Fun new ideas

1 hour ago, Christougher said:

Increases over Time: This (-1/2) Limitation makes a Constant power start slowly and build up to its full effect.  The power starts at 10 AP/2d6 and increases by the same amount per Segment.  For a Constant Area of Effect attack, this Limitation can be applied so that the AOE increases by 2m per segment.  Both versions may apply to the same power.

Decreases over Time: This (-1/4) Limitation makes a Constant power slowly lose its effectiveness.  The power decreases by 10 AP/2d6 per Segment.  For a Constant Area of Effect attack, this Limitation can be applied so that the AOE decreases by 2m per Segment.  Both versions may apply to the same power.

Chris.

Interesting. Shouldn't Increases over Time be per phase though, since it only hits on initial entry/target and the attacker's phases.

It hasn't actually been playtested; my child suggested the idea and I got caught up in writing it.  My thought was that the per-segment actually gave it a chance to build up/down during the character's off phases so they feel the difference on their Phase.  Especially given the Constant AOE still applying during the off segments.  Perhaps adjust it by a 1/4 if it is too much change. 

But that's why this thread is ideas, not official rules. ;) 

Chris.

Option Power: Adaptive Defense

VPP 10 Points, Cosmic 

Base control cost 15

Only for defensive powers -0.5

No Conscious Control -0  => Normally this limitation is worth something however in this context I don't give it any value.

Real Cost: 20

When the character takes damage or is affected by an attack their power pool is automatically allocated to provide it's full value to a defense against that type of attack.  Thus, a character with this type of defense would get a tremendous benefit if they are repeatedly attacked by (for example) mental attacks however the defense would be ineffective if they are hit by enemies with different types of attacks.  

If an attack features, for example, 6D6 energy blast with 6D6 flash then after the attack the pool would allocate 5 points to ED and 5 points to flash defense.  If the character is attacked this way again they have extra protection.  If the character is then hit by a pure energy blast they will have 5 extra points of ED.  After the attack has been resolved the pool would change to 10 ED with no flash defense.

If two characters successfully coordinate attacks which have the same special effect then the defense is only reallocated after the coordinated attack is resolved.

This type of defense allows relatively low powered characters with unusual attacks to have more impact on a fight with a master villain.

This might've been mentioned, but I just added it into my HD so it's on my mind.

Performance Skill.  Functionally identical to Professional Skill;  it's a subset, but I like calling them out separately myself.  Also, a new Skill Enhancer...Performer.  Analogous to Jack of all Trades.

No real mechanical differences, but they present better, IMO.

Here are a few ideas that I might have shared before.

Characteristics

Intelligence and Foresight Each full 5 points spent on INT gives 1d6 of Foresight. Foresight essentially works like Luck but is based on the special effect that the character has done previous planning and had foreseen how event could unfold. It has the benefit of making INT more interesting for other values than 13, 18 and so on.

Complications

Complications do not give character points but create story opportunities. During character creation select up to 6 Complications and select a Severity level, Moderate, Strong, Total. No need to select a frequency. Complications are generally classified into four broad categories (below). It is a good idea to pick complications in at least 3 of them.

• Physical (Dependence, Distinctive Features, Physical Complication)
  • Mental (Enraged/Berserk, Psychological Complication)
  • Social (DNPC, Hunted/Watched, Reputation, Rivalry, Social Complication)
  • Special (Accidental Change, Susceptibility, Unluck, Vulnerability)

Players and the GM can use Complications to generate HAP. By calling a complication on him, the player gets 1 additional HAP and accept the consequences laid out by the GM and/or other players (note that the GM could turn down the calling from the player). The GM can also call a complication on a player, with the same drawbacks and benefits stated above.  A player could turn down the calling from the GM by accepting a harsher consequence later in the story. The consequence must be related to the Complication.

By spending 1 HAP, the player can also use a Complication in a positive way if he can justify it thematically. A moderate Complication will give +1 to a roll or +1d6 to an effect or +5 to a PRE, EGO or Mental Resistance. Strong provides +3/+3d6/+15 and Total +5/+5d6/+25 respectively.

