Pariah

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

Trivia question I saw this morning: Can you name the four major North American professional sports teams named after bears? 

Took me a bit for the fourth (had to look up the definition to be sure)...

Spoiler

Bears, Cubs, Grizzlies, and Bruins

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Took me a bit for the fourth (had to look up the definition to be sure)...

Hide contents

Bears, Cubs, Grizzlies, and Bruins

I got the first three pretty quickly—the same first three as yours, and in the same order—and then kicked myself for not immediately knowing the fourth. 

Me too.  Brain fart on that last one.

In other news, the MLB and the clubs will replace the Jackie Robinson statue vandalized in KC, as noted here earlier this week.

And Boise State beats UNM in men's basketball...in The Pit, no less.  UNM was #19, but rankings this year are nothing more than big fat targets.  And in ABQ...most luscious!  

The Mountain West currently has 5 teams projected in the NCAA tournament.  The Pac 12 and ACC have only 3 each.

10 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Titans is one, but I don't see the other, either.  If you're thinking the Dolphin logo?  That's not fire, it's a sun disk.

Isn't that also true for the Suns? And I always thought it was a fiery hoop the dolphin was jumping through.

In any case, the five from the source from which I got the question are:

Miami Heat

Phoenix Suns

Calgary Flames

Tennessee Titans

Miami Dolphins 

On 1/30/2024 at 1:51 PM, Cygnia said:

I used the "Sad" emoji, but I really wanted to use one expressing fury. Only the worst of racists would have a problem with Jackie Robinson. The Color Bar failed for a reason.

I am utterly disgusted by this act.

On 1/24/2024 at 5:42 PM, unclevlad said:

Oh dear.  Ugly story coming out from hockey.

https://apnews.com/article/hockey-canada-sexual-assault-leave-19fd7216d95efcd2a753911bc05e0dbb

If police are going to press charges...this long after the fact, it makes me think they have a good body of evidence.

One of the players involved was the Philadelphia Flyers' ace goalie Carter Hart. The team might have had an inkling of what was about to go down, as they were trying to trade him just before this all came down. Now they will probably have to release Hart and get nothing in exchange -- which is a very bad thing for a pro team.

If Hart and the did what they are accused of, they deserve prison.

52 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Isn't that also true for the Suns? And I always thought it was a fiery hoop the dolphin was jumping through.

In any case, the five from the source from which I got the question are:

Miami Heat

Phoenix Suns

Calgary Flames

Tennessee Titans

Miami Dolphins 

Yeah, the Suns might be debatable too, but a site that detailed the Dolphins' logos through the years said it's always been the sun.  And considering Florida is the Sunshine State, it's much more sensible.  Even if it's the Kryptonian sun.

We'll forgive you...but only if you find the source and slap the person around for a terrible question.  I'm sure Our Fuzziness Who Art In England has a spare cat-o-nine-tails he can loan you.

F1 legend Lewis Hamilton will be changing teams at the end of the upcoming season. The long-time Mercedes driver has signed a prospective deal with archrival Ferrari, in hopes that with their support he can resume his on-track rivalry with Max Verstappen -- who had the strongest point-production season of anyone in F1.

As far as I heard, Red Bull is standing pat with Verstappen and Sergio Perez as their drivers.

THE HOTTEST TICKET in Nebraska for ANY event will be Super Bowl Sunday...

Because the Nebraska women's basketball team will host the Iowa women's team...and specifically Caitlin Clark.  After 38 tonight, she's now 66 points away from setting a new NCAA scoring record.  There's a game Thursday night against Penn State.  Then it's the Nebraska game.  

For an all time, significant record?  Yeah it's a super-hot ticket.  StubHub shows the cheapest general admission tickets are asking over $100...for comparison?  For the Minnesota-Nebraska game a couple weeks later, lower level, front row seats near center court are going for $44.  (For the Iowa game, row 12 seats in the same section...$656.)