Fantasy & Champions Complete

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jdounis

jdounis

Skilled Normal

• 69 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

Hello, i am playing HERO from 5th edition revised, i am trying to introduce HERO 6th edition to as many RPG players as i can and recently bought Champions and Fantasy complete for 2 of them, they really like the books but my personal opinion is that is very difficult to play/ understand the book without having the 6E1 and 6E2 books nearby.Things like computing damage classes for advantaged power(and why you do so), or adding damage or even minimum damage are so minimally worded and without examples in the complete books that if these are your first and only HERO 6th edition you have to resort to the forums to clarify them or have an INT score of 20+ to work them out on your own(DC,adding damage,missing DC table).its a pity for such a wonderful and loved system as HERO.I hope there will be an errata on them soon.

P.S. otherwise from minimun wording i like the books too and congratulate every HERO product available and the effort of the writers.

• bluesguy and Brian Stanfield like this

#2 Brian Stanfield

Brian Stanfield

Low-Powered Superhero

• 323 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:32 PM

I'm making the transition too, except from the BBB, so I have a lot of catching up to do! Any advice would be helpful.

#3 Cantriped

Cantriped

Heroic Magicat

• 1,426 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:19 AM

I skipped straight from playing 5th edition, to running 6th edition using Champion/Fantasy Hero Complete. Honestly I never felt like I was missing all that much by using CC/FHC exclusively over the 6th edition core rulebooks. Although minimally worded, I feel like all of the rules are there, clearly and concisely defined. You just have to read each paragraph with a careful eye because of how condensed CC/FHC are; If you blink, you are likely to miss something.

#4 zslane

zslane

The Monster From the Clock

• 2,468 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:34 AM

I feel there's got to be a happy medium between the minimalist approach of the Complete books and the material bloat of 6e1/6e2. The 4e HSR hit that happy medium, IMO, but it didn't have quite as many advanced rules/mechanics as 6e, and could adequately describe itself in 260 pages. It would probably take around 400 pages to stuff all the cruft of "core" 6e into a single, well-presented volume, but that's better in my view than what we have now, which is either too little or too much.

#5 dsatow

dsatow

Bionic Occult Mutant Alien Samurai Hero

• 906 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:58 PM

My suggestion would be, buy the CC book and get the PDFs for 6E1&2.  They are much more usable as a searchable document than as an extra 5 pounds of books in your backpack.

• Nolgroth likes this

#6 Ninja-Bear

Ninja-Bear

Millennial Master

• 3,790 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 08:35 PM

Making the the transition from 5thr to CC. Yeah I hit a bump or two but like Cantteiped said, read carefully. I like the thinner volume. Could they have used perhaps a few more example? Maybe but isn't that the problem? People complain about 6th being too big with too much information then complain that's there not enough in the Completes. P.s. I also own the Basic for 6th and it's missing stuff intentionally-CC is a better deal.
The main object of the game is for the players and the GM to have fun. Champions 3rd ed. Pg 130