2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

The Chiefs made short work of the Raiders. I don't know what the heck that ring around the rosie thing was but it kind of serves them right getting a holding call after all that whoop-dee-doo.

As for the night game, I'm sorry, Logan. But the Jaguars, so far, aren't playing like a team that aspires to host a playoff game next week. They're playing like ... well, the Jaguars.

Both networks have doubleheaders tomorrow.  CBS early:  Pat-Bills is getting complete national coverage, with only the exceptions of the local broadcast markets for the other 3 games.

Yeah, I know I'll be tuned into the pregame for that one.

Mr. P doesn't get the Chargers-Broncos in the late slot, tho....why, I'm not real sure.  Got to figure there'd be more fans of one team or the other, rather than Eagles or Giants.

Network headquarters are in New York, and all things New York have the conceit that New York is all that matters.

Same reason why in classic baseball lore, "The Shot Heard 'Round The World" was hit in a game between two New York teams.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Mr. P doesn't get the Chargers-Broncos in the late slot, tho....why, I'm not real sure.  Got to figure there'd be more fans of one team or the other, rather than Eagles or Giants.

I don't think that's accurate.

3 hours ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

Apology accepted.

Hey, the defense really came to life in the second half. Congratulations to the Jags.

And if a coaching change can get Jacksonville into the playoffs, maybe similar magic can occur in Denver next year....

9 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Wait, what? Why are there two different maps? What south end of a northbound horse is responsible for this?

< checks the programming guide on his TV >

Horse hockey! Why in the name of Floyd Little do we have to watch two teams from way the frell across the country instead of, say, a team that's actually in the same [REDACTED] time zone? What son of two strangers decided that was a good idea?! 

Monkey muffins! 

Broncos Wire probably grabbed a map from earlier in the week, and the setup may have been changed later on. 

I'll bet it's because they're putting up both NFC games...Cowboys-Washington is the biggest broadcast on Fox.

Oh.

My.

Can't write this stuff.

Bills return the opening kickoff 96 yards, UNTOUCHED, to the house.

I will confess, it won't break my heart if Bill Belichick ends up watching the playoffs from his couch. Go Bills!

It's a little unfortunate that Tom Brady won't be joining him, but maybe that's just me.

And if the Bengals beat the Ravens today, there's no way they should have to flip a coin for home field if they meet again in the playoffs. That's just the dumbest decision in the history of a league that, frankly, has had some really dumb decisions over the years. So go Bengals!

And as much as I would like to see the Broncos pull off the upset and close out this disastrous season with at least a ray of hope for the future, I don't have a lot of faith that it's going to happen. And even if it does, I won't be watching. (See diatribe above.)

24 minutes ago, Pariah said:

And if the Bengals beat the Ravens today, there's no way they should have to flip a coin for home field if they meet again in the playoffs. That's just the dumbest decision in the history of a league that, frankly, has had some really dumb decisions over the years. So go Bengals!

They literally changed the rules already in place and went with the coin flip decision.  In addition, if the Bill's get the 2 seed they get a neutral site AFC Championship game.  If the Bengals get the 2 seed, it gets played in KC.  Insulting and wrong on so many levels.  Hopefully used as a little extra motivation going forward.

PS:  Joe Mixon just took a coin out of his sock and did a coin flip TD celebration in the end zone.

If the Bengals beat the Ravens, there is no flip.  

The reasons why it would go to a flip if the Ravens win:

--Ravens would have beaten Bengals twice

--each team would have 11 wins

So had the Bills beaten the Bengals, the Ravens would get the tiebreaker.  Bengals beat Bills, there's no tie.  Bengals take the division.

If the Bengals win and the Bills lose, even if the Bengals had beaten the Bills *they can't take the #1 seed* so WHY would it not be played in KC? 

Had the Bills beaten the Bengals, then winning today would give *them* the #1 seed by tiebreaker. 

The point is to examine the ties that COULD have happened, had the Bills-Bengals game been played out.  The Bengals aren't being hosed out of something they might have had.

And, yes, they're changing the rules at the last minute...in response to an absolutely unique, extraordinary, and completely unforeseeable occurrence, where there simply weren't many viable options.  What they did was the most generally equitable solution, given ALL the circumstances. 

Wait, didn't the NFL already announce that the Bengals are the North Division champions? How does that work if two teams in the same division have the same number of wins and one of them swept the other? Wouldn't the Ravens be the champions?

37 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

If the Bengals beat the Ravens, there is no flip.  

The reasons why it would go to a flip if the Ravens win:

--Ravens would have beaten Bengals twice

--each team would have 11 wins

So had the Bills beaten the Bengals, the Ravens would get the tiebreaker.  Bengals beat Bills, there's no tie.  Bengals take the division.

If the Bengals win and the Bills lose, even if the Bengals had beaten the Bills *they can't take the #1 seed* so WHY would it not be played in KC? 

Had the Bills beaten the Bengals, then winning today would give *them* the #1 seed by tiebreaker. 

The point is to examine the ties that COULD have happened, had the Bills-Bengals game been played out.  The Bengals aren't being hosed out of something they might have had.

And, yes, they're changing the rules at the last minute...in response to an absolutely unique, extraordinary, and completely unforeseeable occurrence, where there simply weren't many viable options.  What they did was the most generally equitable solution, given ALL the circumstances. 

So if you beat a team twice and you have the same number of wins you now disregard the division winner and flip a coin for home field...if that's fair to you we will just agree to disagree.  Gee, hope nobody has a tie in the future....

They changed the rules...rules which are already in place to go in effect in case there are unique circumstances.  It was wrong.

It was also rendered moot by the Bengals winning.

Can't accuse the Texans of tanking.  Long late drive, score a TD with 50 seconds left...on a 4th and 20 play from the Indy 28.  THEN go for 2 and the win.

And with the Bears losing, the Texans drop to the #2 pick.

Miami makes a long FG to win a totally inoffensive game...not surprising, considering both teams' QB situations.  With the Pats losing, they're in.  AFC playoff matchups are set for next week...Bills-Miami, Bengals-Ravens, Jags-Chargers. 

Hurts is playing for the Eagles.  It is a must-win for the #1 seed, and probably good to get Hurts some game action.   

EDIT:  saw the final score, Jets-Fins.  Ohhh boy, this one's gonna be another lead for Bad Beats.  Fins kick the FG with 18 seconds left, go ahead 9-6.  Touchback on the kickoff.  Couple plays go nowhere, not surprisingly.  Need big yards with no time.  3rd and 10 from the 25, 12 seconds left.  The play blows up, it becomes a scramble drill, the clock is ticking, ticking, ticking...and the final result is a *safety*...when the play started at the 25.  The line was Jets +3.5............

So very Jets.  May also be the swan song for Flacco, he was in for that series, and his last few stops have been complete duds.  (And he's pretty old.)  So far I've only found a video from the end zone, shot on a phone's cam...I'm sure there'll be better replays soon enough.