2022-23 NFL Thread

Pariah

Was anyone aware that the Cowboys reached a settlement...for $2.4M...with 4 cheerleaders who said a senior exec filmed them, while changing, back in 2015?  That was back in February.

I hadn't.

Mike Florio brought it up on PFT, as an example of the disparity in punishment between senior execs/owners, and players...and that's something the league would NOT want brought up in court.  Because according to Florio, it was never reported to the league...and the league has never done anything.  The exec is no longer with the Cowboys...but how can this NOT be a potential personal conduct violation?  And it's *required* that these be reported...so there darn sure looks like a massive coverup....

Maybe not what we really wanted, but 2/3 of a season pretty much, a substantial fine, and the groundwork so if he doesn't behave, the league can increase it.  There's that requirement to receive treatment.  So if something comes out where he's doing it again, one would think the league will come down MUCH harder.

And this should be it.  The PA agreed, so his grounds for appeal seem to be nonexistent.  

NYT has an article today, about how the Texans enabled all this...and of course, they're skating completely.  

I have to admit, I may have to catch the introductions and/or first series, if that Browns/Texans game is available.  Hopefully the fans will try to set a sound level record with the intensity of their booing....

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

I have to admit, I may have to catch the introductions and/or first series, if that Browns/Texans game is available.  Hopefully the fans will try to set a sound level record with the intensity of their booing....

I'd rather see them set a sound level record the other way, and not show up.

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The exec resigned 6 years after the incident.

Correct, but a great deal of that time was taken up by the behind the scenes legal wrangling. This wasn't a case like Watson where there were repeated incidents over time. It was a one time deal that boiled down to a 20+ year employee's word against  that of the women. I am 95% sure that he was guilty but we have laws in this country concerning reasonable doubt or preponderance of evidence that we need to follow. It may not apply in this case, but too many movements sabotage worthy causes by jumping to a presumption of guilt before the fact are in. Here, legalities were followed(at an admittedly glacial pace) and the exec was out of a six figure job before he wanted to be. The league should fine the team for hiding the incident until the settlement but at least some punishment was dispensed and compensation given to the victims. Other than arguing for more money for the victims, what more can the team do beyond firing?

As a side point to the above...

The CBA as written, probably couldn't support what Mr. P wanted, and obviously allowed those contract terms.  It wouldn't surprise me, tho, that

a)  language regarding contract structure like this, is adjusted in the CBA, so this dodge isn't allowed, or

b)  should a similar case arise...not just the incident but the contract and its timing...a MUCH larger fine should be plausible.

I think the Browns were idiots with the trade, and the contract.  There wasn't anything against them doing the contract like that, tho, but outside Cleveland, I daresay there's a strong majority that feels they're dirty, dirty, dirty for it.  

Last thought.  Watson will be eligible to come back against the Texans...but how ready can he be?  

From the article: 

When the NFL announced Watson's punishment on Thursday, one key part of the deal was noted by Roger Goodell. "This settlement requires compliance with a professional evaluation and treatment plan," the commissioner said. 

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the evaluation and treatment plan will be handled by "a third-party behavioral expert" and if Watson wants to get reinstated, he'll have to comply with any recommendations made by the expert. If Watson doesn't comply, "his reinstatement could be delayed," which could lead to a suspension that lasts longer than 11 games. 

It's not clear what a behavioral expert will want to see from Watson, but if the quarterback is asked to show remorse, that could end up being an issue.

Deshaun Watson could still be suspended more than 11 games, and here's how it could reportedly happen

Sam Darnold had best be putting away his windfall this year.  It's the 5th year option, kicking $18M his way.  He's an unrestricted free agent next year.

And Baker Mayfield was named the game 1 starter for Carolina today.  

I daresay Darnold will hang around the league but it seems very unlikely he'll be considered as anything but a backup...or worse, just depth.  3rd string.  With a SHARPLY!!! reduced salary.

For those of you who are Panther fans?  Better luck next year.......  I absolutely don't trust Mayfield as a leader, and if he's your better choice............

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

It's really amazing, I spent decades sympathizing with Cleveland and its fans and hoping that they would succeed, and that all vanished in an instant.  Poof!  Now I look forward to more decades of futility from them.

I'd like to see what happened to SMU in the '80s happen to the Cleveland Browns now.

Never going to, of course, but I can dream.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

It's really amazing, I spent decades sympathizing with Cleveland and its fans and hoping that they would succeed, and that all vanished in an instant.  Poof!  Now I look forward to more decades of futility from them.

Welcome to the club. All that good will utterly wasted in one offseason. It just sucks. 

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

I'd like to see what happened to SMU in the '80s happen to the Cleveland Browns now.

Never going to, of course, but I can dream.

IMO it's REALLY hard to argue that Jimmy Haslem's actions haven't done extensive damage to the league...but he'll never be punished.  Same with the Texans, from what's been reported.  

For those who don't remember:  SMU football was completely barred from competing for 2 years due to repeated recruiting violations, and *massive* lying to investigators...including the AD and University President.  IIRC from a 30 For 30 about it...no practices, no meetings, no NOTHING.  Took them 20 years to get back to a bowl game.

But hey, Mr. P, they didn't do it to the Bengals, when they had a BUNCH of players doing things that would draw extensive suspensions now, so they're not gonna touch Haslem.

Fine with me, we ALL get a team we can hate on.  And we can offer Cygnia our heartfelt condolences for being a victim of this atrocity.