Alternatively, 5 levels could be use (Mild, Moderate, Strong, Very Strong, Total) with Mild providing +1/+1d6/+5, Moderate +2/+2d6/+10 and so on.

The ideas below aim at replacing funky builds that look and feel complex for no real benefits.

Movement

Movement powers are always bought based on the special effect desired. If a character is running, the Running power should be selected (not Flight or Teleport with advantages and limitation). Run of Vertical Surfaces and Run of Liquids are two new Adders for Running. A character can buy one for 3 CP or both for 5 CP this is roughly based on Clinging, must be running at high speed)

While interesting, Megascale lead to funky min-maxing builds so I am tempted to scrap it. To achieve high speed, use Non-Combat Movement is repriced at 2 CP for each x2.

Powers

A few new powers (always built from others).

Create Light 10 CP to Create a localized light. No Range. Use AoE and or Range to change size, shape and location of the source of light. 

Superspeed Tasks Each 20 CP moves the time required to perform a non-combat task by one level on the Time Chart. Each level also gives half a level of Rapid Sense (x3) for all sense groups. Note that using Rapid Sense only doesn’t cost endurance but by taking a full phase and paying 2 END per level of the power, A character can double his level of Rapid Sense for has long as he pays END for it. This power specifically replaces funky builds like Change Environment to clean areas.

Superspeed Combat 20 CP per level, up to 5 levels. Superspeed Combat uses Multiple Attacks as its foundation. Each level:

• Allows a character to make an additional attack at no penalty (effectively to ignore -2 OCV from Multiple-Attacks).  
  • Counteracts 2 DCV penalty imposed by the Multiple Attack maneuver. It can never raise DCV above the character’s base value
  • Gives Lightning Reflexes +5 
  • Levels 1, 2, 3 and 4 respectively include Defense Maneuver I, II, III and IV
  • Levels 5 includes Rapid Attack

Superspeed Combat 5 allows the use of a Multiple-Attacks as a half-phase for up to 6 separate attacks at no OCV penalty, counteracts up to -10 DCV penalty (highly likely the character will be at full DCV despite the ½ DCV of the maneuver), with +25 initiative and fully aware of their surroundings (Defense Maneuver IV). 

A few other powers recreated for simplicity's sake:

Boost 4 CP per 1d6. Constant Power

Gliding 1 CP per 2m of Gliding

Instant Change 3 CP to change into one set of clothes, 5 CP to change in any set of clothes.

Suppress 7 CP per 1d6. Constant Power

Transfer 12 CP for 1d6 Transfer if you can only aid yourself. 15 CP per 1d6 of Transfer if you can boost others

On 7/24/2021 at 4:37 AM, dmjalund said:

I would make non-combat movement for teleport cheaper than others, as it is a lot harder to use it to search for things and you can't add it to STR to slam into things

Megascale.  Duplicating 1m = 1 km (6E) Megascale requires 9 purchased NCMs.  Even if they're 3 points each, that's 27 points.  And if you want to tack on Usable Simultaneously, that's on the base.  And that's still very short range.  Regional-level teleport range...call it 1000 km, 600 miles...with

UOO (Usable Simultaneously form, x4 number of targets, Grantor Controls the Power Totally and pays the END, Recipient must remain Close

Safe Blind Teleport

net is +1

#1:  Teleport 10", MegaScale 1m = 100 km, and above:  10 points with +2.5.  35 points.

#2:  Teleport 10:, 16 NCM mulitipliers (9 gets you 1 km, next 7 give you x128, so your max range is a bit further)  BEFORE UOO and SBT:

2a)  by RAW, 90 base+ points

2b)  at 3 per NCM, 58 base+ points

2c)  at dirt cheap 2 per NCM, it's still 42 base+ points.

So active costs would be 180, 116, and 84.

