2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

If I'm reading the playoff situation right, next week's Jags and Titans games are almost meaningless.  

a)  the game between them in week 18 will decide the division, regardless of next week

b)  the loser probably has no shot at a WC.  That would be their 9th loss, and Miami and the Chargers have 8 wins already.  Wins either this week or next, and the loser can't catch them.

Sooo....that makes their matchup a prime choice.  It's highly meaningful for the 2 teams, the results of every other game doesn't impact this one, and this one doesn't impact any other playoff spot.  It's possible that the NFC South will be in a similar position, but that could be a 3-way battle.  If that's the case, they'll have all 4 teams playing at the same time.  That division is playing in-division for 2 weeks, so the combinations are more than I care to work through right now.

BTW, I am officially rooting for Arizona tomorrow night, to beat the Bucs.  First, it's the Bucs and I'm TIRED of Brady.  Second...this would guarantee a sub-.500 team winning the division.  Bucs, Carolina, and the Saints would all be 6-9.  Mind, I seriously doubt it'll work out;  the Cards might be the best team to face in a must-win scenario.  Them or probably Chicago, maybe the Jets.  Not Houston, they're playing hard still.  Not Denver, they've actually threatened an offense.  With Murray, the Cards were Not Very Good;  now?  They're awful.

Ok, I figured that Dallas beats the Eagles with Hurts out, but not because their defense decided not to show up. I mean, they scored 34 points with Gardner Minschew. You HAVE to win a game where you 2nd string QB comes in and does that, but the Defense apparently stayed home. Also, if you win that game, you seal up the NFC East, probably home field in playoffs.

Not sure if we've mentioned this but...Carolina's win today means that the Bucs-Panthers game next week is for the division lead.  Carolina finishes with the Bucs and Saints, the 3 teams in contention.  They've already beaten both.  This is after the Big Trade, where we figured they'd tank.  

Mind, it is the NFC South, but still.

Oh, my bad, I misread the schedule.  Saints and Falcons are playing outside the division next week.

If the Bucs lose, setting up the 3-way tie, then Carolina wins the division if they beat the Bucs next week and the Saints lose...to the Eagles, who'll want to bounce back, and in Philly, I believe.  If Carolina beats the Bucs, they clinch the tiebreaker against the Bucs (head to head) and the Saints (better division record).

3 hours ago, slikmar said:

Ok, I figured that Dallas beats the Eagles with Hurts out, but not because their defense decided not to show up. I mean, they scored 34 points with Gardner Minschew. You HAVE to win a game where you 2nd string QB comes in and does that, but the Defense apparently stayed home. Also, if you win that game, you seal up the NFC East, probably home field in playoffs.

Poor defense, or a blazing hot Dak?  Rare as that might be.

Philly finishes with the Saints and Giants at home.  They'll be major favorites in both.  One win gives them the division;  2 wins guarantees the #1 seed.  Vikings have Packers and Bears, but on the road.  They'll be favorites, but lesser ones for that reason.  (Plus, they simply don't win big.)  Also for the Eagles, the game against the Giants may be meaningless;  they clinch with one more win, and they have the Colts next week.

Yeah, ya gotta figure the Eagles weren't real happy with their execution.

And could the Raider-Steeler game, on this night, end any other way?  A much cleaner play than the Immaculate Reception of course, but same style, as the Steelers yank the victory from the grasp of the Raiders.  

EDIT:  Raiders are not eliminated *yet*, but just about.  Must win their last 2;  any win by the Chargers or Fins, each with 3 more games, takes away one of the last 2 slots;  and need other things to happen, since there's...count em...5 teams at 7-8, altho one will take the AFC South.  Still leaves the Pats, Jets, and Steelers...and the Steelers obviously have the head-to-head tie if it comes to that.  

Raiders deserve to be eliminated tomorrow anyway.  

EDIT:  Oh yeah.  NFL Network?  You guys committed the absolute worst move since Heidi.  WHY???? cut away to a commercial when they're showing the Harris highlights in the stadium?  Some people need to be fired.  Hey, I'm not a Steelers fan, nor a Harris fan per se, but COME ON.  This was a combination of events that almost never happens, and REQUIRED full coverage.  Y'all are rank amateurs.

5 hours ago, death tribble said:

I'm happy going into the New Year

So this Is, what, a once a decade occurrence?

BTW:  FiveThirtyEight and ESPN FPI both give the Jags about a 75% chance to make the playoffs, with the Titans cratering and Tannehill out.  Bucs-Panthers, before the game today, is 2-1 Bucs.  The last NFC WC slot is wide open;  basically a near-even split between Detroit, Seattle, and Washington on FTE;  on ESPN, Seattle's got a big edge there, and the Packers are given a somewhat better shot.  The AFC WC spots are much less dramatic.  

Two years ago on this date, the New York Jets beat the Los Angeles Rams to move to 1-13 on the season.

So if you have any friends who are Jets fans, take a moment today to remind them that this is the reason they ended up with Zack Wilson instead of Trevor Lawrence.

The first of the 3 picks was a gross misread, potentially combined with a receiver running a bad route.  2 receivers too close together...and 5 defenders circling them.  There had to be a better place to throw the ball.  (Wilson's first pick was this way, too.)  

The second one was after a drive.  It was, again, another careless throw IIRC.

The third pick might've been film study and the Fins being overly predictable.

So this was...somewhat different, but largely that story, yeah.  

We don't need to worry about that in this game.  Way to go, Russ...another freaking BLIND HEAVE into the end zone with a blanketed receiver.  Someone posted the video of Wilson's horrible judgments, a couple weeks ago, and this game's repeated that story *multiple* times.  These are Manziel-esque, college-level boneheaded.

Might have to look up largest margin of victory for the season to date;  who knows, this might threaten it yet.  EDIT:  Cowboys 40-3 obliteration of the Vikes.  Yes, that's at risk.  Bronco defense certainly isn't responsible for a big chunk of these points, but they've mailed this one in too.

Evidence suggests you're right.

Bench Wilson for the season.  Not to protect him, to send a message.  His play's not the only issue but it's a major, major part.  Yeah, right, there's no way I can see that he isn't the starter next year, but this is a far cry, in the wrong direction, from totally pathetic.