Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Those are the voices of non-comic book readers who have drunk deeply from the DCEU Kool-Aid and think superheroes should be done in a dark, gritty, "realistic" manner. They are drowning out, at least on social media, all the jubilant voices of real comic-book fans who like bright superhero costumes but take issue with all the other design problems of that Shazam costume.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I love the Avengers theme, its the one movie they really got it right.  Its up there with Star Wars and Indiana Jones, but they never push it enough.  The second film hardly even used it.  You gotta celebrate your theme music, its like James Bond's theme.

Never will like Marvel acting like code names are something to be embarrased by and avoid as much as possible.

Quite right about the theme song, it's instantly recognizable, and majestic.  I love it as well.

As far as code-names go...I like the fact that they are familiar with each other.  When you know somebody personally you drop whatever title they carry and call them by their actual name.  It humanizes them.

4 hours ago, zslane said:

Those are the voices of non-comic book readers who have drunk deeply from the DCEU Kool-Aid and think superheroes should be done in a dark, gritty, "realistic" manner. They are drowning out, at least on social media, all the jubilant voices of real comic-book fans who like bright superhero costumes but take issue with all the other design problems of that Shazam costume.

So, here's the thing. Folks that buy and read comic books are not where Marvel (or DC) movies make their money*. In order to be successful, the movies need to be marketed to a much wider audience, one that usually doesn't know all of the nerdy nuances of the characters and their costumes. Most folks see a trailer or a picture, and either think, "that looks interesting", or they think, "maybe I'll go see that other movie". They don't worry that the cape doesn't match the Alex Ross** version, or that the buttons have little lions on them, or even that the suit's too bright. It's all about entertainment, plain and simple.

*So, retailers ordered almost $37 million of comics in February, for a total of about 6.3 million copies for all titles. Black Panther's 4th weekend gross was over $40 million, and total North American grosses were over half a billion dollars at that point.

**Most folks don't have any idea who Alex Ross is.

12 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

So, here's the thing. Folks that buy and read comic books are not where Marvel (or DC) movies make their money*. In order to be successful, the movies need to be marketed to a much wider audience, one that usually doesn't know all of the nerdy nuances of the characters and their costumes. Most folks see a trailer or a picture, and either think, "that looks interesting", or they think, "maybe I'll go see that other movie". They don't worry that the cape doesn't match the Alex Ross** version, or that the buttons have little lions on them, or even that the suit's too bright. It's all about entertainment, plain and simple.

Sure, but I am one of Marvel's audience members. I get to have an opinion too. I am well aware that my opinion isn't shared by millions of others who never used to care about superheroes before, but while Marvel surely likes them for the money they can extract from them, I don't buy into the idea that one has to pander to their ignorance in order to make a movie they will enjoy.

Well and there's also this: what made a character popular in one media should be at least seriously considered before dropping when moving to another media.  The only reason it should ever change is if the new media doesn't carry it across well.  Film does some things better than print, and vice versa.  So you change things for film that it doesn't do well compared to print, not to match your "vision."

I'll never understand someone loving a book property, loving the characters, and loving the story then changing everything and ruining it when it comes to film.  Why did you even make the movie to begin with??  Comic books are essentially storyboarded films, so their transfer to the screen is extremely direct.  Changing things in this context should be for very good reason.

4 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Comic books are essentially storyboarded films, so their transfer to the screen is extremely direct.  Changing things in this context should be for very good reason.

If and only if you are doing a direct translation. Nothing Marvel has done yet has been. Closest movie to be that was Watchmen.

If and only if you are doing a direct translation. Nothing Marvel has done yet has been. Closest movie to be that was Watchmen.

Yeah and that puzzles me, because they have stories right there ready to use and put right on the screen.  But in any case, you've still got the characters, settings, costumes, etc all right there visually laid out and designed for you, so only a fool strays too far from that.  I mean, why even make an adaptation if you're just going to junk stuff in it for no good reason?  I like this Superman guy but the cape and his hair have to go.  And flying?  Give me a break...

I actually didn't mind so much Smallville being no costumes or flight, the first seasons.  It was just about him growing up and learning who he was, dealing with that.  Even in the comics he couldn't fight, not right at first.  And he got the costume when he became Superman, so I could live with him just wearing flannel and jeans.  I wasn't fond of where the show went eventually though with baby justice league and all that.  And I never really liked the Superboy concept; it sold a lot of comics, but it didn't make sense with his background.  Nobody knew Superman when he first showed up, so there couldn't have been little superman flying around doing stuff for years even in the 1930s; people would have heard of it.

5 hours ago, zslane said:

Sure, but I am one of Marvel's audience members. I get to have an opinion too. I am well aware that my opinion isn't shared by millions of others who never used to care about superheroes before, but while Marvel surely likes them for the money they can extract from them, I don't buy into the idea that one has to pander to their ignorance in order to make a movie they will enjoy.

Sure, you get to have an opinion. It's just that it sounds an awful lot like the trufen* arguments that I heard for SF fandom, and I rapidly tired of them 30 years ago.

*In SF Fandom, trufen were identified by their love of fanzines and conventions. As the argument went, if you don't do the fanzines and the rituals around them, then you are no real SF fan.** This was primarily directed at folks who consumed their SF and fantasy through movies and TV shows (mediafen), comic book fans, and (later) against gamers like us.

**Which is total bunk, of course. But now you know why your phrasing in the original post that I replied to bothered me so.