NFL 2023

unclevlad

Wow...talk about total self destruction...

Cowboys take the opening kick, go 75 yards in 10 plays.  Rams respond, 10 plays, 60 yards...but stall.  FG.  Cowboys answer with a FG.

Then the Rams implode.

Cowboys kick goes into the end zone.  Ball at the 25...Stafford tosses a pick-6.

Next Cowboy kick goes into the end zone.  Rams lose 3, gain 10, lose 9...punt from the 23.  It's blocked.  Safety.  Now 19-3.

Cowboys take the free kick and return it 63 yards to the Ram 13.  2 plays, touchdown.

16 points in 4 minutes.

Are Tannehill's days numbered?  Well, yeah, but it may be a MUCH smaller number now.  Will Levis is in...15/23 for 188 and 3 TDs.  Admittedly, it is against the Falcons, but hey.

My guess is that Jordan Love will remain the starter for the Pack for the regular season, barring injury of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if the team goes QB hunting in the draft.  He's middle of the pack in QBR coming into the game...but today's is bad so far.  5 yards per pass attempt is Not Good.  The season QBR is just under 50...but it's also buoyed by good performances against...the said Falcons, and the Broncos.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, fine, I gotta root for the Jets here, because the Giants deserve to lose.

10-7 Giants.  They take over the ball on downs at the Jet 26 with 1:26 left.  Giants gain 9 yards, force the Jets to burn their final 2.  They call TO with 28 seconds left after burning max clock, for a short FG from the 17.

It misses.

Jets ball on their 25.  First play...gain 29 yards.  Giants are OFFSIDES...clock STOPS.  17 seconds.

Jets  gain another 29...tackled in the field, but run up to the line, clock the ball with *1 second* left.

They make their FG.  Overtime.

Granted, Daniel Jones is out, but the Giants *refuse* to pass.  As in, 6/14...with no completion over 4 yards.  Their net passing is....MINUS...yes, -9 yards.

THEN they mess up the coin flip, I believe, in OT.  They take the ball...and go 3 and out.  Wrong move, when the Jets have barely been better...defend then you can *try* to get into FG position to win.

Nope.  Instead, after their 3 and out, the Jets try a deep ball that gets a pass interference, and now have the ball at the Giant 15, with a the chip shot FG to win.  Which they make.

The New York media is going to incinerate Daboll.  Yeah, fine, make the FG and it would've been OK, but negative passing yards?  Poor decision on the coin toss?  16 points or fewer, in 7 of 8 games.  Probably eliminated from the playoffs altogether at this point.

Giants are gonna need to look a lot better moving forward, or I think Daboll may not last the season.

OTOH?  Hey, Bryce Young gets the ball at his own 9, 6:19 left.  Short passes get the ball to plus territory at the 2 minute warning.  Run, run, run the ball cuz they're in FG position...forces Houston to burn TOs.  Chip shot FG as time expires.  Young gets his first win, 15-13.

26 minutes ago, Starlord said:

I don't understand what's happening in Denver right now....

Mahomes has the flu and it's twenty degrees out.

But the Denver offense did play at least competent football.  It was nice to see some effort out of Jeudy for a series or two, if only because he knows he's on the trade block.

Still, I gotta go with Starlord.  Chiefs were flatter than a graphene sheet.

I bet that, if we really went through the entire results for the last few years?  We'd find a similar number of just unbelievably BAD performances by what we *thought* were good teams.  Feels like there's a LOT!!!! more of them this year...or, if not bad performances, late-game collapses, and the like.

Yeah, Mahomes clearly was not 100% in Denver today, but he was getting very little help from this teammates. Dropped passes, bad ball security, soft defense. It was a perfect storm for Denver finally to be able to break that long, embarrassing losing streak.

Or, you know, maybe it's just that Taylor Swift wasn't in attendance. You never know.

