Reading Rainbow: the March 2020 Superdraft

Sociotard

UOption: Co-authors (George Orwell, & Richard Adams).

Emily Bronte wrote the manuscript. George Orwell took a pass through it and rewrote parts of it in his ‘voice’, still left it in manuscript form. Richard Adams found it, rewrote it in his ‘voice’ and published it as “Fiver & Company”.

The genre of the story is “gothic tragedy”. Part Wuthering Heights, part Animal Farm, and part Watership Down. 

"What was that?" asked Violet, shuddering.

Shaking, Hermione asked, "Do you mean the low growling or the dark chanting?"

A voice floated toward them through the mists.

Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjubb bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!

"The What?" asked Frodo. "What is a Jabberwock?"

"What is a Bandersnatch?" echoed Coraline.

"What is Frumious??" said Alcatraz, practically screaming.

-------

Option pick, the pursuing beast that threatens at every turn, The Jabberwock!

allen-douglas-jabberwock.jpg?1498150823

Just now, Sociotard said:

Pariah, I hope you don't mind I changed "The Grandfather" to "Mr. Goldman". I was wrong, in the novel it is the narrators FATHER that read him the story, not the grandfather. 

That's right! I remember that, now that you mention it. Nice call.

In what is probably foreshadowing the dark end of our story, we draft the character Klamm, the elusive -- unreachable? -- Castle Authority, from Franz Kafka's The Castle.

Since we made no pick yesterday, we also draft another terrifying story element.  As an option, we draft the hurricane from the 2000 historical novel, Isaac's Storm.

Character: Tom Joad (The Grapes of Wrath)

One man, one family driven from the land; this rusty car creaking along the highway to the west. I lost my land, the spread of red weed took my land. I am alone and bewildered. And in the night one family camps in a ditch and another family pulls in and the tents come out. The two men squat on their hams and the women and children listen. Here is the node, you who hate change and fear revolution. Keep these two squatting men apart; make them hate, fear, suspect each other. Then they're too busy to think on the Martians.

Hmm, I know I need a Quisling, a politician locked up after the colonial period ends for having been a collaborator, and interviewed by the narrator. But, maybe they don't need to have been a Quisling in their novel. Maybe they would've been a quisling in this setting. Maybe they're just … selfish.

Character: Howard Roark (The Fountainhead)

People ask me, why didn't you side with humanity. Despicable, that I would give up my sense of self. The Martians let me design my buildings on the side, and only asked that I administrate for them. And I did.

Player: csyphrett

Title:

Author: Walter Gibson

Character: the old man in the corner (The Case of Miss Eliott)

Character: Professor Van Dusen (The Thinking Machine)

Character: Nick Charles (The Thin Man)

Character: Father Brown (The Innocence of Father Brown)

Character:

Character: Mr. Harley Quin (The Mysterious Mr. Quin)

Character:

Option: The Orient Express (Murder on the Orient Express)

Option:Nora Charles (The Thin Man)

Option:

I think I am down one pick from yesterday. I think I will pick Lord Darcy

CES

On 3/13/2020 at 11:30 AM, Cancer said:

In what is probably foreshadowing the dark end of our story, we draft the character Klamm, the elusive -- unreachable? -- Castle Authority, from Franz Kafka's The Castle.

Since we made no pick yesterday, we also draft another terrifying story element.  As an option, we draft the hurricane from the 2000 historical novel, Isaac's Storm.

Apologies, Lord Commissioner, there's errors in my current roster:

You plugged in Klamm as an option, not a character,

And you overlooked the hurricane as an option pick.

I expect I have one pick remaining (an option) for Monday.  I may spend it on cover art for my book.

"You can fly?" 

"Sometimes," said the little girl. She smiled as she floated lazily in the air. "If I have fairy dust."

Hermione scrunched her face in disapproval. Fairies were bad business as far as she was concerned. 

"That's amazing," said Violet. 

"Indeed," said the cat as he flew in a loop up to meet Wendy's face. "I never met a flying girl before. Do you like tea?"

"I adore tea!" she said happily as she bounced in the air.

"Too bad we don't have any tea," said Frodo, not for the first time, or the last. 

"Oh," said Wendy sadly as she sank to the ground. 

-------

I wasn't going to go this direction, but with my last option pick she's still here, so I select Wendy Darling from Peter Pan.

d15ee052796803.591cc38b2eade.jpg

Title forthcoming.