Pariah

I wanted to mention

Watched the AFL Preliminary Final between Collingwood and Great Western Sydney. Fabulous game, both teams with excellent defense and back and forth. Final score Magpies: 8 10 58 and Giants 8 9 57. Needless to say, the last minute or 2 was a frenzy of play.

3/4 way through other prelim final between Brisbane and Carlton. Carlton had a 32 to 8 lead at one point near end of first period, by end of 2nd Brisbane led 42 - 39. at end of 3 its Brisbane 63 43, so a good game but one really dominated by the Lions. Will see how 4th plays out.

12 hours ago, Pariah said:

I'd be interested to hear what the locals think of this idea. 

Seattle Sounders explore idea of new stadium in suburbs

Well, it's the wrong end of the area for me.  I live at the north edge of the city; the proposed location is well south.  Don't think it's on mass transit, either.  I can't blame them for exploring the idea, but with all of MLS held hostage on a PPV I will never sign up for, my chances of seeing them turn into finding a pub where I can watch.  Those exist, but it takes more motivation than I have right now.

Half time in the AFL Grand Final.

Collingwood 63, Brisbane 57.

Still could go either way.

Australian Rules would be an ideal game for US audiences but there aren't enough ad breaks for US television. It would need a new name, to make it more acceptable to a US audience. Freedom Football?

Edited by assault

My prediction of a Collingwood victory was correct, although the margin was impressively narrow. 90-86.

Having watched part of it, it is clear that I was correct in my assessment of the AFL's potential to become popular in the USA.

Freedom Football definitely has potential.

Edited by assault

Ouch.  The Ryder Cup is in Europe, so....not surprisingly, the US is struggling badly.  The killer was the first session, where Europe swept the four ball, no match even reaching the 18th hole.  US halved 3 matches Friday afternoon...but lost the other, so Europe had an overwhelming lead at 6 1/2 to 1 1/2.  Then they probably slammed the door in the first Saturday session, taking 3 of 4.  US recovered a bit to win 3 of 4...but it's 10 1/2 to 5 1/2 going into the Sunday individual matchups.  Europe only needs 4 points;  US needs 8 1/2.  (If it's a tie at the end, then the US holds onto the cup.) 

On 9/30/2023 at 12:53 AM, assault said:

My prediction of a Collingwood victory was correct, although the margin was impressively narrow. 90-86.

Having watched part of it, it is clear that I was correct in my assessment of the AFL's potential to become popular in the USA.

Freedom Football definitely has potential.

Finally got to finish watching. Boy was this a game of quantity over quality (I have seen many games go the opposite). Yes Collingwood had 90 points, but they were 12 goals and 18 behinds (which while watching the announcers call misses) where Brisbane, who have some amazing forwards (Cameron, who I watched play half a grand final 3-5 years ago after having his arm caught between his and an opponents body and bent backward, no idea how wasn't dislocated, Joe Daniher, Eric Hipwood (who seemed to disappear for most of this game, probably a result of Magpie defense which can be smothering) scored 13 goals and 8 behinds. so 30 scores for the Magpies and 21 for Brisbane. Whole game was close and enjoyable to watch.

I have watched it for years. Picked up the fox soccer channel specifically for AFL and hopefully my wife can watch some of the women's soccer on it. Also, they show the world rugby 7s, which I prefer to the full rugby. Used to be able to watch the big bash cricket, but that went to some streaming channel or something.

Team USA win a seventh consecutive Women's World Title in Gymnastics

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/67013010

Japan win the Men's team World title in Gymnastics

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/67001627

Japan's Daiki Hashimoto wins Men 's all round World Title in Gymnastics

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/67023201

The last games have been played in the pool stages of the Rugby World Cup

France Beat Italy to ensure they progressed, New Zealand, Wales, Tonga and Argentina won. England narrowly beat Samoa. Wales beat Scotland so the Scots went out.

Fiji lost to Portugal by one point and as a result they gain a bonus point. Consequently Australia are eliminated which is a real surprise.

Next weekend matches have two real showstopper games with France vs South Africa and Ireland vs New Zealand. Wales will play Argentina and England will play Fiji

Max Verstappen wins the Qatar Grand Prix and is the Formula 1 world Champion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/67048883

Kelvin Kiptum sets a new world record for the Men's marathon in Chicago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/67047638

Jake Jarman wins the vault world title in Gymnastics and Simone Biles won the beam and floor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/67047633

Rhys McClenaghan wins the pommel horse title

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/67039160

On 10/6/2023 at 10:15 PM, Pariah said:

Funny, I thought Aussie Rules just meant "No weapons on the pitch".

That's a misconception.  There are weapons on the pitch, but they and their use must be concealed, that's all.  Oh, and casualties are fed to the dropbears.

More NCAA realignment talk—basketball style!

Big 12 renews pursuit of adding Gonzaga to conference after previous realignment talks stalled

This would bring the increasingly inaccurately named Big XII to 17 schools in all sports except football. Gonzaga doesn't have a football program.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

More NCAA realignment talk—basketball style!

Big 12 renews pursuit of adding Gonzaga to conference after previous realignment talks stalled

This would bring the increasingly inaccurately named Big XII to 17 schools in all sports except football. Gonzaga doesn't have a football program.

Very interesting paragraph, that touches on the broader issues:

Yormark believes, with the interest of streaming properties on the rise, college basketball will be worth more to more suitors in the future. There are those in the industry who disagree. One key issue: Any movement in separating media rights would have to wait at least seven years until the Big 12's new media rights deal expires in 2031.

That could well be.  More games, broader game distribution throughout the week, far greater competitive depth.

If you follow hockey...even if it was only paying attention to SportCenter coverage...

You may have noted that Barry Melrose's presence last year...and possibly the year before...was down considerably.  He wasn't completely gone, but his appearances were rare.  That meant he probably hadn't gotten fired, as so many ESPN personnel have been over the last decade...but still...why?

Well...today, Melrose announced his retirement from ESPN, due to Parkinson's disease.  

He was always fun, if nothing else.  Best of luck to him moving forward.