Reading Rainbow: the March 2020 Superdraft

Sociotard

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

Though it taught me that

• Wikipedia's fictional character lists are just about exclusively from movies and TV
  • The satanic corporate boss and heartlessly corrupt and openly venial government functionary tropes are also largely from TV and especially movies

I thought it taught you that Stardust was a graphic novel first? 

At this point, chancellor castillar dy Cazaril very much wanted to put his head in his crooked hands. Cautious of his dignity, though, he settled for a raised eyebrow and a sigh.

"Annaliss ... Are you sure about these people?"

The courier, who rarely cared for her dignity, gave him a hurt look.

"My lord chancellor, I followed your instructions to the letter, sir. I even said my bedside prayers, and that's rare!"

"Well, then, let's see ... A pair of not-at-all brigands -- an apprentice bard and an apprentice conjurer, I think is how you described them -- and a grave young man and a ... gardener. A very short gardener."

"They say he's a very good gardener, my lord. If short."

"And you and I, too. What a strange party. Still, I suppose it could be worse, and I've found that it pays to put one's trust in the gods. Let's see these fellows, then -- show them into my private office."

When she showed the strange fellows into the room, Liss found the chancellor warming his hands by the small fireplace in the corner. He turned when he heard them.

"Ah, gentlemen. Take a seat, do", he said, gesturing towards three chairs and a stool in a row in front of the writing table. "What have you been told about this little meeting?"

"Very little, lord," said the tall, red-haired man in a cheerful tone. "Your girl here" -- he nodded towards Liss as she took up position behind Cazaril's right shoulder -- "just said that she had orders to find capable men for a job sanctioned by important people. Sounded very mysterious, and we like profitable mysteries."

"Yes. Profitable," said Cazaril, with a sour little smile. "Well, let me dispel a little of the mystery, at least, even if much of this affair is as mysterious to me as it is for you. You see, you are here because of divine intervention."

The four fellows exchanged glances with blank faces.

"Yes, hard to believe, isn't it? I have had the ... pleasure of, at times, hosting the gods for miracles. I dare say that it's well known, but I believe you four are strangers to Caredgoss and Chalion." Cazaril leaned over the table. "The Father of Winter spoke to me in my dreams the night before last. He warned of a foreign sorcerer, a demon worshiper from beyond the Archipelago, who is searching for a magic ring. The god said that this sorcerer must not ever be allowed to possess this ring, and that it must be destroyed by any means necessary. I was instructed to take the first four persons who entered the gates of Cardegoss this morning and take them to hunt for this ring and, gentlemen, these four are you."

"My lord," said the dark-haired, slim man with shifty eyes, "that sounds straightforward enough. It wouldn't be the first sorcerer Fafhrd and I has had dealings with. I almost think that the two of us would be all that your grace needs. But I would be very interested in what talents our new friends here have."

The pale young man dressed in grey cleared his throat and said, in a quiet voice, "I have a knack for languages ... and to remain unseen when needed. This might come in handy."

The very short gardener with a ruddy face squirmed a bit. "I have had dealings with rings before."

"Capital!" said Cazaril, putting his gnarled hands together. "Very good. Now, the hard part. The ring and the sorcerer is not in this world. They can be found in a realm beyond the Walls of Sleep, and this" -- the chancellor held up a large, ornate silver key -- "is the means to get there ..."