World Creation Superdraft 5: May 2021

2 minutes ago, death tribble said:

You CANNOT pick Trickery.

The others you could pick BUT to allow greater flexibility and allow other people the chance to see what they can do with them, I rather you did not Invention, War or Magic. 

Ah!

"Yes, I remember, I had lasagna"

2 hours ago, Hermit said:

For those interested in grabbing these this time.

Trickery was fun. While I did think a certain god of evil was too mean to him, Fox was a lovable trickster (I Hope) who seemed to entertain people and certainly forced me to get creative.  It can be tricky to find the balance between rattling the cage and breaking it.  I'd rate my enjoyment making him as a 9 out of 10

I got a good giggle out of your use of my house elves to make your sentient race.

I will say that playing gods of not-nice things like Madness or Secrets was more fun. Elves was fun, yes, mostly by way of thinking of how to work another species of elf into each category. Even so, that can't compare to the time the god of Madness took away Literacy. (except for the dwarfs in their tinfoil hats) 

The world was not yet formed, it was shapeless and full of potential...
How utterly terrifying. How incredibly uncertain it all was. There was doubt, there was the unknown, there was the anxieties and trepidations that came with it.  If the Universe to be was aware at all, it had to sense this and the dread that came with it. Was it any surprise there was Fear? 

Her name was Timra'Keth, and she was only going to get stronger

Primary Domain: Fear!

nightmare-susan-solak.jpg

Well, drat. I may have been sniped, since the god I planned was the god of what is most worth fearing:

He is the god to whom no one prays.

Illworker, mortals call him, and Eternal Bane.

Why We Cannot Have Nice Things.

The God Against Whom Gods Strive in Vain.

He that Destroyeth All and Is Unconquered.

The Wise fear him, but say most folk do not fear him enough.

Old priests whisper to novices, with gestures to ward off evil, that his fellow gods address him thus:

Idiot!

Moron!

Imbecile!

You Stupid Git, What Were You Thinking!?

For the name of this god is

FOLLY

He is not the God of Evil, but he is the cause of evil. My entry this year is the God of Stupidity.

Dean Shomshak

I may have to rethink this.

41 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

Well, drat. I may have been sniped, since the god I planned was the god of what is most worth fearing:

For what  it's worth, I think Timra'Keth would agree and approve of folks fearing Folly as well. 

Some jaded folk who think they are clever assert that the First Word was "Oops!" and that Folly created the World. This is not true. I wish to nail down that Folly is not the Creator, and has no role in defining the overall shape of the World. Unless of course someone uses their Interference to force such a role upon him.

Dean Shomshak

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

For what  it's worth, I think Timra'Keth would agree and approve of folks fearing Folly as well. 

It will be the only thing about Folly of which she will approve.

I think I can make this work, though it means going kind of meta. All will be made clear once Folly has more fellow gods, and I can show specifically how Folly creates so much of the world's evil.

Dean Shomshak

"Timra'Keth, take my fear as offering to thee, I lay it upon thy altar. Timra'Keth, take my fear as offering to thee, I lay it upon thy alter." The child's prayer was the barest of whispers and all that was dared in that dark.

His brother peeked around the corner. "They might not even come in. The peddler said holy places were safe, even from raiders."

The first looked around. The temple was ancient and forgotten by all but the vines consuming it. How often had they passed it without knowing until they'd had to flee the ones burning the village? "If they even recognize it as a temple. What kind of temple just has racks of sticks?"

Was that torchlight? No, not yet. "The Tallywhacker, obviously."

"The guy that gets after mom to pay taxes?"

"What are you, drinking Folly's Communion? The Tallywhacker, god of debts and obligations. 

Lore forgets the sneaky,

Mem'ry loses him what ran

But none escape the nick

Of the Tallywhacker Man."

"We hear you little babes. Come out to play!" Trickster's balls, why had he opened his mouth?

"That wasn't a suggestion little babes. Come now, full run, or wait for Vaiyarran's own kiss!" The torchlight on the ceiling went dim for a moment, then flared brighter than ever. He must've set the nick-sticks!

Should he risk looking for another exit? Give up and hope they weren't cannibals?

He didn't have time to wonder. The yellow light of fire went out again, replaced with a brighter flare of blue. A terrible roar answered with a scream that faded to a choke. Then a sort of ripping and splashing.

The two boys held each other in the silence. The blue light fell more harshly on them, and the younger dared look up to see a man clothed in formless radiance. The Tallywhacker held the arm of a raider. He stripped the flesh until the bones of the forearm were bared. He cut a series of notches along each, marked them with some divine script, then split them lengthwise through the notches.

"For services rendered," the voice was a rumble more felt in the gut than heard with the ear, "your foils." The boys received their split bones, and the god vanished.

None escape the nick of the Tallywhacker Man.

Tallywhacker, god of Debts and Obligations

edm-id79-image2.png

Oddly, this god is worshiped both by creditors who need their debts repaid and by debtors trying to find a way to pay their debts.