2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

In the interest of maintaining a family-friendly atmosphere, I elect to use my right to say nothing about that image.

One has to wonder where Trevor Lawrence might be now, had he had a coach last year.  Plus:  it ended up being nice that 

a)  it was a single-game week for CBS, and there were no regional games for the late slot here

b)  it ran 20 minutes late, so we got to see quite a bit of the game.  It was also nice, indirectly, that the Cincy game ended abruptly, with 3 kneeldowns...Tenn was out of timeouts.

Also love that Brady lost.  Unfortunately, yeah, it means the Browns won, which is...regrettable.  (Family friendly, family friendly...!)  AFC South is again completely under .500.  The division is 11-21 against everyone else.  And to add insult to injury?  Carolina is 3-1 against the division...1-7 against the rest.  Guess who the 1 is?  

EDIT:  postgame after KC finishes off the Rams.  At the end of the shots from the Panthers/Broncos, there's a shot of a teammate barking at Wilson.  DUH.  Bradshaw's parting comment:  "They're upset, as they should be.  Ugh, what a bad team."

EDIT 2:  after the highlights, Curt Menefee brought up The Hackett Question...and they spent about 5 minutes eviscerating the team.  And pointing out that the defense is starting to yell at Wilson.  Jimmy Johnson did bring up a very valid point...if they fire Hackett, who are they going to get?  Mr. P made the joke about Matt Rhule taking the Nebraska job over in the college thread, but the Denver situation is far worse.  There is possibly no worse situation in US major pro sports.

As Hawkeye said in Avengers: Endgame, "Don't give me hope."

I'm not sure who they can get to replace him long term, but Dom Capers is currently on the Broncos staff and could theoretically fill in for the remainder of the season. He has at least coached an NFL team before.

At least the Broncos aren't so cash poor that they can't afford to terminate the guy right now. That's something, I suppose.

I doubt any hot candidate would take the job.  I doubt even a Bienemy, who's been passed over for a couple years, would take it.  So yeah, I've got no idea who'd take over either.  The Broncos are a dumpster fire about on a level of the Lions of a few years back.  

Saying he may be fired tomorrow shouldn't be giving you hope;  this season is a lost cause.  It's too late to think the internal divisions can be patched this year, IMO.  This team has fallen apart, according to all evidence.  And he's not going to be around next year...particularly given that ownership has no reason to stay with him.  (I also wouldn't be surprised if Paton gets axed at the same time.)

Going back to the subject of pro football...NBC caught a shot of Rodgers in the tunnel...sans pads and jersey.  Haven't been watching closely but apparently he's been getting beat up some more.  Appears to be inevitable, then, that GB is done.  That'll make the 6th NFC team at 4-8 or worse.  The AFC may match that number next week...3 worse than 4-8 already, and 3 more at 4-7.

Relegation.  Definitely need relegation.

Oh yeah.  Big day for New NFL.

Jags and Chargers both eschew game-tying extra points to go for 2, with scant seconds left in the game.  Both work.  Huzzahs all round.  Bask in the glory.

/sarcasm_off

That said...Chargers were on the road, and Jags were a hefty underdog.  So I can kinda see them both, under the circumstances, but the overly aggressive types will see it as a vindication of their belief that I think is unwarranted overall.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

Also Washington can cut Wentz in the offseason with no additional cap hit, whereas Denver is stuck with Russell through 2023.

That, and the high cost to get the...privilege of giving him that contract.  From the Pulse this morning, emphasis mine:

5. Russell Wilson’s contract
Has there ever been a bigger disparity between expectations and results? Russell Wilson came to Denver as an elite quarterback. Nathaniel Hackett came as Aaron Rodgers’ favorite offensive coordinator. Both have been sub-replacement level this year, evidenced again in  yesterday’s 23-10 blowout loss to the lowly Panthers, which saw meltdowns both on the field and on the sideline. 

Wilson is in the first year of a five-year, $242 million contract, and the Broncos gave up five picks and three players to get him. It has a chance to be the worst trade in league history. 

And we know how strong a statement that last one is.

They signed him just to the practice squad tho, so it's not like it costs them anything.

Perhaps the most scathing indictment about the Broncos this year.  Adam Schein on NFL.com, the worst losses of the week, this was #8 (of 9):

Russ looks cooked. Being the second-best quarterback on a field with Sam Darnold was a bad enough look for Wilson, but getting screamed at by his own defense? This is rock bottom for the Broncos quarterback. At least I hope it is. After all, Russell's dead-cap figure doesn't dip below $30 million until the 2027 offseason, so he's locked into his role for the foreseeable future. Hard to see that being the case for first-year Broncos coach Nathaniel Hackett.

The new Broncos ownership didn't hire Hackett. How did they feel watching Hackett lose to a Carolina team that already fired its coach and traded its best player?

The only reason this loss isn't higher on this list is because it's what we've come to expect from this Broncos team. Again, not a good sign for Hackett's future with the franchise.

Steelers-Colts is...pretty much as expected.  2 inept offenses.  Joe dropped a nugget earlier...Colts had a turnover on their opening possession...for the 3rd time this year.  In 12 games?  Wow.  

I just saw a video of some of the most painful records in NFL history. The Manning family shows up three times.

Lowest career winning percentage (minimum 100 starts): Archie Manning, 0.262

Most playoff losses: Payton Manning, 13

Most pick-sixes in a game: Eli Manning, 3

I also found it interesting that the records for most career interceptions, most lost fumbles by a quarterback, and most pick-sixes in a career are all held by the same player. Any guesses?