2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Looks like the internet has decided the Washington Football Team's new name is the Washington Commies.

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

A red menace

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

I love the internet.

washington-communists-1024x538.jpg

FKkXz7qXsAE0Hmy?format=jpg&name=large

Commies-Ad.png

FKmTcDZVkAITvLb?format=jpg&name=small

I'm not really seeing the humor in this.  But if the Cincinnati Reds' name could survive the anti-Communist hysteria of the Fifties, I'm sure that this, too shall pass.

On 2/2/2022 at 2:54 PM, wcw43921 said:

I'm not really seeing the humor in this.  But if the Cincinnati Reds' name could survive the anti-Communist hysteria of the Fifties, I'm sure that this, too shall pass.

It almost didn't -- they were rechristened the Redlegs for a few seasons, until the end of McCarthyism enabled them to return to their traditional name.

Changing the team name was not uncommon in the early years of Major League Baseball. Nobody now alive remembers the New York Highlanders, now better known as the Yankees, and even fewer know that they had originally been the original Baltimore Orioles, who sold off all their best players in a false-flag operation to sink the American Leaguer in its infancy.  The hatred of the new league was so intense in NL circles that there was no 1904 World Series because the NL champions refused to play their counterpart from what they considered a "minor league".

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

So, the Jags finally have a coach. They first interviewed him 45 days ago, but first they wanted to destroy what reputation Khan and Baalke had. 

Go Jags! 

The obvious joke is moot because there are no other top-flight teams in Jacksonville.

'News' of the day from the NFL (or at least from a social media source using something that looks a little like their logo):

"For the second consecutive year, a team will be playing the Super Bowl in its home stadium, raising concerns of that team having an unfair advantage. To ensure that this never happens again, the league decided last night that all future Super Bowls would be held at AT&T Stadium, the home of the Dallas Cowboys."