NFL 2023

unclevlad

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

Cleveland win by a point. Will Cygnia be pleased ?

I doubt it, but the sexual assaulter reinjured himself so that would take some of the sting out of it. 

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

If the Browns and win go to the Superbowl will unclevlad become uncleveland ?

It took years for me to realize that his handle wasn’t uncleveland. I just figured he hated Cleveland which is a perfectly reasonable opinion to have. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4....count em, 4....teams that entered 1-5, won.  I'll grant:  Packers, Raiders, and Commanders are not good teams;  couple of em may well end up in the bottom quarter.  And Buffalo...wow.  

Still surprising.

I don't hate Cleveland per se;  I hate that they gave out the contract, first...to The Individual We Shall Not Name, and second...to *anyone*.  It was a ridiculous contract and it's jacked up the QB market *again.*  And guess who pays for it?  US.  We're paying more and getting less...it's already true that Disney's no longer doing free streaming on MNF, and even their bigger college football games.  This is a BAD trend for the NFL, IMO, as there's a cycle going on, of decreasing subscribers to cable/satellite, and increasing costs for cable/satellite.  Those are synergistic...in a negative way for the NFL.  They *want* the broad access;  it's a big factor in maintaining their popularity, IMO.

11 minutes ago, Pariah said:

No humiliation this week. Important distinction.

Humiliations galore next week, almost certainly.

Hey, Mahomes might think that if *Tua* can put up 70, what can he do????  

Hey, the line's only 8.5 right now.  Tied for 2nd largest;  largest is Chargers-Bears at 9.5, and Ravens-Cards is also 8.5.

22 hours ago, unclevlad said:

And what the HECK is wrong in Buffalo???  Lose to the Jags, barely sneak by the terrible Giants, and now they're trying to make Mac Jones a Pro Bowler...18/21 for 199.  PATRIOTS are up 22-10 pending the extra point???  Halfway through the 4th.

My brother says its because Josh Allen is on the cover of Madden 23.

Also, just wanted to mention. A few years back, when it looked like Miami and Philly might play in SB, I commented how TV would love this because they could talk about Hurts and Tua replacing each other in consecutive years at Alabama in the National Championship game and winning it. Someone said that no one would care what happened X years ago in college. So last night they play each other on SNF and the opening story - Tua replacing Hurts then Hurts replacing Tua and how they are still in contact.

Edited by slikmar

I find all these latter-day numbers ("Power rating" and so on) purest hype-feeding garbage.

The Seattle-Phoenix game was dubbed "least watchable" going into last week on someone's artificial ranking, but in light of actual outcomes, I think the leading term in their "watchable" index is the average distance of the two franchises involved from New York, and that term has a strong negative weight.

My notion of "least watchable"?  Packers-Broncos.

1.  2 bad teams;  both are probably looking at top-10 draft slots.

2.  2 *bad* offenses overall.

Awful weather can be another reason, almost on its own, because it just bogs the entire game down.  

A gross mismatch might not start as unwatchable...but generally, if the favored team jumps out...it'll get there.  Mind, we've had our major shocks before...

This week...the least watchable games would've been Packers-Broncos and Commanders-Giants.  Cards-Seahawks?  That would've been pretty bad too, but...eh...Seahawks are plausible playoff contenders, at least.  

Just because the game played out as semi-close...everyone lays at least one egg.  In the NFL, man, playing down to the level of your competition is darn near routine.

Week 8 broadcast maps

For some reason Hawaii is the only place west of Toronto that gets the Jets-Giants game.  Obviously the network execs have moved to their winter quarters in the islands.

((*$%!! aging color vision))

My mistake, they get Pats-Fins.  :think:  Is that better or worse?

Edited by Cancer

17 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Week 8 broadcast maps

For some reason Hawaii is the only place west of Toronto that gets the Jets-Giants game.  Obviously the network execs have moved to their winter quarters in the islands.

((*$%!! aging color vision))

My mistake, they get Pats-Fins.  :think:  Is that better or worse?

Tua is from here, that's why we get the Miami games now.

OK, at least there's some reason.

Meanwhile, some Fanblog Chatter Of Unusual Snark:

Fan perception versus reality seems to be the theme for 2023. There is a real difference between ‘this offense needs to get it together and become great’ and ‘this is the NFL equivalent of Iowa’.

Question though… What about trading fans? Is this allowable?

Maybe we could offer some HUMPHREY fans to the Chiefs for Don’t Like Swift fans?

What about some Jalen Carter Truthers to the Eagles for Fans Who Don’t Boo Santa?

What about some Bench Geno fans to the Cowboys for Fans that Want a Super Bowl this Century?

I think a swap of Trade DK! fans to the Chicago Bears for the most deserving fan refugees (we won’t let them hurt you anymore) seems fair.

Followed by

To be fair Santa was having a pretty bad year.

It's even hitting more mainstream outlets:

https://apnews.com/article/raiders-analysis-week-7-a876b69b4fb3c76c1b3508099fb7ea49

This one may well be more clickbait than anything but it goes even beyond what our resident antiquarian noted.

https://firstsportz.com/nfl-news-raiders-players-run-riot-josh-mcdaniels-heat-up-loss-struggling-bears/

Kinda unusual broadcast map this week.  Fox only has the single game, so their map's broken up regionally, since it's covering 2 time slots.  On CBS, tho, they're giving most of the country the Jacksonville-Pitt game early, and the late slot's basically split...KC-Denver has the midwest and mountain, Cincy-SF (interesting game here) has most of the rest.  Baltimore-Arizona is their home markets only.

4 hours ago, Cancer said:

Yeah, the maps say Hawaii gets 49ers-Bengals, as does everywhere else abutting the Pacific Ocean. 

Will Denver try to do the Patriots' old snow-clearing trick on FG attempts?

Forecast says they probably won't get the chance.  Precip percentages drop down sharply around noon, with decreasing cloud cover.  It actually doesn't look bad...cold, especially for just being October, but upper 20's, drying out, not much wind.  Sitting in the stands might not be a lot of fun, tho.