championship in the last eight years. It's going to be a couple of fantastic games.

So BYU ends the season with six losses. Two of those losses, Utah and Washington, were blowouts and not in the least unexpected. Two more losses came to former Mountain West rivals San Diego State and Hawaii by close margins. These are at least understandable. And then there were the two absolutely inexplicable losses, at Toledo and at South Florida.

But they also had seven wins, including Southern Cal and Boise at home and Tennessee and Utah State on the road.

All in all, a very inconsistent season. Sadly, that's been the norm for the last five or six years. I'm not sure how they fix that.

Nothing surprising about that. They scored 28 points on Bookie and Woodie alone. Can't even tell you how many 3rd downs they converted on them. 

Three suspensions and a broken collar bone, and LSU was playing our second team defense (and I mentioned earlier this season how thin we are with Grinch rebuilding the defense this year).

Meh, good for LSU. They did exactly what they were supposed to in that situation. 

I do kind of want to LSU win, feels like they deserve one, after they stole it from them all these years ago when the BCS said "Hey, I know LSU already beat Alabama, and Alabama doesn't really deserve to be in because they weren't good enough to play for the SEC championship, but let's do it anyway".

By all right they should have played the second most deserving team (I think it was Oklahoma St. that year).  And let it fall where it may between that.

Still surprised they didn't find a way to get Alabama in there this year.

Look, while I dislike the "whole bowl games named for corporate sponsors" bit, I do understand that that's where the money comes from. But the Tony the Tiger logo at the center of the field at the Sun Bowl is absolutely ridiculous. Between the size of the text and the color scheme, you can barely make out the bowl's name at all.

So, with the meaningful college football season now over, Oklahoma finished 12-2. In the plus column they moved up to 38th in overall defense, up from 108th last year. Won a fifth consecutive conference championship. Made the playoffs (again). Beat texas. Third time starting QB got an invite to New York, although he didn't win this time. And even on an off year, the offense was all world again (4th in total offense).

On the minus column they got beat badly in the playoffs, worse than either of the last two losses by a country mile. And there is maybe 2 more years of rebuilding to fix the damage done by Mike "my brother is Bob" Stoops, the defensive talent level is that far back from other top teams. 

Still, none of that was shocking in a rebuilding year. If you'd asked me ahead of the season I'd probably have taken it. That's objectively a pretty good down cycle, now to see if they can keep it rolling next year. 

Well, bowl season in the state of Utah was an utter disaster. Utah State scored 41 points and still lost by 10 to a team from the MAC. BYU held a late lead on Hawaii, but lost due to poor clock management, even poorer defense, and a season-sealing interception. Utah didn't remember to show up for the Alamo Bowl  and made 7-5 Texas look like a playoff team. It was a complete disaster.

The only Utah team with any success in the postseason was FCS Weber State, who made it to the semifinals for the first time in school history. Go Wildcats!

The rest of the Intermountain West fared a little better. Colorado and Colorado State both celebrated bowl season from their couches--again--but Air Force beat Washington State. Boise State was absolutely waxed by Washington, demonstrating that Chris Petersen is still the master. But Wyoming had a nice little bowl win over Georgia State, and in Laramie, that's not nothing.

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

Well, bowl season in the state of Utah was an utter disaster. Utah State scored 41 points and still lost by 10 to a team from the MAC. BYU held a late lead on Hawaii, but lost due to poor clock management, even poorer defense, and a season-sealing interception. Utah didn't remember to show up for the Alamo Bowl  and made 7-5 Texas look like a playoff team. It was a complete disaster.

The only Utah team with any success in the postseason was FCS Weber State, who made it to the semifinals for the first time in school history. Go Wildcats!

The rest of the Intermountain West fared a little better. Colorado and Colorado State both celebrated bowl season from their couches--again--but Air Force beat Washington State. Boise State was absolutely waxed by Washington, demonstrating that Chris Petersen is still the master. But Wyoming had a nice little bowl win over Georgia State, and in Laramie, that's not nothing.

They were disinterested in a non-CFP bowl. Works for the SEC.

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

Yes, it's one of the myriad things about the $EC that I dislike.

One of the things I enjoy about tossing it back out there any chance I get, is that it is so patently ridiculous. Others I've adopted include "people just don't understand the relentless grind of conference play in the <insert conference name>", and pointing out the inanity of "conference pride" when your team isn't playing (particularly when it's your rival). There are so many things to pick from, but they wouldn't understand. After all, in the Big XII it just means more.