Pariah

If you saw the winning penalty, it was a fluke so the keeper cannot be blamed. And Sweden did keep the USA out for full time and extra time. Then it went past 5 penalties a piece.

Elsewhere the Netball World Cup final took place. Australia beat England 61-45. First final for England. 12th title for Australia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/netball/66423459

On 8/3/2023 at 4:40 PM, death tribble said:

Switzerland play Spain and Japan play Norway on Saturday. I predict Spain and Japan to go through.

Netherlands play South Africa and Sweden play USA on Sunday. I predict Netherlands and USA to go through

England play Nigeria and Denmark play Australia on Monday. I predict England and Denmark to go through

Colombia play Jamaica and France play Morocco on Tuesday. I predict Colombia and France to go through

England are through on penalties and Australia beat Denmark 2-0. My prediction rate is 50%

On 8/3/2023 at 4:40 PM, death tribble said:

Switzerland play Spain and Japan play Norway on Saturday. I predict Spain and Japan to go through.

Netherlands play South Africa and Sweden play USA on Sunday. I predict Netherlands and USA to go through

England play Nigeria and Denmark play Australia on Monday. I predict England and Denmark to go through

Colombia play Jamaica and France play Morocco on Tuesday. I predict Colombia and France to go through

Colombia win 1-0 and France wins 4-0. Therefore my predictions are 75% accurate.

Now Spain play Netherlands on Friday. This should be close. But I am going with Spain

Japan play Sweden. I think that Japan will get this.

Australia play France on Saturday and I think this is were the hosts go out. France win.

England play Colombia. I think England will win.

On 8/8/2023 at 2:17 PM, death tribble said:

Now Spain play Netherlands on Friday. This should be close. But I am going with Spain

Australia play France on Saturday and I think this is were the hosts go out. France win.

Spain beat Netherlands 2-1 and Sweden beat Japan 2-1. So my predictions are 25% correct.

On that basis I am nervous about England tomorrow.

On 8/8/2023 at 2:17 PM, death tribble said:

Australia beat France on penalties in the penalty shoot out after being goalless after full and extra time.

England beat Colombia 2-1. So my predictions are 50% right.

I saw the penalty shoot out. These things are nail biters and dreadful on the nerves. The England men's team fans know this of old and would much prefer to go out in regulation.

So Spain play Sweden on Tuesday in New Zealand and I think Sweden will get through as no-one yet has been able to knock them out.

And England play Australia on Wednesday in Sydney. England are the clear favourites as they have been in the semi-finals at the previous two World Cups. This is new territory for Australia and it would be the old rivals who now face each other. However I think this time England will make the final.

Out of curiosity, anyone know where that 20 PKs ranks in history as far as most end game PKs? Just curious. and when you get down to your 9th+ player (maybe 8th), you know these are not players used to taking PKs, so if you are one of these, would you rather the goalie saves it or miss the net? I would prefer the goalie make a good save then the poor 10th kicker for the French team and hit a post.

It's pretty unlikely that the Matildas will beat England. But it would be hilarious.

Even people who don't generally follow sports will be watching. The people who generally are anti-patriots tend to make an exception for England too.

And such a victory would be good for Australian football (soccer) too. Historically it's been underfunded compared to Australian Rules and Rugby League, despite its large following.

It's pretty unlikely I will watch the game, but my allegiances are clear, if for no reason than to watch the reactions of my female friends.

12 hours ago, slikmar said:

Out of curiosity, anyone know where that 20 PKs ranks in history as far as most end game PKs? Just curious. and when you get down to your 9th+ player (maybe 8th), you know these are not players used to taking PKs, so if you are one of these, would you rather the goalie saves it or miss the net? I would prefer the goalie make a good save then the poor 10th kicker for the French team and hit a post.

According to one source no. 20 plus on each side but I my adblocker stopped me from getting further.

The procedure is 5 players on each side take a kick. If the scores are still equal then you go to sudden death where if one side scores and the other does not then match over. The players including the goalkeeper take penalties until every one on the side excluding unused substitutes has tried. If all eligible players have taken a shot then those who have tried before get to go again until there is a result.

There is no history of animosity between England and Australian football teams. Unlike cricket and rugby union and the latter was really nasty. And at the moment the home country wants revenge as Australia won the Netball. They were favourites and won 11 times previously so it was not an upset.

The Cycling World Championships ended yesterday in Scotland and this was an inaugural event as it mixed Cross Country, BMX, Track, Road racing and Para cycling all in one place at the same time. It has been seen as a success.

https://www.cyclingworldchamps.com/news/record-crowds-attend-the-biggest-event-ever-as-inaugural-uci-cycling-world-championships-comes-to-a-close/

England beat Australia 3-1 to reach the final.

Finally after 2 semi finals England make the final. 

The first two goals were spectacular. No way the goalkeepers could have done anything about it.

One of he comments from the BBC was that Australia had one match winner while England had six or seven.

Australia can build from this.

Now England vs Spain in the final. No predictions.

Sweden beat Australia 2-0.

Sweden were the No 2 seeds and expected to be in the final. While Australia were supposed to reach the pool of 16 stage so they overachieved. Congratulations to them for staging the tournament with New Zealand.

And for L Marcus's benefit I thought Assault was talking about me as I am a Minnesota Vikings fan.