2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

17 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I saw this and had to share. Sorry, Old Man.

323883478_1346853179382387_3569165971852

I wonder what the signs in Indy were saying today...

BTW, found the last play Jets-Fins.

Yes indeed, another brilliant execution of Pitchy-Pitchy Woo-Woo.

This might be the most foolish attempt.  The position's hopeless when the first lateral's made;  it's in Flacco's hands at the 11?  Forget it.  Miami's in great position, the Jets are in horrible position, they can't support each other.

GO LIONS!!!!!

In what can only be called a salute to the opposing fans on the last day of the season, Sean McVay of the Rams sent Bobby Wagner out alone to take the opening coin toss of the Rams-Seahawks game. 

In other feelgood Seattle moments:

35-year-old Bruce Irvin, in what could be his final game for the Seahawks in his 3rd go-round with Seattle, with the sack on 3rd and 2 to the end Rams' drive. That's his fourth sack this season. Most he's had since 2019 (8 1/2 with Carolina)

Of course, it all comes down to the notably unreliable hands of ... the Lions ....

Then again, they're also getting considerable help from GB.

PUSHING a TRAINER who's on the field to see if a player needs help?  How stupid can you possibly be?  Gave the Lions a 1st and goal;  Lions punch it in to take the lead with about 6 minutes left.

GO LIONS!!!

I get the tension's running high for the Packers now, but you HAVE to keep your composure out there.

The problem now is..the Lions are going back on defense.

EDIT:

Or NOT.  Pass rush gets in, Rodgers tries a deep ball that is

INTERCEPTED!!!!

Lions have the ball at midfield after the return with 3 1/2 left.  Not over, but odds are now heavily in their favor.

But it's been that kind of a season.  Cold --> blazing hot...Detroit, Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, San Fran.  Teams go ice cold...Tennessee, Miami to a lesser degree, probably Baltimore.  Granted, both had major injury issues.  Raiders get an F- grade for how they close games.  Colts turn into, IMO, the most completely dysfunctional franchise.  (I simply haven't seen Chicago much, and the Texans aren't dysfunctional so much as undermanned.)  Browns and Broncos give them a run for their money, to be sure.

EDIT:  Lovie got jobbed, then.  He kept that team together when they're simply grossly short on talent.  Coaching turnover is much more likely to extend issues than solve them.

11 hours ago, Cancer said:

Man, the Packers just imploded in the last 4 minutes.  Unbelievable. 

Geno Smith leads the Seahawks into a playoff game in Santa Clara.

Yeah, I had this game on, and it really felt like the Packers lost more than the Lions won.  Still, it's nice to see the Lions make the playoffs along with other hard-luck teams like the Fins, Jags, and Bengals.  And it's also refreshing to have a playoff picture with no Pats or Packers.

FBO has the odds of winning the ship pretty evenly split among the Chiefs, Eagles, Niners, and Bills, then there's a bit of a dropoff to the Bengals, and everyone else is 3.6% or less.  But they still have to play the games.  Have to say I'm really pulling for the Bills, they have a curse to dispel.

Chicago gets the #1 pick in the draft, but what will they do with it?

Yeah that movie was way better than it ought to have been. 

I'm not sure the Bears so clearly need a QB.  Fields got significantly better as the season wore on (and not incidentally saved my fantasy season when Hurts went down).  The Bears also have a Texan-level lack of talent at every other position, as well.  My advice to them would be to trade down, but they haven't asked for my advice yet.

Meanwhile my Raiders now have to pick up a QB in the offseason, on top of all their other problems.  Thanks Josh.

54 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Have you seen the movie Draft Day? Some team will be desperate enough to give up the proverbial king's ransom for the #1 pick.

(Good flick, by the way. Maybe Kevin Costner's best.)

Very underrated, yes.  His best movie is Silverado (though he is not the star).

Of his baseball movies, I actually like For the Love of the Game more than Field of Dreams or Bull Durham.

47 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Yeah that movie was way better than it ought to have been. 

I'm not sure the Bears so clearly need a QB.  Fields got significantly better as the season wore on (and not incidentally saved my fantasy season when Hurts went down).  The Bears also have a Texan-level lack of talent at every other position, as well.  My advice to them would be to trade down, but they haven't asked for my advice yet.

Meanwhile my Raiders now have to pick up a QB in the offseason, on top of all their other problems.  Thanks Josh.

I would not give up on Fields yet either...very much improved this year and a more dangerous runner than Jackson or Hurts.

I actually am a little shocked, the Cards having just handed the man a ridiculous contract renewal.

Meanwhile the Broncos have received permission to interview Dan Quinn for their HC opening.  Quinn flamed out in NO but has coached the Cowboys to a shutdown pass defense and seems to have a good relationship with Russ.

Based on what I've read so far, the preferred order for the Broncos Next Head Coach© seems to be Sean Payton, Jim Harbaugh, and then Dan Quinn. The Broncos have also announced that they'll interview DC Ejiro Evero for the position. My thoughts:

Sean Payton would probably be a great choice, assuming he can make Russell Wilson look like his old self. Payton will cost at least the #29 pick Denver got from Miami earlier this year, leaving the Broncos without a pick until the third round (which is even worse than last year), unless New Orleans wants one or both of those picks, too. Or maybe the 2024 first round pick in addition to this year's pick. Seems pretty expensive to me, but early reports seem to indicate that the Broncos and Saints are "on the same page" where this is concerned.

Jim Harbaugh is looking at a Level I NCAA violation at Michigan and may be looking for a quick out to the NFL. His record in the NFL is good. And he can tell time, which is more than we can say for Hackett.  With the right coordinators, he could probably make the Broncos competitive pretty quickly.

Dan Quinn has the aforementioned history with Russell Wilson and has head coaching experience. His defense in Dallas has been impressive. He would undoubtedly represent an upgrade (not that that's a high bar to clear). And hey, the last HC we got from Dallas (Dan Reeves) worked out pretty well. 

Ejiro Evero's defense was stout this year, and easily the best unit for the team. But he has exactly one season of coordinator experience, and no head coaching experience. I don't expect him to get the job, and I'm half-convinced this is a Rooney Rule interview. 

There are other names of coordinators out there who may make good head coaches. I hope the Broncos' ownership group ignores all of them. No more experiments. Get a head coach who knows what it means to be a head coach.

I've read that Jim Harbaugh is an... interesting character.  I'm not sure I'd want him as HC unless I had a high tolerance for drama.

Apparently, Chicago not only holds the #1 draft pick but also has the most cap space in the league, so they can also do whatever they want in free agency.  It's the kind of freedom and power that almost guarantees GMs will screw up.  Poles has been in the job almost exactly one year, and it's his first GMing gig.  I wish him luck.

14 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I've read that Jim Harbaugh is an... interesting character.  I'm not sure I'd want him as HC unless I had a high tolerance for drama.

Apparently, Chicago not only holds the #1 draft pick but also has the most cap space in the league, so they can also do whatever they want in free agency.  It's the kind of freedom and power that almost guarantees GMs will screw up.  Poles has been in the job almost exactly one year, and it's his first GMing gig.  I wish him luck.

Harbaugh is flakier than perfect puff pastry.  Just seen too many sound bytes, and too many weird things have been reported.  Plus, do you really want someone who's constantly looking elsewhere?

Payton...yeah, he might be a great fit, but would you come back to coach *Denver*?  As hosed as that team is, in terms of cap space and draft picks?