2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

yeah, I would not want to be that player on the ride home if he is in hearing range of Belicek. It is the type of thing gets you sent to practice squad by him because he wouldn't want you the satisfaction of going to another team. aaannnddd, might have cost them the division if carolina hadn't choked.

This seems to be the weekend of apparent locks playing to lose.

I no longer get to watch the Raiders play since Mariota is (or was) a Falcon.  Tracked the highlights down, though, and that is a disturbing play.  If the Raiders have found a way to inflict Raidersitis on opposing teams, it could be devastating.

edit: I found a version of the play with audio from the Patriots Radio coverage.  "This might be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen."  "This is a heads roll type of frickin' play right here."  One wonders what they would have said if they weren't broadcasting...

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

This doesn't work for me, because I've seen the Stanford Band. 

That was circumstances outside the control of the teams playing.  Unless you're talking about the band's halftime shows.  Yeah, sometimes those are...overwrought.

Also, "dumbest" goes to the fake punt...Pats-Colts, 2015.  Where 9...9!!!!...of the players lined up near the sideline.  Where you've got the center and 1 guy under center to take the snap.  Yeah, remember that one one?  I call that the dumbest ever because it was believed to be a sensible, plausible play.

Yesterday's disaster was unique, tho, IMO.  No, it's certainly not the first time we've seen idiotic laterals that backfired...most of the time, just turning into a fumble.  It was that second dying quail throw, and the result.  It was the situation...TIE score.  It was a DRAW play to simply run the clock out.  It was a call that allowed stupidity to work.  Ball was at the Pats' 45.  3 seconds left.  No way you can get into FG position in 3 seconds.  Pats call a draw...but why do ANYTHING?  TAKE.  A.  KNEE.  Raiders had no TOs.  Instead, they run a play against a defense that's playing deep...they don't care about giving up 30 yards.  When that happens, the back's brain melts down.

I'll grant that running the draw had a SMALL!!!!!!! chance of going wrong, but it had no chance of scoring.

And the Rams now join the...ignoble...group eliminated before Christmas.  

Hey, Mr. P!  The league's giving you a present!  The Broncos might WELL win their 2nd in a row, on Christmas Day no less, and on a nationally televised game.  And since the Rams played tonight, they probably never considered flexing them to Saturday.  That said....

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/christmas-day-disaster-free-tickets-los-angeles-broncos-rams-empty-sofi

11 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Hey, Mr. P!  The league's giving you a present!  The Broncos might WELL win their 2nd in a row, on Christmas Day no less, and on a nationally televised game.  And since the Rams played tonight, they probably never considered flexing them to Saturday.  That said....

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/christmas-day-disaster-free-tickets-los-angeles-broncos-rams-empty-sofi

Them: "That game's probably gonna be pretty bad. You could always watch the NBA."

Me: "I'd rather watch a football game between two winless NAIA teams than watch the NBA."

46 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Or: "I'll pull out a deck of cards and play solitaire for three hours before I watch the NBA."

"Playin' solitaire 'til dawn, with a deck of fifty one...."

Yeah, still sounds better than watching the NBA. :nya: