Stranger Things

Sociotard

Highly recommended!

I don't binge watch things, but every episode ended on a cliffhanger, and I just couldn't stop until I'd finished.

I especially liked that tabletop RPGs were very prominent.  While videogames and even CCGs have been positively shown on TV, tabletop rpgs are usually played by people who either accidentally summon a demon or violently lose touch with reality.  (granted, those examples were LARPers.) Okay, I did roll my eyes when their setting book actually proved useful, but still it was a nice change of pace. Demogorgon indeed.

And wow, Winona Ryder was absolutely convincing as a mother on the edge of madness. All the actors did a good job, really. The little girl playing Eleven was perfect.

And the sets and wardrobes really sold the 80s. What was amusing was that the show was even more 80s pop culture aware than a TV show from the 80s would have been. When a mom wants to bond with her kid, she doesn't surprise him with tickets to the movies, she surprised him with tickets to Poltergeist.

I've only seen the first two episodes so far but I recommend it as well. I agree that it is like Steven Spielberg meets Steven King. Much like Super 8, this series feels like a love letter to Spielberg's early films, with a dallop of King's menace and suspense.

It does capture the early 80s quite well, though that is sort of painful for me in a way. I was only a few years older than those kids back in 1983, and so I know that period well. Looking back, I don't hold much nostalgic fondness for the 80s. But I do have great nostalgic fondness for Spielberg's films of that era, so I can look past the horrible hair and what passed for music back then and enjoy the wonderful Spielberg pastiche that it is.

PS:  A fireball against Demogorgon???

Yeah that was puzzling. The boys all seemed to know who/what Demogorgon was (not just Mike, the DM). I would have thought they'd know how futile a fireball would be. But the whole scene was darn charming just the same.

Finished.  Yes, I definitely recommend.  It was a nice little ET meets Poltergeist meets X-Files meets Wonder Years meets X-Men meets Aliens mash-up.

PS:  Dustin was my favorite character.

PSPS: 

It took 7 episodes for Mike's mom to enter her own basement???

Stranger Things is like watching a Stephen King novel being played out on the screen. Pacing, characterization, setting, etc are so reminiscent of King's best works.

I was so convinced that King was involved, that I looked it up. Turns out a fan of Stephen King is behind the project. I don't have the link (cell phone) handy, but what a great homage.

Sadly, the finale was really a let down.

Are you really telling me that a bear trap, a gasoline fire and a spiked baseball bat can hurt the creature but several men firing sustained bursts from full auto weapons couldn't? I know that the whole setup was for 011 to save the day with mystical powers, but it stretched my suspension of disbelief a touch too far. It was lazy storytelling.

The good news are all the MacGuffins that were laid for a potential second season. 

Sadly, the finale was really a let down.

Are you really telling me that a bear trap, a gasoline fire and a spiked baseball bat can hurt the creature but several men firing sustained bursts from full auto weapons couldn't? I know that the whole setup was for 011 to save the day with mystical powers, but it stretched my suspension of disbelief a touch too far. It was lazy storytelling.

The good news are all the MacGuffins that were laid for a potential second season. 

In a story as unrealistic as children being the heroes, yes.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

t9lbb_smtDNmBhoP3AVVJaIgBkL5rb40BlCRznpN

https://www.reddit.com/r/StrangerThings/comments/4x8fip/where_the_upside_ends/

STRANGERthings_VHSsteelberg-977x1200.jpg

(It would honestly be kinda funny if they made just a few Stranger Things VHS tapes to auction off)

Oh, and the DOE put out a 'fact check' of the show.

http://energy.gov/articles/what-stranger-things-didn-t-get-quite-so-right-about-energy-department

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished binging it - excellent show and can't wait for Season 2!

Re guns being worthless, well yeah it's kindof a genre thing. Bugs me too but it's hardly unique to this show.

Honestly the only thing that really twigged my suspension of disbelief? The fact that the "townies" were so ignorant of the Lab and its employees. This comes from my having grown up outside a DOE lab (Los Alamos). Where do you think all the lab personnel live? In the community. Half the town would be working at the lab, and everyone else would know someone who worked there. Need to know what's going on at the lab? Lemme go talk to my sister who's on the cleaning staff or my cousin who's a computer tech there. The Lab Director would be a local celebrity - not necessarily liked, but certainly known. The Sheriff would have the Lab security force on speed dial and vice-versa; I'm not saying they'd always get along or cooperate well, but they'd damn sure know one another. So it was jarring to me that folks in town barely seemed aware of the existence of what would certainly be one of the major employers in the area.

But that's just me and my baggage. :D

I kind of assumed that most of the rank and file employees were unaware of the secret experiments going on in the secret labs on the secret floors of that facility. Knowledge of the psychic dimension penetration experiments was likely limited to only a handful of scientists, lab technicians, and security personel.

It's a general problem in the conspiracy theory genre. How on earth could the thousands involved in the Apollo 'fake' keep such a secret a secret?

In a similar vein, I kept wondering about the dudes 11 kept killing.  They lived in the community.  They had families and friends. How did the lab cover those up? Whole lotta car crashes?