If you reduce the range to crosstown...and even calling 10 km crosstown is kinda pushing it., if we're limiting the notion to a single teleport, it's the 9 NCMs that kill you.

It's kinda rude and kinda obnoxious, but by RAW, there are 2 basic build patterns:

a)  MP/VPP:  2 powers...possibly even more.

--teleport self in combat conditions (lots of base move;  generally wouldn't take Safe Blind Teleport)

--teleport self to infiltrate...range might not have to be as high, but safe blind teleport and possibly no range mods could be applied

--local teleport of a small group

--rescue teleport (teleporting an unconscious person, by RAW, requires UAA)...probably requires range in the hundreds of meters

--any teleport where range is greater than, say, 1 km, so as implied above, Megascale becomes fundamentally required

If my teleporter can only teleport himself, it'll probably be a 2-slot MP, perhaps 30m Teleport, 1/2 END and 10m Teleport with Megascale and Safe Blind Teleport.  If we're talking a very strong teleporter, then it might be a VPP with Limited Power (Teleports Only).  

b)  Rather less effective on Teleport...a Naked Advantage.  The base, combat Teleport has probably moderate range and few/no limitations.  The naked advantage would be for Megascale...remember that you can't turn an advantage off under RAW, and Megascale automatically shifts your teleport to non-combat, ergo all the penalties.  Because you're applying it to the slightly higher base move (than might be the case as in a) above where you can reduce the base inches once you're talking Megascale), you can throw in a Limitation like only to a fixed location, or increased END.  This build pattern is one I use for Flight or Running quite a bit.

I get your point, but making the NCMs cheaper just doesn't help.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not exactly sure about this one but it seems like a gap in the rules at present:

Multiple Trigger: For a +¼ advantage on a Trigger, it will act to start up an additional ability of the same active cost and parameters.  This is used for naked advantages, adding a trigger onto other powers that don't already have the advantage.

For example: you can buy Naked Advantage Trigger on force field and extra DCV whenever attacked.  All the same parameters apply: it can only be triggered by events normal senses could have perceived, and all of the features of the trigger apply to each triggered ability.

This allows a character to trigger several abilities at once if the parameters are met.

5 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I'm not exactly sure about this one but it seems like a gap in the rules at present:

Multiple Trigger: For a +¼ advantage on a Trigger, it will act to start up an additional ability of the same active cost and parameters.  This is used for naked advantages, adding a trigger onto other powers that don't already have the advantage.

For example: you can buy Naked Advantage Trigger on force field and extra DCV whenever attacked.  All the same parameters apply: it can only be triggered by events normal senses could have perceived, and all of the features of the trigger apply to each triggered ability.

This allows a character to trigger several abilities at once if the parameters are met.

As opposed to having to buy Trigger on each Power separately? Seems like too big a savings but YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Transfer officially states it takes points from an opponent and adds it to self.  Wouldn't a lot of builds be easier if it just applied 'from one target to another'?  This would allow healing type effects where the characteristics are donated by the healer or an (un)willing third party.  Perhaps a+1/4 advantage to change between operational modes would be needed.

Chris.

2 hours ago, Christougher said:

Transfer officially states it takes points from an opponent and adds it to self.  Wouldn't a lot of builds be easier if it just applied 'from one target to another'?  This would allow healing type effects where the characteristics are donated by the healer or an (un)willing third party.  Perhaps a+1/4 advantage to change between operational modes would be needed.

Chris.

First, I think it has to be noted that Transfer was removed. from 6E.

Second:  Transfer can be defined as a Drain triggering an Aid...but that Aid is self only.  You're applying UOO and probably Ranged, so those alone mean at least +3/4.  Assuming you are using the earlier Transfer, we're still looking at +1/2 as a minimum.  

9 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Second:  Transfer can be defined as a Drain triggering an Aid...but that Aid is self only.  You're applying UOO and probably Ranged, so those alone mean at least +3/4.  Assuming you are using the earlier Transfer, we're still looking at +1/2 as a minimum.  

