Reading Rainbow: the March 2020 Superdraft

Sociotard

Of course, no tale of Regency-era romance and intrigue would be complete without a proper estate for the happy couple to live happily ever after in. Well, this estate isn't exactly proper. There's something...well, unnatural about it. But it's what they'll have to work with.

Option: Manderley Estate in Cornwall

Rebecca_1940_27+sm..jpg

5 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

"You can fly?" 

"Sometimes," said the little girl. She smiled as she floated lazily in the air. "If I have fairy dust."

Hermione scrunched her face in disapproval. Fairies were bad business as far as she was concerned. 

"That's amazing," said Violet. 

"Indeed," said the cat as he flew in a loop up to meet Wendy's face. "I never met a flying girl before. Do you like tea?"

"I adore tea!" she said happily as she bounced in the air.

"Too bad we don't have any tea," said Frodo, not for the first time, or the last. 

"Oh," said Wendy sadly as she sank to the ground. 

-------

I wasn't going to go this direction, but with my last option pick she's still here, so I select Wendy Darling from Peter Pan.

d15ee052796803.591cc38b2eade.jpg

Title forthcoming. 

Wendy first appeared in the play. No good. oddly enough, Peter Pan is legit, because he first appeared in an earlier novel that wasn't really about him.

Barrie returned to the character of Peter Pan as the centre of his stage play entitled Peter Pan, or The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up, which premiered on 27 December 1904 in London. Barrie later adapted and expanded the play's storyline as a novel, published in 1911 as Peter and Wendy.

There was a novel first, but Peter was just a cameo. He was still a baby flying around Kensington Gardens after fairies taught him how. Wendy and Neverland and Hook and the rest of the mythos don't appear. 

Poe's writings on the Unruly Girls ends here lost... unfinished, or perhaps never started. Puss in Boots was on his last life about to pass away from an arrow wound delivered by Susan's madness and archery. Baba Yaga's cried in pain as Pippi and a giant Alice tried to pull the old witch apart like taffy. And... in all this, a desperate Mary Poppins does the unthinkable to save the children, grabbing the monkey's paw and wishing that what ever dark hold was over them be broken!

Edgar Allan Poe was meant to live a long life of near a century, during which he would take characters from beloved stories of others, create some before others could, and work on a manuscript in what some would today call 'fan fiction', but as in the bowels of Fantastica, the place where our world and stories touch, the paw is used... he finds himself dying at age forty, crying out "Lord help my poor soul!". While Alice, Dorothy, Pippi and Susan would instead be remembered far differently.. some would say as they should be.  And numerous works of dark wonder are lost.

And the price would not end there.

In this new reality, Mary Poppins, despite her true creator's wishes, would end up with her very image forever in the grip of Disney- not a fate for the faint of heart and not always pleasant.

And with her own memory of her desperate wish lost...

and old woman , muttering in Russian, walks along the woods and looks for a lost monkey's paw. Picking it up, she calls for her Hut. Her new Familiar in his fine boots behind her.

Option: Setting Fantastica (AKA Fantasia in the film but not in the book- Neverending Story)

Option: The Fourth Wall is broken long enough to save the day at a great cost.

latest?cb=20160608080822

On 3/13/2020 at 12:49 PM, Bazza said:

UOption: Co-authors (George Orwell, & Richard Adams).

Emily Bronte wrote the manuscript. George Orwell took a pass through it and rewrote parts of it in his ‘voice’, still left it in manuscript form. Richard Adams found it, rewrote it in his ‘voice’ and published it as “Fiver & Company”.

The genre of the story is “gothic tragedy”. Part Wuthering Heights, part Animal Farm, and part Watership Down. 

Title: Fiver & Company”.

I need two picks and a title. I am picking Jane Marple as my last hero, and Mrs Seeton as my last optional character . The title is going to be a train bound to nowhere  

Title: A Train Bound To Nowhere

Author: Walter Gibson

Character: the old man in the corner (The Case of Miss Eliott)

Character: Professor Van Dusen (The Thinking Machine)

Character: Nick Charles (The Thin Man)

Character: Father Brown (The Innocence of Father Brown)

Character: Lord Darcy

Character: Mr. Harley Quin (The Mysterious Mr. Quin)

Character:  Jane Marple

Option: The Orient Express (Murder on the Orient Express)

Option:Nora Charles (The Thin Man)

Option: Mrs. Seeton

Hmm, better fill out my list:

Character: Lili "Alice" (The Alice Network)

Character: Adela Quested (A Passage to India)

Option: President Earl Warren (Second Contact)

Option: The Midwich Cuckoos (The Midwich Cuckoos)

Story summary: The Martians invade in the thick of WWI. They colonize, rather than exterminate. This novel is set in the early 60s, and the Martians are leaving. The Narrator is interviewing people to generate an oral history of the occupation. This includes reports of the Martians psychically feasting on prisoners.

The Martians are leaving now, and it seems rather sudden. They claim to be satisfied we will be done with our 'inter-tribal warfare', but there is a rumor that their feeding eventually had a side effect: children with terrifying mental powers. The odd thing is that people who spread these rumors too openly, suddenly recant or claim no memory of having said anything.

Mankind is free now, or is it?