Happy Birthday, James Earl Jones!

Steve

That severely limits his powers. He should not be limited to Vader (a part he supposedly loathed to the point that he convinced George Lucas to remove his name from the credits of the first two films (eventually it was replced in later releases of the films).

There are scores of films he was in that awe so inspired (Field of Dreams comes to mind as a writer whose spirit is rekindled by the baseball diamond in the middle of a cornfield). He also a prolific stage actor 

I can sat "Thank God this isn't an obituary".

I enjoyed him as Judge Moore, the C.I.A. chief in the Jack Ryan movies. His voice brings Gravitas to anything he does. He is also a talented comedian when he plays off the usual expectations when he plays himself on sitcoms like Will & Grace and Big Bang Theory. 
  May the Force stay strong with him for many years to come.

On 1/18/2021 at 6:47 PM, Michael Hopcroft said:

That severely limits his powers. He should not be limited to Vader (a part he supposedly loathed to the point that he convinced George Lucas to remove his name from the credits of the first two films (eventually it was replced in later releases of the films).

Nonononono.

From the Wikipedia entry--

In 1977, Jones made his debut in his iconic voiceover role as Darth Vader in the science fiction blockbuster film Star Wars: A New Hope, which he would later reprise for the sequels The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi (1983). Darth Vader was portrayed in costume by David Prowse in the film trilogy, with Jones dubbing Vader's dialogue in postproduction because Prowse's strong West Country accent was deemed unsuitable for the role by director George Lucas.  At his own request, Jones was uncredited for the release of the first two Star Wars films,[28] though he would be credited for the third film and eventually also for the first film's 1997 "Special Edition" re-release. As he explained in a 2008 interview:

"When Linda Blair did the girl in The Exorcist, they hired Mercedes McCambridge to do the voice of the devil coming out of her. And there was controversy as to whether Mercedes should get credit. I was one who thought no, she was just special effects. So when it came to Darth Vader, I said, no, I'm just special effects. But it became so identified that by the third one, I thought, OK I'll let them put my name on it."

If he hated the role, why return to it at the end of Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith?  And again for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story?  Granted, his involvement may have been not much more than a morning's worth of studio sessions and a really nice lunch, but why even bother with that if he hated it?

I agree that James Earl Jones has a long, full career that goes well beyond being the voice of Darth Vader.  May he have continued success in the years to come.  And may his birthday have included lots of good times, good friends and cake.  Especially cake.