2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

It's not quite unanimous, but NFL.com, PFT, Bleacher Report, and ESPN all have the same.

Lots of em have the Rams at #30, as well, which is fair.  But hey, everyone could see it coming......

Well, anyone that looked past their Super Bowl win anyway.  Maybe not this far, but they literally did build a 1-and-done team.

19 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Technically #30 ought to be Chicago, which was the third team eliminated from playoff contention this weekend.

Chicago can't win their division, but I believe they are the only team where that's true.  In principle, Denver can tie KC...and they'd have to beat them twice, so I think they'd beat them if it was just head to head.  (The fact that this is less likely than my winning the Powerball twice, isn't relevant.)  

Best I can tell, Chicago is also the only team who can't win their division.  Houston can get to 7-9-1;  Tennessee could fall to 7-10.  Indy and Jacksonville wouldn't pick up enough wins to close out Houston in that scenario, I don't think.

Now...after this week's games?  Indy, Chicago, Green Bay, and NO have their byes, finally, so I'm not sure anyone can be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.  

Plus:  the Rams ranking is, I think, based on the fact that Kupp is out, and Stafford probably should be out.  The Rams have no chance at the playoffs;  Stafford has, I believe, repeated concussions, and that's particularly dangerous.  There is no reason to play him.  It's largely a tossup looking at their seasons overall, but the Rams are in worse shape.

And hey, Chicago's 29th in most of those, IIRC, so it's pretty much splitting hairs.  They're all horrible.

I just read that the Broncos' Sunday night game against the Chiefs in a week and a half has been flexed out of the Sunday night slot and back to 4:05 Eastern.

The Broncos have become so bad that they've now dragged Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce out of the prime time slot.

39 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I just read that the Broncos' Sunday night game against the Chiefs in a week and a half has been flexed out of the Sunday night slot and back to 4:05 Eastern.

The Broncos have become so bad that they've now dragged Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce out of the prime time slot.

It shows excellent taste.  This week, CBS has 2 games, so the next week they'll only have a single game...so the can bury it completely.  As it deserves.  Least, I hope so.  CBS early slot has Jets-Bills, which is a much more interesting matchup.

Huh.  I was looking somehow at the week 14 schedule on the byes.  Only byes this week are Cards and Panthers, so it's quite possible a team or two will be eliminated this week.

ARGH.  And TNF is Buffalo at NE this week.  My bad!!!

So it's next week that's trash.  

Heard some good NFL jokes this morning.

The Denver Broncos?  Wow, I haven't seen an offense this bad since Electric Football™.

The Las Vegas Raiders are currently trying to trademark the term 'WIN CITY'.

Isn't that false advertising?

Deshaun Watson is back this weekend.  Boy, I hope a lot of guys try to touch him against his will....

I suppose it's a bit classless, but I wonder if we could bet on the number of roughing the passer calls against the Texans.  O/U of, what, 2.5?  

And a note to whomever is broadcasting the game:  use a delay during visiting team player intros, or somehow be very careful in how you handle the crowd mics.  Methinks there will be extensive obscenities voiced by the crowd.  And to the fans?  Earplugs.  

Were I betting...I'd be inclined to bet the Texans for the first half, at least.  I dunno if emotion can carry them the whole game, and they really are a terrible team, but for a half?  Might be worth it.  And Watson obviously hasn't played in ages, so the rust element is another factor.  But definitely, I'll be rooting for the Texans.

BTW, Seattle will probably root for the Texans as well.  An extension to that...IIRC, if the season ended today, 3 of the first 5 picks in the '23 draft would've been traded to other teams already.  Rams, Broncos, Saints (to the Eagles, no less).  Texans have the Browns' #1 pick...so they do themselves a favor there too, by winning and dropping the Browns to 4-8.  There's 10 teams at 4-7-1, 4-7, or 4-8 before the weekend, covering picks 5-14, so each game can make a significant change in the draft order.  

Good win for the Bills;  Pats look miserable again.  Bills get some separation;  the Pats were tied with the Chargers at the front of the chase pack, 8th-9th in the standings.  And...9 wins in the bag, a game against the Bears as an early Christmas present.  (Turns out they're playing 11 games in total on Christmas Eve, and running a morning-afternoon-evening triple on Christmas day itself, much like Thanksgiving.)  That should be #10, and that should get them a playoff berth.  The division may come down to the next 2 games...Dolphins and Jets.

Ever since Peyton Manning retired, the hardest part of being a Broncos fan was never knowing who our starting quarterback was going to be next year.

Now the worst part of being a Broncos fan is knowing exactly who our starting quarterback is going to be for next several years.

The problem is that the Broncos haven't been bad for very long, and this season is especially difficult because in the preseason it was obvious that they had everything they needed to make a playoff run.  Happiness equals reality divided by expectations, and expectations for the Broncos were very high this year.

I have a lot of experience following wretched football franchises and I've dealt with it by learning to enjoy the trainwreck.  The Raiders are a masterclass in discovering new ways to fail.  Once your expectations are set accordingly, you can really appreciate it when your team actually puts together a competent game now and then.

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Once your expectations are set accordingly, you can really appreciate it when your team actually puts together a competent game now and then.

So Mr. P has to wait for the Wilson contract to expire?

No, wait.  That might be manageable.  Painful, to be sure, but manageable.  At the end of this period, tho, the Broncos will have to fall back to a QB they draft and develop.  Oh dear....

Oh my...

Being forced to root for the Broncos is now clearly shown to be unconstitutional, as cruel and unusual punishment.

Choosing to root for them is equally proven to be a form of insanity that requires careful monitoring, in order to be certain the sufferer does not inflict physical harm on him or herself.

New lows...and this season, that's hard to do, but they're pulling it off.

Denver's now scoring less than 14 points/game.  The most glaring factor:  3rd down conversions.  They were 3rd worst...Houston and Carolina were slightly lower, but the gap to the next worst was 6%.  Broncos were 28%, the Jets right above them were 34%.  That went DOWN today;  Broncos were 2 for 12.  Looks like that drops them below 28%.  Also, in scoring, Houston's 2nd worst...but they're scoring just under 2 points per game more.