NFL 2023

unclevlad

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the Denver defense actually got a stop.

Should have had my DVR turned on.

Edit: The comment was made at halftime that the Broncos defense has now given up 91 points in 6 quarters. That total is now up to 98 in 7 quarters. Statistically, I suppose that's a little better. But giving up 28 points to this Chicago team is just inexcusable.

Edited by Pariah

Justin Fields has a 153 passer rating, mid 4th???  And that's with an active passing game???

I'll say it first...as I said earlier.  If Fields looks like an all pro...and today, he absolutely does...Vance Joseph's now on a very short countdown.

Huh...until that.  Didn't see it. but 14 yard sack, to a scoop and score?  OK, Broncos get credit for a pressure...but I strongly suspect Fields made a terrible decision.

I'll still assert Joseph's days are short, despite the end of the game.  I think the Bronco victory says MUCH more about the Bears' ineptitude.

And note...I'm not necessarily opposed to going for it on the 4th and 1 at the 18, where the Bears chose not to try the go-ahead FG.  With 3 minutes left...it's a debatable call.  Make the first, and they'd run the ball great...and their situation is MUCH better.  I'll have to see what the play call was.

But this pretty much locks the Bears into position as the worst team in the league.  And it's probably not even close...which is saying a lot.  

EDIT:  and what the HECK is wrong with Joe Burrow?  20 of 30 for 165?  211 yards total offense, against Tennessee?  

So we have our power rankings...?

32.  Bears

31.  Panthers

30.  Broncos

29.  Vikes

Why does Mike McCarthy go for 2?  It's early 2nd, they're slamming the Pats, just gone up 16-3.

Oh...ok.  Greg Olsen pointed it out on the replay.  Pats for some bizarre reason had all 11 on the line...very much like selling out to block a game-tying or game-winning kick...and the Cowboys saw it and called the automatic.  I was thinking they were giving something away...but it's the Pats that handed them the golden opportunity.

This game's probably over already.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

EDIT:  and what the HECK is wrong with Joe Burrow?  20 of 30 for 165?  211 yards total offense, against Tennessee?  

He can't move at all and can't throw more than 15 yards downfield.  Probably shouldn't be playing.

Edited by Starlord

Annoyed that the Clots couldn't do anything more in OT against the Rams than have the zebras throw flags and call back apparent completions, despite Stafford being peg-legged.  It was enough to make me turn off the set for the day.

[Drew] Lock’s vibes are fantastic in the way that an untrained golden retriever’s vibes are fantastic.

Also, FWIW, Seattle is undefeated in MetLife Stadium.

And, as a franchise, .707 all-time (29-12) on Monday Nights.

Meanwhile, from the other side,

The Giants have been outscored 77-9 in the first halves of their four games.

Edited by Cancer

If you consider the Cards' squandering a 28-7 lead (sound familiar?) more a massive knock on them, than a positive statement about the Giants...and discount that game...

The Giants have scored a total of 5 field goals in 3 games.  NO touchdowns.  Daniel Jones has, looks like, 450 or so yards passing in those 3 games.  OK, Dallas and SF have what may well be elite defenses...but Seattle only had 5 sacks in their first 3 games.  Jones' QBRs?  22 vs. Seattle...where he had 203 yards passing;  37 against San Fran.  Against the Cowboys?  SINGLE DIGIT.  As you might expect.  One could argue that, as bad as the Bronco loss was against the Fins, the worst performance of the season is still the Cowboys' *destruction* of the Giants in week 1.  

Were it not for that collapse by Arizona, the Giants would be neck and neck with the Bears, probably.  As is...hmm....power rankings...

NFL.com:  30

Sporting News:  25

ESPN:  26

The Athletic:  29

The bottom of the pool is rather crowded.  Bears, Broncos, Panthers, Pats, Giants, Jets, Bengals, Cards.  All 8 may well be practically eliminated by Halloween, altho perhaps not.  Scheduling...Bengals play Cards next week, there's bye weeks...so some may be barely hanging on.  Yeah, to be sure, early season isn't necessarily indicative, but there's bad, and there's BAD.

Dick Butkus who played for the Chicago Bears has died at the age of 80. I recall seeing him on the TV series Blue Thunder.

I heard one story about him. After a game the opposition players were travelling home when their bus was rear-ended. A player quipped 'Someone tell Butkus the game is over'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Butkus

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

Dick Butkus who played for the Chicago Bears has died at the age of 80. I recall seeing him on the TV series Blue Thunder.

I heard one story about him. After a game the opposition players were travelling home when their bus was rear-ended. A player quipped 'Someone tell Butkus the game is over'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Butkus

I attended elementary school in Central Florida with his kids back in the 70s/early 80s, and he was an active member of our church parish. I remember seeing him frequently at church, and at events, and he was always approachable and friendly.

RIP to a family man, and an NFL great