College Football 2019-20

Pariah

Among the 'highlights' from last night was BYU's 9th straight defeat to archrival Utah. Same old story: BYU can't hold on to the ball, can't avoid stupid penalties at inopportune times, can't score touchdowns in the red zone, and can't make adjustments in the second half. My daughter started fourth grade a couple of weeks ago; BYU has never beaten Utah in her lifetime.

Of personal interest, Colorado and Colorado state play at Mile High tonight. I fully expect CU to obliterate CSU, as they usually do. Pity.

Give me three weeks, and I can tell you if BYU would be competitive. After a road trip to Tennessee next week, the Cougars' next two games are against USC and Washington.

(Based on their performance against Utah the other day, however, my initial answer is probably not.)

Boise State, however, has demonstrated that they can play with pretty much anyone.

18 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

Going to call my score on this first game. OU wins but does not cover, takes a couple games for the offense to find it's stride, defense better than last year but not good yet. 

42-28 OU

On 8/31/2019 at 8:19 PM, Pariah said:

What the [REDACTED] just happened with Auburn & Oregon?!

Is it too soon for the annual despair for the Ducks?

Though I shouldn't complain, since my niece is admitted to Oregon State.

27 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Is it too soon for the annual despair for the Ducks?

Though I shouldn't complain, since my niece is admitted to Oregon State.

Probably too soon, Oregon lost on a last second play against a P5 nonconference team in their season opener. There are some early warning signs, but hard to say how the season will play out in the Pac 12. Wouldn't say they are the front runners but nothing over yet. If you lose, lose early in a close game. 

On 9/2/2019 at 10:00 AM, Iuz the Evil said:

Probably too soon, Oregon lost on a last second play against a P5 nonconference team in their season opener. There are some early warning signs, but hard to say how the season will play out in the Pac 12. Wouldn't say they are the front runners but nothing over yet. If you lose, lose early in a close game. 

They're in the same division as Washington, and Stanford is almost as big a rival as the Beavers after what they've done to Duck seasons in recent years. Actually, the only obvious pushovers in the division are OSU and Colorado. It'll be a dogfight (quite literally) unless one team pulls decisively ahead in early October.

Yes, I included Washington State in the non-pushover category. Difficult as it likely is to convince top-level recruits to the cold prairie of Pullman, they seem to have been been punching above their weight for years.

After trailing (and frankly looking pretty inept) for most of the game, BYU hit a 64-yard pass with under a minute left to set up the tying field goal. Then they scored a touchdown in the second overtime to beat Tennessee in Knoxville.

I watched it happen, and I still can't believe it.

5 minutes ago, Pariah said:

After trailing (and frankly looking pretty inept) for most of the game, BYU hit a 64-yard pass with under a minute left to set up the tying field goal. Then they scored a touchdown in the second overtime to beat Tennessee in Knoxville.

I watched it happen, and I still can't believe it.

That sounds fantastic. 

Oklahoma beat South Dakota State University at Owen Field in Norman 70-14, proving absolutely nothing. 

UCLA, the Sooners next opponent, lost to San Diego State University (after losing to Cincinnati last week). 

I'm planning to go to the OU-UCLA game next week. Crossing my fingers.