Hero System for Fantasy

widjit

In all honesty there is not that much difference between the editions when it comes to actual game play.  Most of the changes between 5th edition and 6th edition is in the character creation.  They added a few new powers and got rid of figured stats in 6th edition.  You can probably use the 5th edition supplements for 6th edition with almost no changes.  Just ignore the point cost differences and use the stat block for any monsters.  You could probably even go back as far as 4th edition without too much of a problem.

I will echo LoneWolf.  When it comes down to actually playing the game, its almost identical through every single edition.  Nearly every change to the rules in editions has to do with building characters slightly more clearly and flexibly, not running the game.  The mechanics of the game are the same for combat, skill resolution, interaction, experience, etc.

That said, 6th is the most recent edition and is getting the most recent support.  Its also a bit cleaner in a lot of ways (like using meters instead of "game inches" for distances).  I find that Hero handles fantasy better than any other system I have tried (although Chaosium still has the crown for straight Cthulhu games), bar none.

On 11/4/2021 at 11:59 PM, widjit said:

I currently run DnD 5E and Savage Worlds games for various folks.  If I wanted to try out the Hero system for a fantasy themed game, what would be the best edition for that?

First off, welcome to the Hero System. If you're interested in running a fantasy-style game using Hero, I would recommend a copy of Fantasy Hero Complete (link below). It's an all-in-one kind of book that uses the latest edition of the Hero System rules. 

On 11/4/2021 at 11:59 PM, widjit said:

I currently run DnD 5E and Savage Worlds games for various folks.  If I wanted to try out the Hero system for a fantasy themed game, what would be the best edition for that?

Let me ask you. Do you have any of the Rules for Hero System? Do you mind making your own up? Or would you rather use pre built? And are you on a budget?

I’ll say that each edition has something to offer but answering those questions I feel will guide you to a better choice.

For example Fantasy Hero Complete is a great steal. There are some sample stuff in the book and if you buy it from Hero store there are some additional mini setting in it. However you still need to decide what exactly do dwarves get or if there are elves.

If you have the BBB you can pick up Fantasy for that edition reasonably cheap and it’s sample game world and spells and monsters are pre-built ready to run.

5th Edition has the most for Fantasy iirc however bunch of the setting books also refer to Fantasy for 5th so that would be 2 purchases. 

/self plug on

I am publishing a fantasy setting one book and several adventures at a time, a complete one that gives you everything you need to run a fantasy campaign straight out of the box.  You can see the links for that in my signature.

The Jolrhos Fantasy Hero setting is incomplete at this point but its for 6th edition.

/self plug off

Also remember that Hero Games has no prebuilt plug and play Fantasy Setting. 

There is a short list of Third Party fantasy settings and all of them can be found in both the Hero Store and Drive Thru.

Also note that Fantasy Hero Complete just like all of the Fantasy Hero titles is a complete guide to building your own game, not a complete ready to play setting.

I am not trying to discourage you since Hero is IMO the best system out there. 

I just don't want you to have expectations that are not there.

21 hours ago, widjit said:

Oh, I have a DnD world I've been running for 20+ years, I'll just PnP everything into it.  But thank you for the warning!

Then you shouldn't have too much of an issue, except for magic.  In D&D magic is pretty well defined.  In Hero you can model any kind of magic you want.  If you search the Fantasy subforum you can find posts about how to model D&D magic using Hero.

You will probably want to get the Fantasy Bestiary because it has all the familiar monsters/creatures you might see in a D&D game.

And congratulations for stepping into a wider universe called Hero Games.

19 hours ago, bluesguy said:

Then you shouldn't have too much of an issue, except for magic.  In D&D magic is pretty well defined.  In Hero you can model any kind of magic you want.  If you search the Fantasy subforum you can find posts about how to model D&D magic using Hero.

You will probably want to get the Fantasy Bestiary because it has all the familiar monsters/creatures you might see in a D&D game.

And congratulations for stepping into a wider universe called Hero Games.

Thanks!  I actually ordered the bestiary, equipment guide, grimoire, as well as the main book 1, 2, and fantasy hero.  lol  I might have an issue with buying too many gaming books. >.<

5 hours ago, widjit said:

Thanks!  I actually ordered the bestiary, equipment guide, grimoire, as well as the main book 1, 2, and fantasy hero.  lol  I might have an issue with buying too many gaming books. >.<

Well I guess my concerns about finances weren’t justified 😂. So do you have any experience with the Hero system?

7 hours ago, widjit said:

6 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

That's like saying you have too many dice.  No such thing.

What he said

11 hours ago, widjit said:

About 20 years or so ago.....

You'll find that not too much has really changed in play.  But there have been some changes between versions.  I don't know which version you are familiar with but the most significant change was between 5th and 6th.  But even that change is actually small when you step back and look at the big picture.  Though those of use who are geniuses and paragons of virtue all know that 5th Edition Revised is the pinnacle of development :angel:

I'd recommend this doc for a quick look at the main changes.  One 4 page doc to cover changes from 1981 to present through 6 editions.  The change between 5th and 6th is mostly a change of preference and approach than significantly changing play.

5th Edition RULES!! :rockon:

:sneaky:

I am planning on making a Fantasy Hero Begins book for my campaign, a starter scenario to teach the system, but that will wait until I get the Player's book done so probably not much good for you.

I am hoping at some point that we return to sanity for most people and start up real face to face gaming without people cringing in terror.

36 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I am hoping at some point that we return to sanity for most people and start up real face to face gaming without people cringing in terror.

I attended Dragonflight this year and both ran and played in some RPG games.  

It was fantastic and I hadn't realized how much I missed a good game.

On 11/7/2021 at 6:40 PM, widjit said:

Oh, I have a DnD world I've been running for 20+ years, I'll just PnP everything into it.  But thank you for the warning!

I'm going to potentially open up a can of worms here, but I'm going to suggest that you go ahead and learn the rules yourself and then port your players' characters into your setting so they don't have to learn all the character creation stuff. It's potentially overwhelming (many threads, some of them started by me, cover this subject ad nauseum). If you give them their characters with whom they are already familiar and then teach them how the combat and skill resolution works it will make the transition much easier. In the end it all comes down to 3d6, roll under, which is so utterly simple they won't believe it. This way you avoid the wall of text/barrier to entry/information overload problems that people always complain about.

Once they learn that they can create their own magic, etc. etc., they'll dig into the creation rules on their own and at their own pace. And THEN you have 'em hooked. . .