Building a Better Hero Block

Sketchpad

I often export as plain text, then manually edit, particularly on points like active or real points, and advantages/limitations can at least be abbreviated.  I use lists quite a bit too, in part because a list can incorporate a common modifier.  I'll clean up indentation stuff.  Or if it's a compound power, I'll do the same, and if there is a common modifier, I'll note it up top.  Anything to clean things up.

Part of the problem is, what I want to see probably doesn't match what you want.  And sometimes I need to see things like real cost, but other times I don't.  (MP or VPP accomodating more than 1 power at a time, I need real cost.)  

If anyone has a basic design they want modified and can describe to me what it is they want I can take a crack at it. I've some tools that make it a bit easier to alter formatting and layout.

13 hours ago, Tywyll said:

This is the problem. You use HD to build a character because it is great and easy. But then you can't export a 'simplified' version. At least I have not seen an export format that does (sadly I have 0 idea on how to build my own). 

I thought Hero Designer allowed you to create customized templates and exports. Never used it myself but I was considering it recently.

2 hours ago, schir1964 said:

I thought Hero Designer allowed you to create customized templates and exports. Never used it myself but I was considering it recently.

Oh, it does.

But it assumes a level of proficiency to so so.

Not a knock on the program which is awesome.  But true non the less

12 hours ago, schir1964 said:

If anyone has a basic design they want modified and can describe to me what it is they want I can take a crack at it. I've some tools that make it a bit easier to alter formatting and layout.

It does, but it takes a level of xml knowledge which I lack. I mean, I love the program, but I have to rely on things other people build. I could probably figure it out given enough study, but with job, wife, kid and a group that doesn't play HERO...it's not at the top of my to do list.

Well I've purchased Hero Designer and I'll be evaluating the XML. I'm a web developer so a portion of what I do deals with various XML formats.

My first impressions of Hero Designer is that the User Interface is a bit clunky to use but functional. Some of the graphics/icons used makes it look dated (at least to me). But that just nit picky stuff, my main concerns are functionality and customizable. As long as those are good then I'm good.

Addendum

Well it looks like the only built in templates are for HTML. Should be fairly straight forward to making changes and rearranging things. But I need to know what people are looking for. An example of what they expect it to look like. 

A manually created sample done Excel or Word or any other common document would do.

3 hours ago, schir1964 said:

Well it looks like the only built in templates are for HTML. Should be fairly straight forward to making changes and rearranging things. But I need to know what people are looking for. An example of what they expect it to look like. 

A manually created sample done Excel or Word or any other common document would do.

That would be fantastic for us "what you just said" challenged :nonp:

Now that Dragonflight is over and I am able to devote my small slice of time for gaming to something other than Con prep, I will try find and then clean up some of my earlier character sheets and share them.  Someone beside me may have a use for them and you may be able to adapt them to HD. 

3 hours ago, Spence said:

That would be fantastic for us "what you just said" challenged :nonp:

Now that Dragonflight is over and I am able to devote my small slice of time for gaming to something other than Con prep, I will try find and then clean up some of my earlier character sheets and share them.  Someone beside me may have a use for them and you may be able to adapt them to HD. 

I've started a thread over in the Hero Designer forum. If you just want to post to that thread when you ready that would be fine.

9 hours ago, schir1964 said:

Well I've purchased Hero Designer and I'll be evaluating the XML. I'm a web developer so a portion of what I do deals with various XML formats.

There are ways to import XML into InDesign. I've been working on learning that in my Free Time (hahahahaha). ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Strength

Constitution

Dexterity

Speed

Intelligence

Ego

Presence

PD

ED

End

Stun

Body

Rec

OCV

OMCV

DCV

DMCV

Makes more sense to me like that. Physical stuff (power and toughness then agility and quickness), mental and personality stuff, defences and reserves (which feels more like characteristics), combat values(which still don't).

I'd probably leave OMCV and DMCV off unless it was an actual thing in the campaign.

I'd also include rPD and rED in the stat block. That feels like a far more useful thing to include than mental combat characteristics, generally. Resistant defences are very frequently relevant.

I'd probably also try and sneak Comeliness back in too.

• 8 months later...
On 4/24/2021 at 9:17 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Check out this thread for some character sheet ideas, might be closer to what you have in mind?

On a simplified character sheet for introductory/convention play, is there any need to list Speed?  The characteristic is just a proxy to determine the segments on which your phases start; if you're also listing Phases, the SPD value is superfluous.

Doug

In the mood to resurrect a dead thread

The standard Characteristics block is a mess.

First, the Costs should be on the left, like they are for Powers, Equipment, Martial Arts, Talents, Skills, Perks, and Complications, I.e., everything else! And if you want to omit costs, chop off the left column from everything.

Second, the block is too tall; the Cost/Name/Val simply doesn't take up enough width. The space to the right is typically used to record additional notes, but there's still a lot of room. So list multiple characteristics per line!  This technique is already used in Champions Universe (pp. 54, 55, 60, 94, 160), for sidebar entries.

Third, what's the deal with Running, Leaping, and Swimming?  These unwanted step-children are surely characteristics as much as OMCV or Endurance, but end up purchased under the Powers section. Shouldn't they be included with all the other Characteristics?

...but even I'm not 100% sold on the last point. It's just awkward as to where to list them:

• At one characteristic per line, you've made the second point even worse.
  • At three characteristics per line, you can add them all to the bottom, but each line is now dangerously wide...
  • At two characteristics per line, where do they logically go?  Split them across two lines, or add one value to the singleton SPD entry (e.g., a line for SPD/RUN, and one for LEAP/SWIM). 

Doug

Even more rambling to follow, but not tonight

On 11/1/2021 at 6:24 PM, schir1964 said:

There is na wonderful example(IMO) in the Fantasy HERO threads.