Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

I fully expect a significant drawdown in movie budgets in the very near future.  First of all you have movies like Indiana Jones and the Wheel of Time that cost 1/3 of a billion dollars--there aren't enough moviegoers in the universe to make that much money back.  Second, the streaming services have achieved saturation so they'll go straight into cost cutting/ens***tification mode.  Third, you have movies like Godzilla Minus One proving you can make an effects-laden film for 1/5 of the cost using, like, brains. 

You *could* get that many moviegoers...but that requires repeat viewings.  People willing to see the film 2, 3, 5, 10 times.  That's much harder when the ticket's $10 each time...and when you have to carve out a 3 hour chunk of time, rather than 2 hours or so.

And the model now where there's SUCH a strong push to move it to the affiliated streaming service that it can't remain in theaters even if there's still decent box office sales after the 3rd weekend.  I'm not at all sure that anyone *but* Disney comes close to having a sufficient package to make this work, tho.  There aren't that many franchises that can prop up a streaming service that much, on its own.  Disney has 2 that can do a pretty good job...Marvel and Star Wars...and their own library gives 3 pretty good legs on which they can stand.  And even they're making lots of cuts.

I largely agree with the point that Hollywood overuses their "stars"...I disagree to a point that it won't sell a film on its own.  Short term...it definitely can.  If the rest is crummy, tho, it'll fade very quickly.  And using no-names?  

Hayden Christiansen.  Nuff said.

11 minutes ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

In Japan, members of the cast of Minus One are recognizable stars. Just wanted to clarify that.

I figured that, and that's fair. But that still isn't the same as actors with international recognition and draw. And none of them command ridiculously huge salaries, or else G-1's budget would have been 'way higher.

A big portion of Hollywood's investment in movies now goes to "name" actors' bloated salaries.

According to the team that made Godzilla One the main bloat is in middle men.  They pointed out that if the director wanted something done, he went to the person who does that stuff and said "we need this."  In Hollywood there's like five steps to get there, with production assistants, diversity consultants, Union delegates, etc between the Director and, say, the set designer or location scout.  Godzilla One cut all that out and saved literally millions.  Between all the bloat and the craft services, etc it gets ridiculously expensive for no good reason.

Look at how many producers a Marvel movie has.  Why? Because every single person who can wants a finger in that pie so they can get a cut of the profits and point to it on their resume "I was executive assistant sub-producer on Cape Smashers III." Bloat, again.  Some actors have gargantuan salaries (last year Adam Sandler was getting over 90,000,000 a movie, for crying out loud) but that's not all of the problem.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Hayden Christiansen.  Nuff said.

In my opinion Christensen was done dirty by Lucas.  Even Portman and MacGregor did poorly in that trilogy; Christensen didn't stand a chance.  I mean look at the script he was given.  "I hate sand."  DiCaprio couldn't have pulled that off.

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

In my opinion Christensen was done dirty by Lucas.  Even Portman and MacGregor did poorly in that trilogy; Christensen didn't stand a chance.  I mean look at the script he was given.  "I hate sand."  DiCaprio couldn't have pulled that off.

Plausible, but can we blame the script for his constant pouting?  

That said, I think ALL the Star Wars movies get far less criticism than they deserve, because we so WANT to like it that we overlook the many faults.  Who doesn't want a lightsaber and a starfighter???  Who doesn't want to be super-cool Han?  Vader's WAY more cool as the Mysterious Villain than he is as the Fallen Savior.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Plausible, but can we blame the script for his constant pouting?  

That said, I think ALL the Star Wars movies get far less criticism than they deserve, because we so WANT to like it that we overlook the many faults.  Who doesn't want a lightsaber and a starfighter???  Who doesn't want to be super-cool Han?  Vader's WAY more cool as the Mysterious Villain than he is as the Fallen Savior.

We can blame the director for the constant pouting.

Having seen Natalie Portman in other roles, its clearly Lucas' direction and writing that made her awful in the prequels.  There are plenty of videos with the cast of Star Wars complaining about Lucas' writing (nobody talks that way).  Ewan McGregor did a great job despite the restrictions but he's the only one that came across well.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

You're right, of course.  AFAIC the only actually good films are IV, VI, and maybe III.  Opinions vary, but suffice to say that my kids have no idea what the fuss is about when it comes to Star Wars.