Questions of the night, after MNF:

a)  Will Garoppolo survive the season behind that line?  QBR was 3.7...and he missed several, but when you're getting trampled regularly...that can happen.  Case in point?  David Carr.

b)  Will Josh McDaniel survive the season with such an objectively terrible offense?  It's not like the Lions have a top-5 defense, and only 1 offensive score....  

c)  Are the Lions contenders or pretenders?  Too many critical mistakes to give me a lot of confidence.

54 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Questions of the night, after MNF:

a)  Will Garoppolo survive the season behind that line?  QBR was 3.7...and he missed several, but when you're getting trampled regularly...that can happen.  Case in point?  David Carr.

The Raiders O-line was doing a great job of letting Lions defenders get to him untouched, in a straight line.  It makes me wonder because...

b)  Will Josh McDaniel survive the season with such an objectively terrible offense?  It's not like the Lions have a top-5 defense, and only 1 offensive score.... 

...last week Twitter-I-mean-X was alive with rumors that McDaniels was losing the locker room through his favoritism and awful playcalling.  My question is, has Garoppolo also lost the locker room?  Tonight will not have helped any; it's gonna be a long flight back to Loss Vegas.

c)  Are the Lions contenders or pretenders?  Too many critical mistakes to give me a lot of confidence.

The Lions are that scrappy contender that plays sloppy but with high motivation and talent.  They're a lock to win their division after Captain Kirk's unfortunate injury.

8 hours ago, Old Man said:

..last week Twitter-I-mean-X was alive with rumors that McDaniels was losing the locker room through his favoritism and awful playcalling.  My question is, has Garoppolo also lost the locker room?  Tonight will not have helped any; it's gonna be a long flight back to Loss Vegas.

I see what you did there. Well played, Old Man.

Commanders have traded both Chase Young and Montrez Sweat, basically gutting their defensive line.  Both are free agents at the end of the season, so I rather suspect their agents were saying that re-signing was...not happening.  

That's the only real big trades, it looks like.  Yeah, Arizona traded Dobbs to the Vikes, but we knew the Vikes *had* to get a body there...and Dobbs is a journeyman at best.  

EDIT:  comment in the Athletic.  Trade deadline loser?

Ron Rivera.  Lost both his starting edge rushers.  OK, the team will have draft capital, but odds are, he's not gonna be there.  It's noted by several:  Rivera pushed for Chase Young with the #2 pick...over a QB.  Not good.  Nor is his record the last 6 years.  

6 hours ago, Pariah said:

Flamed out in Denver, bailed out in Indy, flamed out in Vegas. Any chance this guy ever gets another head coaching position?

Near certainty.  Sooner or later.  I'll grant...the track record's about as bad as it can get, with *2* tenures resulting in mid-season terminations in the 2nd year.  That strongly suggests it's more than bad performance;  it's locker room issues as well.  Plus, this time it can't be blamed on inexperience.

The timing, and the fact that they also fired the GM, makes me think some of it's related to NOT securing a trade for Davante Adams, as the last straw.

Raiders are still stuck with paying his contract too.  Heck, if he wants to, he can go coach high school football forever.

Good gosh.  They don't!

https://www.vikings.com/team/players-roster/

Sort by number.  K, RB, 4 DBs, 5 WRs, P, QB.  IR, 2 QBs and a WR.  Practice squad, another QB and another WR.  And #10 was Tarkenton's.

I suspect the WR on the practice squad will get his number changed.  That feels like it's the easiest to do.

I never really thought about it, but the Vikes have 53 active, 10 on the various IRs, then I see 16 on the practice squad.  So that's almost 80 numbers...before talking about the retired ones.  OK, there's space...but with restrictions based on eliglible vs. not, or for position group...this makes ya wonder if any other teams could run up against this.  I suspect so...quick check...especially the Bears and Giants, cuz they have 14 retired numbers, each.

Pretty sure this is why we're starting to see players with the number 0.  Braxton Berrios on the Fins has that.

It wouldn't surprise me if the league eventually adopted numbers 100-199.  The 1 digit wouldn't take up that much additional space.

Or they could go decimal.  Then you'd have 0.1-9.9, and .01-.99.

My personal preference would be for them to go alphanumeric, though.