I know that Transfer was removed, but I'm still playing mostly 5Er plus a few things stolen from 6E.  That right there basically proves my point: Instead of one clean and simple power, you have to go and link two powers.  And then I still have to Advantage around the forced self-only Aid for it to affect someone else.  If I want to lose the abilities I'm Aiding, then I have to apply Side Effects.  Altering the definition of Transfer to move points from A to B, and change who gains and who loses, covers all these cases in a much less complicated way.

Chris.

I have always been of the belief that Transfer should have been kept. That aside,  I like the concept of someone who can touch some object and absorb its health into the character. I would limit it to only certain types of materials,  though,  not be open ended like Absorbing Man is. 

9 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Transfer can be defined as Drain with a Linked, Self Only Aid but the Power he wants is not the classic Transfer.

18 minutes ago, Christougher said:

I know that Transfer was removed, but I'm still playing mostly 5Er plus a few things stolen from 6E.  That right there basically proves my point: Instead of one clean and simple power, you have to go and link two powers.  And then I still have to Advantage around the forced self-only Aid for it to affect someone else.  If I want to lose the abilities I'm Aiding, then I have to apply Side Effects.  Altering the definition of Transfer to move points from A to B, and change who gains and who loses, covers all these cases in a much less complicated way.

Chris.

But you can do this in 6th. Just don't buy the Aid as Self Only. Nothing says you can't Link the Drain to any Aid you want.  

I was against the change made in 6th until I worked with it. It adds some complexity but the gains are greater. Variable Fade rates being the biggest benefit unrestricted recipients and threshold triggers are also enabled without having to apply modifiers to the basic Drain power. The Aid can be as complex or as simple as you need.

I suggest writing the Aid first so you can get a good gauge on the Real and Active Points. It can get rather expensive to apply to multiple Powers/Characteristics at once. 

1 minute ago, Grailknight said:

Variable Fade rates being the biggest benefit unrestricted recipients and threshold triggers are also enabled without having to apply modifiers to the basic Drain power.

I get that you can apply different fade rates to the Drain and Aid.  But what is a threshold trigger?

1 minute ago, Christougher said:

I get that you can apply different fade rates to the Drain and Aid.  But what is a threshold trigger?

Having the Aid switch to another Aid once a certain level is reached(typically max). You only have to buy the two Aids and not the Drain and the subsequent Aid can have different fade rates and modifiers than the  first with a Conditional Limitation based on the threshold.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

New Idea I found in my notes, but never pursued:

SELECTIVE DEFENSE: A power with this advantage chooses between PD and ED (or rPD/rED), whichever is lower when damage is rolled.  Sort of a very limited variable special effect.

+¼ Advantage

I can't see a problem with balance offhand;  but, describe the power SFX.  I'm not sure it makes sense.  

If anything, I'm not sure it'd ever make that much sense to apply, either.

16 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

New Idea I found in my notes, but never pursued:

SELECTIVE DEFENSE: A power with this advantage chooses between PD and ED (or rPD/rED), whichever is lower when damage is rolled.  Sort of a very limited variable special effect.

+¼ Advantage

I'm with Hugh. This is Metagaming in it's purest form plus it's unnecessary as it costs more than a two slot Multipower

Smart weapon that shifts between PD and ED?  HOW?  

There's one SFX combo where this can work because they're so closely interrelated...electricity and magnetism.  A magnetic ball is, for me, physical defense;  electrical is obviously energy.  But that's also SUPER specific.  And I usually, as noted, do that with MP slots, or in a VPP.

I don't think it's metagaming because it's costing you damage.  This is an effect that *would* impact DCs, I believe because it modifies defenses.  Even if not, it's costing you active points for, at most, VERY marginal effectiveness...but if it's impacting damage caps, or decreasing the damage added from other aspects...it's completely not worthwhile.

And I've said before...the system has too many options and tries to do too much now.  Adding another advantage needs solid justification, IMO, and it definitely isn't here.