Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting bit of Champions trivia: when Dean Shomshak created his clan of Satanist black magicians, the Silvestris (reprinted in several editions of Champions), he gave the family German and Scottish collateral branches, named Liefeld and McFarlane, respectively. Dean has stated that wasn't a coincidence. :eg:

19 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Golden is one of my all time favorite artists at Marvel, sadly he didn't get nearly enough work.

Yeah, he has a relatively slim bibliography, compared to some in that generation. I wonder if he was "slow" in terms of keeping up with a monthly book? He has tended to be a cover artist more often than not, over the years.

He's also not big into going to Conventions, which makes me like him even more, except that I'd really like to have him sign my Micronauts and let me fan-boy over him a little bit.  :love:

On 3/26/2018 at 8:56 PM, Pattern Ghost said:

:sick:

Agreed. I love Lee Pace, but that role was the ONE time I've seen him stink up the screen.

11 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Odd build on her sash.  Its not a sash its a leather belt with a pointless hanky tied to it?

Not pointless; judging by that blazing fist in the image above it's a really good thing Carol wears her red hanky on the right.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, RDU Neil said:

This is why I've been enjoying the movies more than the comics. The characters are allowed to grow and change and time passes. I absolutely HATE the eternal youth of and reinvention of the characters in the comics. I want Spider-Man to be pushing 70. I want Capt. America to be defined as a man who is out of time, and ages slowly, and watches his friends and allies continue to pass along the way. I want to watch Wanda age, while the Vision doesn't, and read the inevitable funeral issue. Stark and Barton and Romanov should all be old and/or dead by now. Legacy heroes would mean something, with the old ones passing. Thor becomes a tragic figure, as he is the one who will outlive all the rest, etc.

We will soon see how MCU addresses this issue - with Chris Evans leaving the Cap role, will they:

- give the suit and shield to a legacy character, like Bucky or Sam?

- retire the suit and shield, bringing in new characters (and eventually retiring the entire current comic book universe n favour of new characters)?

- hire a new actor to play the same Cap (a la James Bond)?

6 minutes ago, Hugh Neilson said:

We will soon see how MCU addresses this issue - with Chris Evans leaving the Cap role, will they:

- retire the suit and shield, bringing in new characters (and eventually retiring the entire current comic book universe n favour of new characters)?

Yep. If they go with #3... then I will likely be done with the Marvel movies. They need to continue their "world" effectively... and when needed... end the entire MCU. Then if they want to create another for the next generation of movie goers, have at them. IMO, I believe Feige thinks this way. He'll bring "his" MCU to a close... then Disney can trash the brand going forward if they want, but it will have been done right at least once. i.e. your #2 above.

That's my hope, anyway. 

My money is on 1, but 3 would work.  Its hardly the first time anyone has changed an actor playing a character.  As long as they can handle the part well, people will shrug after the firsts scene.  2 is the worst choice, given their inability to make new characters and make them interesting very often.  There's something vastly iconic about those original Marvel characters, not to mention being part of American culture for half a century.  You can't just throw that out for Shield Boy or Captain Maple Leaf.

21 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Yep. If they go with #3... then I will likely be done with the Marvel movies. They need to continue their "world" effectively... and when needed... end the entire MCU. Then if they want to create another for the next generation of movie goers, have at them. IMO, I believe Feige thinks this way. He'll bring "his" MCU to a close... then Disney can trash the brand going forward if they want, but it will have been done right at least once. i.e. your #2 above.

That's my hope, anyway. 

You mean like, after Ed Norton played Bruce Banner in The Incredible Hulk, they retired the character rather than hire a new actor to play him going forward?

13 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

My money is on 1, but 3 would work.  Its hardly the first time anyone has changed an actor playing a character.  As long as they can handle the part well, people will shrug after the firsts scene.  2 is the worst choice, given their inability to make new characters and make them interesting very often.  There's something vastly iconic about those original Marvel characters, not to mention being part of American culture for half a century.  You can't just throw that out for Shield Boy or Captain Maple Leaf.

I don't disagree, but the statements above that the comics are bad because they just keep the icons going forever suggest it should be just as bad in the movies.

I don't see them deciding that Character X should never appear again because the actor is not playing him any more, for reasons including those you cite.  It's about the dollars - if people said "A Han Solo movie with Han and Lando not played by Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams?  No way I will go see that!", then they moviemakers would not recast the roles.  But we saw how recasting Shatner, Nimoy and Kelly worked out (to pick only one example) - the theatres weren't exactly empty.

Seen any smash hit Superhero movies (with at least one or two sequels earning more $$) whose comics haven't been around for a decade or three?