2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

I'm more curious where veterans like Mayfield, Minshew, and Jimmy G will end up. Do they stay?

Mayfield says he doesn't want to be a back up, and McVay says Stafford is still the guy.

Minshew could well be moved off at the end of the season because Eagles. 

Jimmy G is unwanted in SF despite the fact that he just keeps winning for them. They tried to (foolishly) trade him at the beginning of this year. Do they try again? 

And then there's Dalton and Bridgewater... QB carousel will be fun. And for once The Jags are happy with theirs. 

We can't say that Mayfield's proven anything to warrant being a starter.  One drive against the Raiders...a team notoriously bad at stopping offenses late.  Awful against the Packers.  And the Broncos shriveled up like sponges in the desert.  Put that against the rest of his record, and it's not great.  That said, lots of front offices are desperate, so it could easily happen.

Jimmy G...I think the playoffs will still be a big factor WRT Brock Purdy.  Too small a sample size right now to go crazy with the kid, but if he can perform solidly in the playoffs, that may change.  (But a story in Bleacher Report also notes that Gardner Minshew had an excellent, short run that he could never duplicate.)  The other question is, what happens with Trey Lance?  The Niners sank a LOT of assets to trade up for him.  I agree they can't keep all 3, but of them, it's plausible that Lance is the best trade candidate.  Everyone will look at G's injury history and *have to* flinch a little.

Dalton and Ryan are, IMO, likely in the same boat.  If you pick them up, you're thinking somehow they can shed 10 years.  I wouldn't want either;  they have too little present value and no future value or upside.  Put Flacco in here as well, but his playing time has dwindled so much that no one's mentioned him for a reason.  I'd be mildly surprised if Ryan and Flacco start next season on a roster.  Ryan's case is a bit weird:

https://boardroom.tv/matt-ryan-contract-colts-retirement/#:~:text=Ryan's contract%2C which began in,guaranteed in case of injury.

Minshew is UFA, so it may depend on what he wants.  He's young and he's cheap, so he'll probably latch on *somewhere*.  Philly's not that likely to draft another young QB, but they may well go after, say, Jimmy G, and let Minshew go.

Mariota...no opinion.  Haven't seen him at all.  

Carr...yeah, he's gone.  His contract guarantees in mid February;  right now, nothing past this season is.  And it's a honkin' BIG contract.  It also has a full no-trade contract, so trading him is more difficult.  Figure he gets cut in January.  That is, unless McDaniels gets canned;  who knows what happens then.

And one other:  Tua.  He's definitely out Sunday, and probably out for the season.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dolphins-tua-tagovailoa-has-another-confirmed-concussion-teddy-bridgewater-to-start-vs-patriots-in-week-17/

But that doesn't stop being a concern.  His future's cloudy.  Also, it's no surprise whatsoever, but the NFL and NFLPA have opened a joint inquiry...again...WRT him and the situations.  My feeling is the Dolphins have to show they haven't messed up.

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

It's almost as though McDaniels is willing to tank any remaining playoff hopes in favor of blaming Carr for his own failures as a head coach.  While bringing in a former coworker (Stidham) this season and possibly another (Brady) next season.  One wonders what Davante thinks of this move, after transferring to the Raiders specifically to play with Carr.

And now Derek Carr has "stepped away from the team to avoid being a distraction."

Translation:  to avoid screaming at McDaniels, and to avoid being the focus of a complete locker room split.  He can read the writing on the wall, too;  he's done.  

And yeah...their playoff hopes are extremely slim, but Miami w/o Tua?  They can lose two.  I'll grant that they've got, what, a 5% chance of beating the Niners and Chiefs...but I'm not giving up on that yet.

And worse, my gosh...look at this.  

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35336012

Uhh...he did have some time in NE, in 2020...and he was TERRIBLE.  And maybe it's just me, but McDaniels' tone is "please buy this absolute BS I'm spouting."  Yeah, the nepotism factor absolutely seems real.

Denver losing 2:  likely

CHI beating DET or MIN...remote at best.  DET is at home, playing to stay in the hunt.  MIN, final week...I don't trust the Vikes to make it easy, but I do trust the Bears to let it get away...and the Vikes have been good at taking it in that situation.  

Texans might beat the Colts...honestly, that's not that wild.  Jags?  It's a huge trap game that matters very, very little...the division decider is Jags-Titans.

#1 pick...seemingly the only time it's not a QB is when there's none worth taking, and the early view is, this is a QB-rich draft, even well into the 2nd round.  So, yeah, a QB's likely.  Young has the visibility and the style the NFL's beginning to like more.  I pay no attention to that noise, tho, at this point.  Everyone's draft order will change.

We also have to figure:  who's gonna get the #1?  Houston *could* beat Indy;  that's not at all hard to believe.  That puts the Bears in the driver's seat, and they have a kid QB they're trying to groom now.  If they could, say, get a #1 and #2 this year, and a #1 or #2 next year, for the #1 pick?  A first and 3 second round picks can do a fair bit of retooling.

If it's Houston, they have the following high picks right now:

#1 (their own)

First round from Cleveland (#10 right now)

2nd and 3rd, their own

3rd from Cleveland

With the holes they need to fill, this absolutely looks like a spot to trade the #1 pick.  They can draft the #2 or #3 QB, plus a lot more.  This might be the most compelling situation to trade the #1 pick we've seen in a while.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

I was just thinking ... with JJ Watt retiring (assuming he stays retired, which these days, who knows?), I think we have to begin to include him in conversation of "Best NFL player never to win a Super Bowl". 

That's a big group.  Bruce Smith and Jim Kelly.  Dan Marino.  Running backs?  OJ, Barry Sanders, Eric Dickerson.  And I'm not gonna mention the greats whose careers notably or completely predated the Super Bowl, or, say, Gale Sayers whose career was so short.

I'll readily concede he'd be on the list;  3-time DPOY --> one of the all-time best.  Trying to pick *one* from the insane list is...pretty much meaningless.  Different eras, different positions.

I suspect he's not coming back, but as you say, one never knows for sure.  As they showed in the game the other night......his 2 month old makes a pretty compelling reason for him, I think. 

And just like that, the Broncos have lost control of the game after leading at the end of the third quarter.

Whoever the Broncos' new quarterback coach ends up being, I hope he can spend the summer working with Russell Wilson on distinguishing between the two different uniform colors on the field.