2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Tampa Bay just clinched the NFC South and earned the playoff berth.

Which means that unless the Bucs win the Super Bowl, Tom Brady will tie Peyton Manning this postseason for the most playoff losses by a quarterback in NFL history.

Giants, Lions, and Jags take care of business, winning the way a potential playoff team should win against an also-ran.

OTOH, Washington chokes, and Rivera's going to be massively second-guessed for using Wentz.  16-28 for only 140 and 3 picks, in a game at home that they basically HAD TO win. In fact:  if Green Bay wins, they and Detroit would be 8-8...and play each other.  So barring a tie...one of em goes to 9-8 and Washington can't get in.  

Philly...if you're a fan of theirs, I'd be worried, because the offense under Hurts wasn't doing great in the second half of the season.  Minshew might not be the biggest problem;  ToP was 37+ to 22+ for the Saints, who ran clock nicely.  And too many penalties for the Eagles.  

And the horrible disappointments...Bucs and Pats both win.  Carolina is out for sure;  the Saints may have some slim hopes.  Pats...well, with Tua out, the Fins were in deep trouble.  Ugh.  I really don't want to see the Bucs or Pats in the playoffs but............  And the Pats aren't a lock yet.  They've got the Bills to finish out the season, and will need the win if the Jets win today.  (Same situation...the Jets and Dolphins would both go to 8-8 and play each other.  Pats lose to the Bills, they're 8-9 and out no matter what.)

The way Wilson played today really suggests that Hackett tried to cram him into a system where he never fit.

HOO BOY.  STUPID GB defensive back, he's got total control of the Vikes' receiver, literally picks him up and body slams him.  Instant, automatic call;  I'd personally support making this like targeting...first time in a game is a warning.  It was bad.

Then again, the Vikes throw a pick on the next play.  They're looking like the Bears.  

Well the Raiders had a 10 point lead in the 3rd quarter, which means the 49ers had them right where they wanted them. For the 5th time this year, the Raiders blew a double digit lead and lost in overtime. That, coupled with the Vikings collapse against the Packers hand the 49ers the second seed with a chance for the 1st seed next week. The Eagles haven't won a game since they lost their starting QB.

7 hours ago, unclevlad said:

CBS pregame.  The Derek Carr situation came up, starting with Cowher calling what the Raiders did, disrespectful.  Ending with Boomer:  "Dysfunctional franchises do dysfunctional things."

Ouch.  Truth can be painful.

24 minutes ago, BNakagawa said:

Well the Raiders had a 10 point lead in the 3rd quarter, which means the 49ers had them right where they wanted them. For the 5th time this year, the Raiders blew a double digit lead and lost in overtime. That, coupled with the Vikings collapse against the Packers hand the 49ers the second seed with a chance for the 1st seed next week. The Eagles haven't won a game since they lost their starting QB.

But obviously Carr's fault. AS I said to my brother, "I can't remember Carr making a significant play on defense this season".

During Carr's tenure, the Raiders Defense has been just awful. But as usual, QBs get too much credit when they win and too much blame when they lose.

They always count a QBs Win-Loss record, they'll show a head coach's W-L record, but they'll never show the same thing for any other position player.

Similarly, Starting Pitchers are the only player in baseball that get the same treatment.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Teams may want the #1 and bye, but I'm not sure any of em *deserve* it.

Vikes have to be the least convincing 12-4 team ever.

The facts agree with you.

image.thumb.png.421f893bd40c68b7dcb93facb28e88ce.png

After today's game, they are 12-4.  An excellent record...BUT they have a point differential of -19.  They're a complete fraud.

That sets up an interesting scenario. As it stands right now, I think Tampa would host the Cowboys in the first round. By all rights, Dallas should beat the Bucs like the proverbial rented mule. But then again, Dallas has this terrible habit of choking in the first round. So it is possible that Tampa wins that first playoff game and advances with a .500 record to play the number one seed, whoever that ends up being.