2021-2022 NFL Thread

Starlord

Eagles get an experienced backup; Jaguars get a 6th (or maybe 5th) for a guy they picked up in the 6th round 2 years ago. Looks like a pretty good deal for both sides.

This probably makes Joe Flacco the third stringer for Philadelphia, though. Unless the Eagles decide to trade him, too.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

In other news, the Colts just lost another QB to injury....

Let me just say...

WITHOUT Googling the story...who can name the kid?

If you have the name, then where did he go to school, and/or how many years has he been in the league?

Me, I'd be 0 for 3.  But I did find all my answers...and...yeah.  NOT a surprise on any account.

One of these days, some uber-genius will figure out how to make the position playable for something more than *maybe* 2 dozen players, and I'll concede I'm probably being very optimistic.

Lots and lots and lots of cuts, then the cycle of recycling and more cuts.  They've got a total off-week while college football rolls into full swing.

4 hours ago, Cancer said:

I fully agree with the "unstressful" part.  From decades of being a Seattle Mariners fan, I can say that I got a lot of looks that indicated the person was thinking, "Obviously deranged but not clearly dangerous."

Well, if that's true.....

How do we explain Pariah?

I grew up a Broncos fan. I watched the team lose four Super Bowls, each in more embarrassing fashion than the last, before finally winning one. No matter how poorly the team performs in any given game/season/five-year stretch, I can always say to myself, "Well, it's still better than their Super Bowl performance against the Forty-Niners."

55 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

Patriots release Cam Newton! 😮 

Rookie Mac Jones to start. 

Wow.  

Schefter and Greenberg are speculating that this is doing Cam a favor.  Mac Jones won the job *hands down*...it wasn't close.  The team's sold on him.  So what do you do with Cam?  Schefter pointed out, he'd be going from former MVP to backup...awkward.  This does give Cam a chance to sign on with anyone.  From the Pats' perspective, *any* thought of a QB controversy gets its heart cut out and mouth filled with garlic.

And Booger pointed out that, hey, the Pats had Cam for a full season.  And still drafted Jones...pretty high.  So they clearly weren't sold on Cam.  He also argued Cam was a bad fit philosophically.

Interesting to see who signs Cam.  I expect someone will;  I also expect there won't be that many teams looking too seriously.

The Calgary Stampeders are currently 1-3; they could probably use some help at quarterback. 

Seriously, though, what a remarkable fall from grace this has been. He was MVP only six seasons ago; now the Patriots (who have moved on from Tom Brady) don't even consider him worth keeping as a backup. Ouch.

The crazy thing is that in retrospect, you can almost pinpoint the exact moment when it all began to go wrong. That moment is Von Miller's second strip-sack in Super Bowl 50, the one where Newton looked for a moment like he was going to jump in to try to get the ball, but changed his mind and backed away instead. He really hasn't been the same player since then. 

But you can also argue that stars aligned for Cam in 2015.  Look at both 2014 (5-8-1) and 2016 (6-8).  Cam's never been consistent...12 wins, then 5, then 15, then 6, then 11, then 6.  Granted that's a WHOLE lot better than many QBs, but it's still really troubling.  And the Pats recognized it...$4M for a vet QB is nothing.

FOXBORO (CBS) – Patriots head coach Bill Belichick famously said “dependability is more important than ability.” So did that come into play when it came to the decision to go with Mac Jones over a seemingly unvaccinated Cam Newton at quarterback?

Newton was forced to be away from the team for five days due to what the team called a misunderstanding of league’s COVID protocols. The quarterback had traveled to a team-approved medical appointment and tested negative each day he was gone, but did not satisfy the NFL’s policy.

As a result, he missed three practices, including a critical joint session against the New York Giants. In that practice, Mac Jones thrived while taking all of the first team reps.

9 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

The NFL testing rule are quirky from what I've read in Boston news. 

Yes, you're required to get tested daily. But you're required to get tested before you leave. Getting tested after you arrive at your destination isn't sufficient. And that's where Cam got caught up in the misunderstanding.

There are plenty of teams which already have quarterback issues (such as Denver) and could use some depth.

And now that Cam is out of a job, he might be more motivated to get vaccinated to satisfy prospective employers....

Speaking of which, the NFLPA is investigating rookie Jacksonville head coach Urban Meyer over reports that vaccination status was part of his decision-making process in deciding which players to keep and which to cut.

I don't have a problem with that personally, but if it's not in the CBA, that's problematic.

1 hour ago, archer said:

There are plenty of teams which already have quarterback issues (such as Denver) and could use some depth.

Honestly, I don't see the Broncos having a lot of interest in Cam Newton. I mean, they've already got two backup quarterbacks in Teddy Bridgewater and Drew Lock. Why would they want a third?

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Honestly, I don't see the Broncos having a lot of interest in Cam Newton. I mean, they've already got two backup quarterbacks in Teddy Bridgewater and Drew Lock. Why would they want a third?

The Saints have four QBs on their roster, maybe three isn't a bad idea? 

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Speaking of which, the NFLPA is investigating rookie Jacksonville head coach Urban Meyer over reports that vaccination status was part of his decision-making process in deciding which players to keep and which to cut.

I don't have a problem with that personally, but if it's not in the CBA, that's problematic.

I hope this doesn't become an issue. I don't have a problem with it being a factor. Frankly, I have little sympathy for players that aren't vaccinated at this point. Even if they're on my team. 

1 hour ago, archer said:

The lack of a capable offensive line? :D 

This is really the issue. The O-line did okay in the preseason, largely against 2s and 3s. How they perform against NFL starters, even if it is the Giants, will be telling.

18 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

The Saints have four QBs on their roster, maybe three isn't a bad idea? 

The Saints have three quarterbacks and Taysom Hill on their roster. Quibble, quibble. 

On 9/1/2021 at 8:16 AM, archer said:

They could always do a Tebow and turn the worst one of the lot into a tight end....

Hard to do when the player in question is a Heisman winner and a first-round pick. Not to say that he wouldn't have been a successful tight end, but when He Who Must Not Be Named spent the #25 pick on him, it pretty much solidified Tebow's own opinion that he was a legitimate NFL quarterback. 

In other news, Broncos LB Bradley Chubb got himself arrested this week.

Broncos' Bradley Chubb arrested on failure-to-appear warrant for traffic infractions, per report

Stupid, stupid reason to get arrested. Should still be good to play in the opener, though, so that's good.